For the Attention of Stentec. Re my recent email.

General questions and suggestions about Motorboat Simulator

For the Attention of Stentec. Re my recent email.

Postby Barry » Sat 07 Feb 2004 - 13:59

Would be grateful if you could advise regarding the question... is there a maximum size for the settings regarding making a 3D model ship or boat floatable? I found it impossible to make the last 3D model I made floatable, the passenger steamship.

Also if possible would be grateful for a reply to the other questions I put in the email?

I realise it may take a little while to respond.

Thanks

Barry
Barry

Postby Barry » Sun 08 Feb 2004 - 22:50

I think I forgot to add in my email about the functions of "Blender" being enabled to allow future improvements in the motorboat sim to be used.

I have in mind towing for example but not online. I used this function in a train simulator for which I made drivable boats using gmax. To allow coupling between carriages (or boats) attachment points were added to the front and back. By attaching the points say 10 metre from the 3D model a reallistic towing effect was achieved through the water. Many other functions in "Blender" could also perhaps be used in the motorboat simulation.

Stentec were looking at the script file for "Blender" which is used to convert to vrml2 and am wondering about the use of "Blender" for 3D modelling, to take advantage of any new functions that become enabled in the motorboat simulation. I don't think attachment points are in the current version of "Blender" but not sure.

Barry
Barry

Postby Barry » Sat 14 Feb 2004 - 18:22

Just to bump the thread up.

Barry
Barry

Postby texino » Mon 16 Feb 2004 - 01:12

Hi, it is Texino here I am bumping the thread up as well and feeling sorry that Engineers Stentec has not answered Barry's question. One would hope that they have not been stolen by Germans.

Here in Florida there weather is mild with a steady breeze. Perfect for a nice sail. This weekend there was a terrific display of Dutch Foot Yachting put on by the New Hollander Club of N.E. Florida. As I am sure you are aware this popular sport makes use of the traditional Dutch Costume of baggy clothes and wooden shoes which when put in play by an expert makes for a heck of a down wind dash.

No one seems to know when or where foot yachting began; however, most researchers agree that it stems from the desire of the frugal Lowlander to go boating for fun for virtually no expense.

Regardless of its roots, todays sole sailors have taken advantage of industrial age advancements which have allowed for the design of custom oversize footwear which will plane over the water at thrilling speeds. While the shoe designs are quite similar, the trousers and shirt of each contestant are where creative individuality shines. Using complex weaves and connecting panels of silk which allow for sleeve and leg coordination, not only do the experts literally fly down the breeze but seem to defy nature by "tacking" and "clawing" back to windward!

Of course almost constant motion is required by these true yachtsmen and women for, as they put it, "to stall is to fall." So the initial start is by far the difference between a smart sail or calling it a day right at the dock. Yes, "Wet is Nyet!" is the rule here because sodden sleeves make for poor sails.

To aid in this, various starting styles are used. These go from the Duck or "Jesus" walk to a pull from a power boat, much like a barefoot water skier would do.

Well I have taken enough space, but who knows? Maybe we will see some Foot Yachts pop up in the next Sail Sim.

That would be so cool!

Texino Reporting
texino

Postby Barry » Tue 17 Feb 2004 - 22:10

Thanks Jeroen for email received and appreciated.

Barry
Barry

Return to Motorboat Simulator - General