Slow system and freezing screen

Share information and suggestions on Stentec's WinGPS 4 Series programs.

Slow system and freezing screen

Postby broach » Fri 26 Dec 2008 - 15:59

Hi, I got a problem with using Voyager on a laptop. With 3 interfaces to read and send messages to the Raymarine network and AIS he is so busy that the screen is sometimes frozen and the system get very slow. I think the laptop is reading so frequently and calculating the information that he cant function quite well. Can somebody tell me if it is possible to reduce the frequency of reading the interfaces? Or is there a solution I don't see at the moment. With WINGPS Pro there was no problem
broach

Re: Slow system and freezing screen

Postby joeri_01 » Sat 27 Dec 2008 - 19:42

Maby you can tell us your specifications of your pc ?

Joeri
joeri_01

Postby rinusmxu » Mon 29 Dec 2008 - 01:39

Hi Broach, Ithink I have almost the same problem, only in WinGPS 4 pro. I use a miniplex-41bt multiplexer and connect via bluetooth to a samsung nc10 mini laptop running xp with 1GB memory. Input on the multiplexer is 1) GPS 212, JRC. 2) Raymarine ST40 in seatalk format with depth, speed, heading and watertemp. 3) AIS transponder Comar CSB200 on rs232 at 38400 baud. Everything is running fine until I connect the AIS data to the multiplexer. WinGPS 4 Pro freezes as soon as I click on the screen on a random position and windows reports that the software is not responding. I will research the problem further and start by disconnecting inputs. I do have the impression that the software is not capable of handling that much data... To be continued!

Kind regards, Rinus.
Last edited by rinusmxu on Tue 30 Dec 2008 - 23:31, edited 1 time in total.
rinusmxu

Postby broach » Tue 30 Dec 2008 - 15:13

Ty, guys, I did check the requirements from Stentec, they advise Mb 518. Mine has just 256 Mb, I use a Dell inspiron 1150 with a Celeron 2.6 GHz. I wonder if the Speed will be a problem but the memory could be so my next stap will be to upgrade my laptop. IAfter the Ice is gone I can test the system again.
Kindly Regards broach
broach

Postby broach » Mon 02 Feb 2009 - 00:21

Guys, I got now a memory of 1,250 Gbyte and the system used untill now max 450 Mbyte, so this could not be the problem anymore:lol: .
Next, i did check the capacity of the cpu. I discover the interface is critical. When Voyager is working without interfacing (but with + wind,tide,routing and polairdiagram) he uses 30% cpu capacity. With interfacing operational, he uses over 100%. I did check the NMEA sentences, he did receive and send to many sentences and i put some of them off, the cpu capacity went to 80%. Now I got even cpu time for Navtec and Weatherfax.
broach
broach

Postby Bernard » Mon 02 Feb 2009 - 10:39

We know of the system performance problem. We are working on a solution for the CPU usage. We hope to have an update available before the season will start.
Greetings Bernard

Stentec Support Team
Bernard
Site Admin

Postby rinusmxu » Wed 10 Jun 2009 - 22:28

Hi guys,
After some changes made in the config I found that when the comar AIS transmitted the system locked up. I suspect that the miniplex has no screening inside to prevent RF getting in. Since the units are only 10 inches away from eachother, the problem stays! Also I can not find out if the BT module is acting strange or the multiplexer itself. NMEA data seems to be ok at the BT output.
In the beginning of the season I have tossed out the comar ais and fitted a class A Furuno FA-100. I've conneted the output from this AIS at 4800Baud to the miniplex. GPS and seatalk input has not changed. System runs ok most of the time. Although the Furuno transmits at 12 Watt (against the Comar at 2 Watt) there is no interference on the multiplexer. Distance is the same. So the problem seems to solved.....
Must be said: downloaded the latest version of wingps4pro, so maybe the guys did solve the processor load problem.

Kind regards, Rinus.
rinusmxu

Return to WinGPS 4 Series