Sailing off the wind - downwind mark

Sailing off the wind - downwind mark

Postby Wotsit » Mon 18 Jan 2010 - 22:23

HI All,

Having recently bought SS5 im really enjoying elements of the game and like the sail trim and crew functionality.

Im really coming unstuck though sailing downwind - as I round the windward mark if find the boat rolls, the crew try to counter act and ultimately the boat capsizes. I have tried subtly rudder movements and crass attemptes at manually controlling one crew member to counter this but so far no luck. The only technique I have successfully employed is lifting the keel and slidding the boat round but this takes me very far off course and is not competitive.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated on how you manage the downwind leg of the course. I imagine crew weight, activity etc have an effect as well as manual control of sails and crew.

Your thoughts, techniques very much appreciated

Regards,
Wotsit
Wotsit

Re: Sailing off the wind - downwind mark

Postby levicurtis » Wed 03 Feb 2010 - 04:47

what boat was this in? If its the 420 it might just be a wieght issue, any wind up to about 25 knots have the crew wieght set to about, 60 kilo's for the skip, and 80 for the trapeze.
levicurtis

Re: Sailing off the wind - downwind mark

Postby sy06 » Thu 04 Feb 2010 - 00:03

Hey Wotsit,

"I have tried subtly rudder movements and crass attemptes at manually controlling one crew member to counter this but so far no luck"

These are the major issue of your problem, of course adjust weight as levicurtis say, it's also better to use manual mainsail, then you can slack it faster at upwind mark for example.
For the downwind mark, try to round the buoy very large at first and unraise the spi sooner.
And as you said, for downwind courses, try to do slow moove with mouse, counter the list with the rudder. And of course if you can try to use the crew its the best , but i think at first you must concentrate on your mainsail and your rudder.
You also can get the centerboard up to 50% this will bring you better stability( Watch out in little courses, its one thing more to do, don't forget it :)
And after all, many training to get all this in hand!! :)

Hope this will be helpfull to you

Have Fun

Sy
sy06

Return to Sail Simulator 5 - General