Tidal information and current in The Channel

Questions about DKW, BSB and other well known digital charts.

Tidal information and current in The Channel

Postby broach » Fri 26 Dec 2008 - 15:32

Hi, next summer I want to sail de Rally Scheveningen - Le Crouesty. I like to use Voyager and specific the tidal information and current in the the North Sea. For the Rally I want the tidal and current information from Dover to Lands End to Le Crouesty. Does somebody has an advise to get it integrated with Voyager.
broach

Re: Tidal information and current in The Channel

Postby Bernard » Tue 03 Feb 2009 - 12:42

Voor deze rally zijn de volgende kaarten nodig:
    DKW 1801 (Noordzeekust)
    NV-FR1 (France Channel Coast)
    NV-ATL1 (Bretagne Sud)
    NV-UK2 (England Channel Coast)(optioneel)
    NAOW (Nautical Atlas of the World)(optioneel)
Greetings Bernard

Stentec Support Team
Bernard
Site Admin

Postby deckhead » Sat 02 May 2009 - 00:28

broach wrote:Hi, next summer I want to sail de Rally Scheveningen - Le Crouesty. I like to use Voyager and specific the tidal information and current in the the North Sea. For the Rally I want the tidal and current information from Dover to Lands End to Le Crouesty. Does somebody has an advise to get it integrated with Voyager.

Dear Sir,
I am new to this digital form of navigation, but to answer your qeustion. You need an Admiralty Tidal Stream Atlas which gives full details for all dates and times regarding the tidal streams around the British Isles and North Sea. Of course you will have to know how to prepare the appropriate T.S. Atlas. to accommodate your intended dates and times. You will also need to know how to calculate for 'Tidal Heights and Actual Deph's.
Regards,
deckhead.
deckhead

Postby Frank » Thu 08 Apr 2010 - 23:19

broach wrote:Hi, next summer I want to sail de Rally Scheveningen - Le Crouesty. I like to use Voyager and specific the tidal information and current in the the North Sea. For the Rally I want the tidal and current information from Dover to Lands End to Le Crouesty. Does somebody has an advise to get it integrated with Voyager.

Hi broach,
Hope your trip to Le Crouesty went well, lots of wind and several had to quit.
For your next trip and also for the benefit of others a short description of the integration possibillities of tidal and stream integration into Voyager. The Dutch straems and tidals are included.
For tidals elsewhere you can import tidals from the well known Xtide program. This procedure is described in the manual of the latest version Voyager.
For streams outside the Dutch area like the Channel there is a possibility to import those stream vectors as grib files, you find that under Navigation, Grib Management, if you use download you can select at the top "Source" select BSH currents north sea and you get a three days current prediction.
During the planning phase you will see the wind vectors at your routepoints, but not the current vectors, that works only in the north sea between the Netherlands and the UK from the NLTides database.
Succes on your next trip
Frank

Return to Digital Charts