Scenery under construction

General questions and suggestions about Motorboat Simulator

Scenery under construction

Postby altug » Thu 12 May 2005 - 16:25

Hello again after a long time! :D

I was working on a new scenery. This time a real location :wink: . In this experimenting version only the shore line is correct; sea and land altitudes are fictious. Depths, hills and mountains are not based on reality. My aim is to film and photograph the land formation of the area and remake the final version of the scenery: sea levels and hill top's from the chart; land formation from visual recordings as real as it gets. Barry's alpha textures are really exciting for MBS and very usefull to have realistic land objects without destroying the frame rate of the game play.

Here I post screenshots of the experimenting version together with the real location called Gocek at the Mediterranean Coast of Turkey.

Coming in winter 2005 :wink: :D

altug :D
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
altug

Postby Exocet25fr » Thu 12 May 2005 - 16:29

Hi Altug! :D

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

WOOWW WWOOWW WWOOWW!!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

NICE SCREENSHOTS! :D

I'm very impatient to try it! :D

It's not completly the desert in this forum...! :D
Jean-Marc
Exocet25fr

Postby altug » Thu 12 May 2005 - 16:31

I knew you were somewhere around :wink: Thank you :D
altug

Postby Barry » Thu 12 May 2005 - 19:26

Same as Jean Marc WOW!

Look forward to trying it when made.

Barry

:)
Barry

Postby Barry » Sun 03 Jul 2005 - 01:42

We are going to need this route to cheer us up come winter so thought I would give the thread a bump up.

Barry
Barry

Postby Barry » Wed 17 Aug 2005 - 01:17

Hi Altug.

Any more progress with your route?
Would be interesting to sail/motor on a some different realistic routes, especially those with content

Barry

Barry

Postby altug » Thu 29 Sep 2005 - 16:45

Hi Barry! :D

I have been to Gocek in July. Sailing there was really nice. Once realized that no virtual effort can replace the beauty of the real world. But since I cant live there better to have a virtual version at few click distance :D Anyway I took photos and some video recordings. But after that I did not do too much because of busy life. As I mentioned I have a navigation chart which gives me the shore contour and sea depths. I realized it will take time to make the realistic land formation from visual recordings. Plus the contents such as ports and buildings at the shores.... So I want the final version as real as it gets and this will delay my plans which I mentioned end of 2005. Untill reaching this final version I may post for download whatever I have in hand from time to time similar to what you do with N.Wales and Anglesey. But still I am not at that point neither.

And congratulations with thanks for your efforts in N.Wales and Anglesey scenery developing. Dont think I disapeared :D , I am reading the posts; downoading and enjoying your stuff but not really writing.

Greetings to all :D

altug :D
altug

Postby Barry » Thu 29 Sep 2005 - 17:51

Hi Altug and nice to hear from you.

It all takes time, as you say.
I just keep making an updated version as the ideas and content progresses.

Just keep updating your route as you make all the bits and pieces, and if you can make available for download, it will be interesting to follow your progress and ideas.

Hopefully sailsim 5 and the new Scenery Designer will make the simulators more appealing to people, and we may see more routes from others, with full content with a bit of luck.

Would be nice to have a variety of routes worldwide we could sail/motor set in all eras of time.

Barry

Barry

Postby ajnasreddin » Sat 01 Oct 2005 - 16:13

Altug,

http://www.terraserver.com/imagery/imag ... =340&t=pan

Take a look. You might download Google Earth too, although the free version is not so minutely detailed.
ajnasreddin

Postby Exocet25fr » Mon 12 Dec 2005 - 13:45

Hi Altug!

NOW it's Winter 2005! :D

Any News about your Scenery Project!? :D

It's hard to wait.......................! :P :wink:
Jean-Marc
Exocet25fr

Postby altug » Thu 02 Feb 2006 - 02:04

Hello Again :D

Sorry Jean-Marc my optimistic plan did not work with real life. Becoming a father 2 months ago can be a good excuse ;) maybe...

Thank You AJ for the link with the image of the area from the space. I noticed similar in google earth. They give the idea of land formation but I noticed it is too much hand work to do the scenery from these images.

I am still searcing a good way to finish the project. I did it for example with SRTM data, .hgt files as Jereon mentioned but the outcome is far from the reality. I am trying to mix hand drawing the sea contour with the hill formation and elevation data of SRTM. Difficult to get a satisfying result.

For me the best would be to find a printed or digital land map of the area with elevations on an apropriate scale (1:50.000) as Alex did in Lofoten. Still looking for it.

So guys I was somehow reading all the post within my absance. I will try to post more under other topics too. I am a bit back to the scenery making.... :D
altug

Return to Motorboat Simulator - General