Version 3 update available from my site.

General questions and suggestions about Motorboat Simulator

Version 3 update available from my site.

Postby Barry » Tue 17 May 2005 - 18:20

I uploaded an update to my, route which is now available for download from my site.
The route is now just over 20 megs, but a huge route, with quite a bit of content.
As before it is for motorboat 1.2 latest version, as it contains apha textured objects which do not show up sail sim or any other versions at present.

A major problem as before is that the invisible background of objects make adjacent part, or part of seperate 3D model also invisible.
So if you find trees suddenly appearing and dsappearing I have no idea of the solution as tried everything I know of in Blender.

As unable to spend any further hours looking for solution. If anYone knows please advise. Perhaps if you have Blender, or another program perhaps you could make a 32 bit texture and an alpha enabled flat sheet (plane) and post how you get on with how it appears wen others placed very close at different angles to it.

Without feedback or discussion may never be solved........

Mainly been adding trees. One or 2, or was it 1 or 2 million, to make the single trees, groups, woods and forests that you find in Wales and on the rural coastline areas, and relevant for the period of the route which is about 1830.

These appear to be littel effect on frame rates as far as I can tell.
It was around 20 frames for the 3 to 4 miles of docks at Liverpool before I placed them and seems similar now,
More on other parts of the route.
That is with the settings for water resolution and terrain at aout half.
Left the other settings at full.

Also as I say a huge route, with 5 river systems.based on maps, so trees are well spaced out and some are backdrops of potographs of rows of bushes and trees, etc, at 4 flat planes/triangles (as double sided).

Smuggling actvity been noted but probably in fashion around 1830.
Also other bits and pieces added but leave you to find them.
Castle changed to version 1, without the watergate entrance, as the one I had on was more like it was in the middle ages, except it had a white coating then. Also moved it a bit nearer the Estuary mouth of Conway river.

Even if you don't want to sail/drive on route it may be worth downloading as you can still use the objects in it.
These will be in your route folder.
Objects or buoys (includes boats).
Install direct from the folder into your Scenery Designer, full version, using the Object Editor.
If shows white copy the texture that goes with it and paste into Scenery Designer required folder.

http://www.barrywright.clara.net/modelboats3.html

Barry

:)
Barry

Postby bobhog » Wed 18 May 2005 - 13:39

Congratulations Barry, I thought Lancs to North Wales 1830 could not get better, but it has!
What we need now is some period shipping, and the ability to install them!!!
Bob Hoggarth.
bobhog

Postby Barry » Wed 18 May 2005 - 14:05

Thanks Bob.

I keep hoping we will get there with the development of the simulators.
Everything is at a slow pace here, but they are gradually evolving, and hopefully more functions will gradually get added. The more functions the more we can do with them.

If posssible if you have the full scenery designer try and make a start on a very simple route, or have a dabble with the free "Blender".
Once you see a few things you make yourself it helps to keep the interest ongoing. I saw your post on the other thread and posted about VS etc.

From the route folder you can install any of my items direct into the Scenery Designer, using the free Object Editor.
Same applies to anyother objects from other routes, etc.

Once we can get any boat or object to float easily and to be able to drive and sail them oureslves, it will addd a new dimension to the simulators. We keep hoping.

Barry

:)
Barry

Postby bobhog » Wed 18 May 2005 - 17:26

Hi Barry,

I take note of your comments vis Virtual Sailor, and presume that creating scenery may be as easy as you make it sound.
I have decided to give it a go. I have downloaded Blender, and the Demo version of the Scenery Designer Toolkit, and propose to study your tuitorial, I may well need to take you up on your offer (on another thread) of help, advice or assistance, only time will tell.
Do I need the full Scenery Design Toolkit?
Bob Hoggarth.
bobhog

Postby Barry » Wed 18 May 2005 - 19:02

Bob.
To save a map I think you need the full version of the Scenery Designer.
I think this was about £10 to £15 if bought seperately or about £10 UK more if included in the plus version.

The demo scenery designer makes maps up to about 4 miles square but don't think you can save and use them. not sure.

You may get an error notice wen you try and use the scenery designer with windows XP.
I think you need to make the program compatible to windows ME or 98 but there is a sticky thread about it.

It usually the most simplest things that seem make it difficult.
not knowing which button does what, etc.

With Blender just experiment and post if problems.
If I don't know the answers others may be able to help.
Use the Object Editor to look at the 3D model you make.
The Conway castle that I made looks good but basically just cylinders for the towers and elongated cubes for the joining walls. I think there is a tutorial for a castle on the Blender site or there was.

Just discovered one of the quays on my route had sunk 3 metres and there were dozens of them. Will fix it in version 4. Must have overwritten the file in the scenery folder.

Most 3D models are just cubes,cylinders etc.
The windlass I made was just a cylinder with elongated cubes for the arms, etc.

Barry
Barry

Return to Motorboat Simulator - General