MNEA Connection over Bluetooth

MNEA Connection over Bluetooth

Postby Manu BBT » Sat 19 Dec 2009 - 16:06

First of all I would like to thank Sentec for Sail Simulator 5. You get a really nice product. I have read some of the wich list from other players and I must admit that I would love also to have the things they request but one thing at a time.

At that time, I try to link SS5 to my MaxSea laptop over a Bluetooth serial connection. Unfortunately, I have failed to establish an RS-232 link between my two laptops. I will try to find a solution an Internet but if someone already got the process, it will help me.

Many thanks in advance.

Manu
Manu BBT

Re: MNEA Connection over Bluetooth

Postby Manu BBT » Mon 21 Dec 2009 - 23:52

Hi all,

I just want to let you know that I have successfuly linked my Maxsea laptop to my SS5 laptop over bluetooth. Things are pretty easy... When you understood how it works. :P

I don't know if someone is interested, to make it simple, on you "SS5 Laptop" create an incoming serial port under the Bluetooh configuration pane. Then add a device that is you "MaxSea Laptop". Start SS5 and configure it to use the serial Bluetooth port resently created and start a race. On the Bluetooth pane of your "MaxSea Laptop", right click on the Icon representing your "SS5 Laptop" and go to the properties then Services. You will see a new service that is the Serial port of your remote Laptop. Check the checkbox for this service. This will create automaticaly a serial port over Bluetooth on your "Maxsea Laptop". Then, configure your MaxSea or WinGPS software to use that port.

On my side, everything work perfectly. My boat is correctly represented on the map with information like SOG,COG, Depth, AWS and AWA. Unfortunately, to make a true routing I would need the TWS and TWA but this information is not sent throught the serial port.

For Chirstmass, I would really like to get tge TWS and TWA from SS5. :lol:

Cheers.
Manu
Manu BBT

Re: MNEA Connection over Bluetooth

Postby Manu BBT » Tue 22 Dec 2009 - 23:42

Just a short update:

1 - The MNEA connection seems to be available only in Single Mode Race. I have not been able to get it during Internet Race and seems to be unfortunately available during that type of races.Ok, it could be not fair to use it during internet races and having a software calculating Laylines and strategy but I could be really interesting has a simulator for profesional skippers.
2 - The bluetooth serial link is quite complex to establish. You need to reestablish the serial link each time you start a new race. :cry: I will try to find another way to establish the serial link, perhaps using a software that push Serial signal to a TCP/IP port.

I will let you know if I suceed.

Cheers.
Manu
Manu BBT

Return to Sail Simulator 5 - General