Something must happen soon?

General questions and suggestions about Motorboat Simulator

Something must happen soon?

Postby Barry » Tue 16 Mar 2004 - 02:03

I know "things" are in the pipeline regarding the information in the emails I received from Stentec for the immediate future, regarding some extra functions, but the situation is starting to become tedious.

My postion is that I have the sail simulator and was waiting for the retail edition of the 1.2 version on CD rom in the UK of the motorboat simulator. This way I can pay by cheque direct to the UK supplier as I don't use credit/debit cards online and International Bank Drafts cost about £10 UK if ordering by this method from Stentec (if available).

Even a demo of the motorboat sim would have been useful.
What made me write this post is that the news letter from Stentec received today does not seem to mention the simulators but only the navigation aids, etc.

I seem to be very alone in my pursuit of model making with Blender.
It also appears that some people may be having problems opening the latest version of Blender and even some discussion on Blender for modelmaking for the sims and problems encountered etc, would be beneficial , to myself and to others.

I am using Blender first because it is free and open source. This is the main reason. There is a limit to what I can do on my own. I know some others may be making models for the sims, but where is the news, the discussion, the feedback, and most of all those snippets of information from Stentec which would help to keep my interest and maybe the interest of others ongoing.

As mentioned I know of the other simulators for sailing and have Virtual Sailor, but still feel that the Stentec sims. have that potential for realism, and ease of adding models, etc, once you get into it. Improvements will be afoot I believe in the longer tern for making the route creation easier.

Most important of all for any realism in running boats, other than online, is other boats in the scene, not bobbing up and down but moving. Initially if you can't drive you own made models then to start with any type of movement by AI, or whatever would help. For my continuing interest the scene needs to become "alive", annd not in the distant nebulous future.

Unfortunately at present the simulations seem mainly geared to the online racing fraternity which simply holds no interest for me, nor am I interested in practicing navigation with a single boat, with no other moving boats in sight.

Barry
Barry

Postby Hilbert » Tue 16 Mar 2004 - 09:43

Barry,
thanks for your continuing interest. The reason why SS & MBS weren't mentioned in the newsletter is because we're still working on the MBS update with the KNRM boat, aiming for a release soon, but that's basically no news. We're working on it though.

Hilbert
Hilbert
Stentec Software Marketing

Postby Barry » Tue 16 Mar 2004 - 20:41

Hilbert

Thanks thats good enough as it is news, at least we know it is still being developed.

Although my concern is not the rescue boat at present, just the motorboat cd rom UK 1.2 version.

Barry

:)
Barry

Postby Guest » Wed 17 Mar 2004 - 09:43

Barry,
regarding that, plans did change. When the update with the KNRM boat will be released it won't be the 1.2 CD version yet. We're waiting for a couple of translations to come in and we don't want to wait too long to let users use the new boat. So that's why an update with KNRM boat will come before the actual full CD version. I hope I'll soon be able to tell you when the full 1.2 CD version will be released.

Hilbert

Postby Barry » Wed 17 Mar 2004 - 20:21

Hilbert

The main thing is that developement is continuing with the sail and motorboat simulators!

I need a new computer to run the boat programs better anyway, as the one I am using is nearly 3 years old, so can can wait another month or 2.

Thanks

Barry
Barry

Postby Barry » Sun 02 May 2004 - 22:13

Any more progress being made with 1.2 version?

Especially interested in any new functions that can be utilised and usable in relation the the 3D models I make using "Blender", which seems to be the only realistic option costwise as free.

So about 13 mini-routes and perhaps 60 plus 3D models or so. made to date.

Expanding the functions of the Blender made models is dependant on the compatability of simulator functions with the Blender models, such as alpha texture, animation, etc?

Objects and parts of objects can be made to move easily with "Blender" but whether this function will be compatible with similar functions, if made available in the sim. I have no idea.

Barry
Barry

Postby Jan » Mon 03 May 2004 - 07:52

Hi Barry

A new version of Blender is released ( 2.33 )
It now seems to work without any problems.

Jan
Jan

Postby Guest » Mon 03 May 2004 - 19:32

Thanks Jan.

I was wondering how you were getting on with it, as will be buying a new computer in a few weeks and thought I might have had the same problems. Will download 3.33.

I asked about ordering the Blender manual from local bookshop and they mentioned it was probably due out end of May, so will get myself a copy when it come out.

Let us know how you get on with Blender as quite a few things I don't know.

Barry

Postby Barry » Mon 03 May 2004 - 19:36

Oops. My Previous post should read 2.33.
Didn't log in before so couldn't correct it.

Barry

:)
Barry

Return to Motorboat Simulator - General