How realistic is the game and whats in it.

How realistic is the game and whats in it.

Postby MECO » Tue 17 Mar 2009 - 17:28

Hi!
I am new to this forum and have looked around.
It seems to be a good sim but there is a few questions i would like to have answer on.
My intrest in sailing so far is short but strong,
i allmost fell in love with it the first time i tried that, for 2 years ago.
My girlfriend and a couple of other went out for a day with there sailing boat. , it was pure love, i had the chance to be on the boat at both sun, rain, good wind, a bit stonger wind with rough sea and at the end, allmost no wind at all in a beutiful sunset where it was cool to see that the crew knew how to use the litle wind to reach our landing area.
But, over to the sim.
How authentic is the sailing experince in the sim,
Can you use it to improve sailing knowleadge , is it near the real thing, or is there better sim out there while this is better on the graphic?
And then, the next question, is there any "learning missions" in the game so you can learn to use the things that are built in in the simulator, i.e rasie and lower sail?

Best regards / MECO
MECO

Re: How realistic is the game and whats in it.

Postby Marxx » Tue 17 Mar 2009 - 17:52

As you are asking about SS5 - my personal impression is like follows ..

1. Graphic environment - water could be nice .. but is far from reality. Hard to say anything more becouse current scenery is based just on lonely small island. Boats are reproduced well - some views trigger problems but it is minor issue. Comparing with VSK5 SS5 could win the battle

2. Sounds - very very very far from reality. Comparing to VSK current version of SS is worse.

3. Sailing - trimming much more realistic comparing to VSK5 which act rather as tactic simulator. Boat behaviour - there are some doubts, not all sails of the sails (code zero, spin, gennaker etc.) are implemented. Laser behave nice, 2-person boat is as for me "too floating" and do not "cut the water" as such class boats usualy does - at least this is my impression. Other boats without additional sails are hard to really test and check.

4. Basic "sail manevours" seems to be correct including backward movements, drift or different variant of sail operations during tack/gybes.

5. Navigation - without scenery nothing to say.

6. Clocks - quite realistic and chellenging - comparing to VSK5 it's harder to work with them.

7. Regatta/Match race - no auto ISAF rules as in VSK5 makes it much worse for pure tactic training aspect. Maybe with time it will improve.

8. Future - for VSK5 you have big, stable and growing online community with number of user created nice boats (excelent Farr40, RC44, Swan, TP52,Skippi 650, Imoca, Skiff etc.). The limit for VSK5 is already old ISAF rules, limited sceneries, limited sim mode. SS5 has potential to be at least equal player covering the gap left intentionaly by Nadeo and it's VSK5 - the question is if the Stentec has capability to acheive that goal in reasonable time. Without scenery editor, option for user boats, full set of sails available and sounds ;) replacement the product will be forgotten in a short time.

Regards,
Marek
Marxx

Postby Barry » Tue 17 Mar 2009 - 23:23

Scenery Designer in 4.2 version was quite useful once you knew how to use it. Make whatever area of the world you want and I used SRTM2 data. This in turn could be worked on and you could open up rivers, etc.
Vista made it unworkable and no longer loaded.

As far as I know Stentec are working on a Scenery Designer and Editor and there was mention of a boat Designer, but the history stretches over several years.

I think the Sceneries on the Download Station are to be made compatible with SS5, mine and others, at least I think it was mentioned by Stentec.
However my sceneries are based around 1800 as regards the terrain as easier to make that way, and also that is my area of interest. The content and boats I made with Blender exporting as vrml2.
Downloads/User Made
http://www.sailsimulator.com/

http://www.blender.org/

Also obj. file types are to be added to SS5, etc, again as far as I know.

So regarding Sceneries I think you can make them eventually, as realistic as you want to, and set them in any era of the world that you choose to download the satellite data for. As regards the sailing performance of the boats that will be up to others to discuss.

Perhaps Stentec could enlighten us with some more details of the forthcoming Scenery Designer, as they must have a basic version to create the small island plus the texturing of it.

Barry
Barry

Postby MECO » Wed 18 Mar 2009 - 08:53

ah, oki!
Thx for the answers...
Then, it will be this sim :-)
MECO

Postby deckhead » Sat 02 May 2009 - 01:26

MECO wrote:Hi!
I am new to this forum and have looked around.
It seems to be a good sim but there is a few questions i would like to have answer on.
My intrest in sailing so far is short but strong,
i allmost fell in love with it the first time i tried that, for 2 years ago.
My girlfriend and a couple of other went out for a day with there sailing boat. , it was pure love, i had the chance to be on the boat at both sun, rain, good wind, a bit stonger wind with rough sea and at the end, allmost no wind at all in a beutiful sunset where it was cool to see that the crew knew how to use the litle wind to reach our landing area.
But, over to the sim.
How authentic is the sailing experince in the sim,
Can you use it to improve sailing knowleadge , is it near the real thing, or is there better sim out there while this is better on the graphic?
And then, the next question, is there any "learning missions" in the game so you can learn to use the things that are built in in the simulator, i.e rasie and lower sail?
Nothing can beat the real thing. Though some value should be obtained from a simulator if somewhat limited. For example Rules of the Road, Collision Avoidance, Shape light and Sound Recognotion. It would be possible to simulate that, however anything else is doubtful.
deckhead.

Best regards / MECO
deckhead

Return to Sail Simulator 5 - General