WinGPS and Virtual Serial Ports

Share information and suggestions on Stentec's WinGPS 4 Series programs.

WinGPS and Virtual Serial Ports

Postby grevedan » Sun 15 Apr 2007 - 16:48

Greetings,

As a user / customer of WinGPS there is a "simple" software addition I'd love to see to WinGPS. I'm using some software call GPSGate (http://franson.com/gpsgate/) which allows me to convert/share the GPS signal from my HP Ipaq 6510 with multiple applications on the PDA (such as TomTom and WinGPS Mobile at the same time) but also allows me to tether the PDA with a laptop using ActiveSync and now the laptop can share the GPS connection with WinGPS 4L.

The problem I'm running into is that WinGPS apparently only enumerates ( or lists) the physical serial ports on the laptop, whereas GPSGate creates a Virtual Serial Port. The developer of GPSGate suggested that Stentec modify WinGPS to enumerate ports under registry entry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Hardware\DeviceMap\SerialComm or allowing the user to specify the Comm Port. Johan believes this will take less than an hour development and would be willing to assist.

-- dan greve
-- software engineer
-- palm bay, fl, USA

<snip Franson Forum>
johan

Posted - 04/15/2007 : 04:32:44
The virtual ports created by GpsGate are not displyed in the Device Manager. That is the only difference. This means this is is a enumeration problem.

If WinGPS enumarates the ports found under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Hardware\DeviceMap\SerialComm
it will be able to connect to the virtual ports created by GpsGate.

Another solution would be if WinGPS allowed you to manually enter a COM port. Once connected there is no differense. Same Win32 API calls.

If you contact WinGPS support they might do something about it. It is very simple, and would take them no more than an hour. They are also welcome to contact us if they need any assistance.

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support
</snip Franson Forum>
grevedan

Postby Ramon » Tue 17 Apr 2007 - 09:30

Hello,

Since the beginning of 2007 WinGPS 4 uses a different method to enumerate the installed comports on Windows 2000, XP and Vista (by using the SetupDi API). This offers more information for the enumerated ports than using the method where the ports are enumerated by reading the SerialComm registry key. WinGPS 4 used to enumerate the ports by reading the SerialComm key in previous versions, and on Windows 98 and ME, WinGPS 4 still uses this method.

After a while it became clear that not all ports could be found using this method, especially virtual comports (like GPSGate) and null-modems, as well as some bluetooth devices.

To fix this problem, future versions (starting with the next update) of WinGPS will first enumerate the ports using the SetupDi API. The ports that cannot be found with this method will be enumerated by the SerialComm key. This way all installed ports should be available in WinGPS.

Ramon Beiboer
Stentec Software
Ramon
Stentec Software Developer

Postby grevedan » Sat 21 Apr 2007 - 20:02

Excellent News Ramon,

I'll look forward to the next version of WinGPS. Gives me yet another toy on my boat while fishing the Florida Keys.

-- dan
grevedan

Re: WinGPS and Virtual Serial Ports

Postby Ingmar » Wed 26 Aug 2009 - 01:58

Hi there,

I was wondering, has this functionality been implemented yet?

Yours,
Ingmar
Ingmar

Postby Bernard » Wed 26 Aug 2009 - 08:32

Yes this is already supported. As ramon said in his message (in 2007) the enumerated ports will be supported in the next version of WinGPS.
Greetings Bernard

Stentec Support Team
Bernard
Site Admin

Postby grog » Fri 02 Oct 2009 - 17:51

This is NOT working in my place And I using the lates build 4.0.17.3, I ran also the GPSGATE and use virtuel ports, but it simly jump over those ports and only thake the phisycals ports ???

Grog
grog

Postby Bernard » Tue 06 Oct 2009 - 15:19

I've tried to run GPSGate here and it's working correct.

Can you please tell me what kind of GPS you use and what operating system?
Greetings Bernard

Stentec Support Team
Bernard
Site Admin

Postby chal.nikkal » Fri 16 Jan 2015 - 12:06

This offers more information for the enumerated ports than using the method where the ports are enumerated by reading the SerialComm registry key. WinGPS 4 used to enumerate the ports by reading the SerialComm key in previous versions, and on Windows 98 and ME, WinGPS 4 still uses this method. ???
GUL
chal.nikkal

Return to WinGPS 4 Series