Will boat "traffic" be possible in SS5?!!!!!

Will boat "traffic" be possible in SS5?!!!!!

Postby Barry » Thu 04 Oct 2007 - 22:37

Will boat "traffic" be possible in SS5?!!!!

...for gaff rig boats or similar, suitable for the the types of sceneries I make or rather have made, relative to a century or two ago.
Whether I make further sceneries and use SS5 would depend if this is posssible.

I no longer have any interest in sailing a solitary boat off-line with no other boats in sight and empty coastlines. Other boats need to be seen to be moving in some format whether on semi-fixed invisible tracks or whatever to attempt to portray some reality.

Just been waiting to see if this is possible in SS5 and if not, won't spend any further time with the Stentec Simulators.

"If" the SS5 is restricted to "ONLY", learning navigation and learning and practicing sailing techniques and racing it will be of no further interest to me as been a good few years now since SS 4.2 was made and no longer usable for me anyway, plus the scenery designer now seems to be useless with Vista.

I have no interest in the motorboat simulator except it has the 32 bit texture function for vegetation.

Barry
Barry

Postby Casey Jones » Fri 05 Oct 2007 - 17:24

I've got to agree with you having little use for Motorboat simulator.. It was cool for about 10 seconds..

throttle up, turn left, turn right.. up.. it's a motorboat.. > exit

traffic in SS5 would be great.. what a simulator needs to be successful is the ability to create living breathing scenarios..
Casey Jones

Postby Barry » Fri 05 Oct 2007 - 18:15

Casey Jones wrote:I've got to agree with you having little use for Motorboat simulator.. It was cool for about 10 seconds..

throttle up, turn left, turn right.. up.. it's a motorboat.. > exit

traffic in SS5 would be great.. what a simulator needs to be successful is the ability to create living breathing scenarios..

Hi - Regarding the screen-shot of SS5, this was just in their newsletter and link they gave and I don't have it on my computer.
Just a picture of a boat and under constrcuction or similar on box.
See http://www.sailsimulator.com/
for news etc.

SS5 has been delayed for a few years now I think, and only a few post on the forum now but SS5 may bring things "back to life".

Difficult to get much news from Stentec these days but as regards racing etc should be OK for you, but my interests are as detailed in my posts, etc.

We should know more before Christmas...if not postponed further.
SS5 is supposed to be due out end of November.

Anybody else posting these days or have all the crew deserted ship. :wink:

Barry
Barry

Postby ajnasreddin » Sat 06 Oct 2007 - 14:04

I would think that Stentec would have to develop some kind of AI if we want boat traffic. Not a big deal, I should think. Virtual Sailor has got it.

Personally, I got kind of tired of racing against the clock in SS4 - my internet connection is unreliable at home so I do most of my net surfing in the office (which is not fast either). Sailing from the office is not possible, so I'd like to have an artificial opponet. This is one the nice things in Virtual Skipper.

Sail Simulator still keeps my interest because the physics was great, it was user adaptable (creating sceneries and painting boats - a pity that MS didin't at least have that last function. It would have made it a bit more interesting and personal for racing), and it was nice just for taking a sail about when you didn't want to race.

We really need some extras to keep the simulator interesting.
ajnasreddin

Traffic

Postby Jeroen Schlaman » Thu 18 Oct 2007 - 15:02

Boat traffic is certainly something what's on our wish-list. How this will be implemented (using AI, using waypoints, using AIS, etc.) is being considerated at this moment.

Greetings,
Jeroen Schlaman
Stentec Developer
Jeroen Schlaman
Site Admin

Re: Traffic

Postby Barry » Sat 20 Oct 2007 - 12:57

Jeroen Schlaman wrote:Boat traffic is certainly something what's on our wish-list. How this will be implemented (using AI, using waypoints, using AIS, etc.) is being considerated at this moment.

Greetings,
Jeroen Schlaman
Stentec Developer

Regarding other moving boats in the scene off- line, essential in my opinion for any realism, but I think there are 2 seperate issues to consider.
It depends on the programming and how the calculations of the boats are made and the effect on frame rates.

I think in 4.2 current version even the static floating boats were calculated as actually sailing I seem to remember, which slowed the simulator down just by adding floating boats, when possibly some simple system could have been used which would have had little effect on frame rates.
The same could apply to additional moving boats in the same scene, off-line.

My own interests are simply to create "historical" type sceneries (a sort of true age of sail) , based on satellite dem data, of an age of about 2 centuries ago with small coastal gaff rig boats, sailing barges, and smaller suitable coastal crafts, sailing up the rivers and estuaries and along the coastline of the UK.

For this background boat traffic, complex racing type calculations are not required. Of course sceneries could be created for any era and for any country creating the coastlines, ports and harbours to the degree of complexity the user requires for any country. However keeping in mind frame rates, depending on how the simulator is programmed.

By this method many areas of coastline could be recreated and there are no limits and anybody could create them with a bit of practice.

Of course the simulator is also for learning and practicing navigation and perhaps racing off-line against one or two other boats and for this the approach would be different and the sailing and racing qualities of each boat involved would have to be considered, but again limited to a few boats otherwise frame rates could be heavily reduced.

However that would not be for me if SS5 was restricted to "ONLY" this type of function as would be just then a racing/navigation simulator, which are not my interests.

I don't know if these 2 sides to the simulator could be programmed into it or whether the qualities of additional moving boats off-line could be adjustable for simple moving background boat traffic, on paths of some sort, and for the more complex functions for off-line racing or whatever.
Blender used for my own content.

Barry

-------------------
-------------------------------
to finish scenery designer no longer loads with Vista. Vrml2 texture problem in script file with Blender at least on my computer so can't make more content. SS4.2 runs very slowly with Vista and locks up on changing sttings.

I added some sailing flats used about 2 centuries ago to the scenery below, before I got Vista, but unable to finish them as detailed above. These were just barges without leeboards used on the shallow rivers and early canals of the river Mersey area.

Just one simple example of the huge variety of small types of coastal sailing ships across the decades and centuries, which could be made, but of liitle use if all static and made floating with difficulty with the current object editor and little working now as detailed above.

Barry

Postby ajnasreddin » Sun 21 Oct 2007 - 17:03

Technology is not a problem now. Now it's just a matter of programing. Given other programs out there - even considering fairly old ones like Virtual Sailor - having other boats and ships and whatnot shouldn't effect framerates too much. Apparently having those .dds files help a bit too.

Had a look at Silent Hunter 3 and 4 - which uses waypoints with some simple AI to move ships in shipping lanes, even with a bit of ramdomness as to it's exact position - maening a ship is moving according to certain waypoints plus or minus a few miles. When approaching a ship, they will change course to avoid you, etc.

As far as racing goes, Virtual Skipper has shown us that that too is no big deal. Of course, for the amount of calculations required, I don't imagine we will have races with tens of boats. I'd still like to try a Volvo race though.

Perhaps there could be to systems - one for regular non-racing boats and another for racing boats. It would just be a matter of how many calculations you'd want.

By the way - added some extra RAM and solved some computer crashing issues. Yes, it was something that stupid. :oops: That's what I get for putting the thing together myself. Next time I'll let my friends help out a bit more.
ajnasreddin

Re: Will boat "traffic" be possible in SS5?!!!!!

Postby deckhead » Sat 02 May 2009 - 07:56

Well yes I suppose that could be possible, but only if you study the real world of navigation as a starting point.
For example with regard to being inside or outside of a navigational channel. Also the observance of the steering and sailing rules as applicable to both power and sailing vessels.
deckhead.
deckhead

Return to Sail Simulator 5 - General