Fifth Version of my Route - Available NOW

General questions and suggestions about Motorboat Simulator

Fifth Version of my Route - Available NOW

Postby Barry » Fri 03 Jun 2005 - 01:35

Have updated the route further.
I did mention that version 4 was the last... but as I want to use it myself... tried to make it a bit more realistic. Will try and make it available on my site in a day or 2 as takes a few hours to upload it, but just 1 meg larger than the previous version at 22 megs.

If using it in sailsim the alpha textured items will not appear correctly and will just look like black squares with pictures on...and thereare hundreds.

Due to the quantity of items it took several minutes when I first saved in Scenery Designer Toolkit but each save after that was just normal.

Anway decided to replace the cobble-stone texture sheets and made 6 pieces in Blender to fit inside all the quays to cover the 3 miles or so of docks.

Also made some simple housing and warehouses along the dock road etc.

The main addition is the gaff-rig sailing ship at about 60 feet in length.
There are 4 varieties which I made while making them and there are several in the route.
One withoout masts for boatyard, one with no sail, etc.
I can't get any to float however so all static with collision spheres.
If we get more functions in the simulators I can always try and alter them or make more.

As mentioned the mimumum size of rivers is 50 meters due to the spacing I had to use to cover the 90 kilometers or so when making the route.
The boat strarts in the river Douglas but to explain the river being 50 metres wide instead of 10 to 20 metres in parts I blame it on the very high tide as seen by the semi-submerged trees along the banks.

These are alpha textured and very flat but surprsingly very solid if you bump into them. :wink:

The collision spheres as mentioned no longer need fixing as before in wordpad, and work first go in the m/b 1.2.

Except I can't use the arrow keys to place them for some reason and have to type in values.

Thought I would practice in case I made the Amazon River someday.:wink:

Barry

P.S Will post here when available for download, but may be a day or 2 providing I can upload it OK to my Internet Service Provider.

Did make the ratlines (ladder-work) on boat with alpha texture at first, but it was making parts of the boat invisibe behind it so used flat double sided rungs of ladder between 2 lengths of rope (6 sided cylinder).

:)
Last edited by Barry on Fri 03 Jun 2005 - 23:52, edited 1 time in total.
Barry

Postby Exocet25fr » Fri 03 Jun 2005 - 13:46

Hi Barry! :D

Your last download seems corrupted...!? :cry: :oops:

I tried twice....!, but Impossible to decompress it?, Sorry! :wink:
Jean-Marc
Exocet25fr

Postby Barry » Fri 03 Jun 2005 - 14:16

Hi Jean Marc.

Was that version 4.
Should just drag out of zip afeter opening zip.
Right click on file, properties, then make sure "archive only" is not ticked etc
Then open Scenery Manager first and scroll to where you downloaded to and open.

However...just in process of uploading VERSION 5.
Taken 2 hours so far and 40 minutes left before it completes.
Now 1.15 pm.

If possible when the download becomes active on the link could you let me me know if it works as will save me dowloading my own route to test it to see if it opens OK.
That would l take me another hour as don't have a fast conection.

Perhaps version 4 got corrupted when I uploaded it to server.

Many thanks for letting me know.

Barry

Barry

Postby Barry » Fri 03 Jun 2005 - 14:55

Finished the upload thank goodness, and the download link I made on the page has now become active.

http://www.barrywright.clara.net/modelboats3.html

The upload was continuous and I did't get disconnected, so hopefully the route will download and install OK.

All that I can say is that it runs fine on my own computer.

I think the best plan in future is go for as realistic detail as possible but make a smaller route for each area around the coast at about 25 miles per route.

That would allow each area of part of coastline to be developed.
Each area could have then as many updates as wanted.

It was an interesting experiment, but I think 22 megs for one route including content, is getting a bit large for the version of the simuator as it stands and with no download facilities for routes or content by Stentec?

Perhaps when thay make the new Scenery Designer it will makes things better.

Ayway if possible perhaps let me know if it runs and may download it mysef later to check the download.

The route iteself runs fine on my own computer....
If altering anyhing in the route with the Scenery Designer the first save takes a few minutes, but if saving after that in Scenery Designer it save immediately. Don't forget to give any route you alter a new regsitration number and rename it. To save it perhaps overwriting the original.

Barry

Barry

Postby Barry » Fri 03 Jun 2005 - 20:55

The route is now available for download.
This is the Fifth version which I uploaded this morning which took about 2 and half hours upload.

Approx 22 megs.

I also downloaded it taking an hour and half with a slow connection just now, to test the download.
I removed my own version of 5 from the computer with the route manager.

The file extract OK from the zip.
Do not try and open the ssp file direct as may not open. Open the Scenery manager first then scroll to where you placed the route. Install from single file and I install to default folder and click the circle.

To get it to show up in the opening screen.
Open any route file/environment/ scenery and scroll to route and open. Then file save route and give it a name.

Don't think it is realistic to try larger or more content on it.
Best method would be to work along the coastline and make a seperate route for each area at about 25 miles or so.

Then start an entirely new route to pick up from where the last one ended.
Don't forget even if using sailsim you can still download it and use the conetnt in your own routes.
Will only look correct in 1.2 m/b at present due to the use of alpha textures. The gaff rig boat has no alpha textures.

http://www.barrywright.clara.net/modelboats3.html

Barry
Barry

Postby Exocet25fr » Sat 04 Jun 2005 - 19:38

Thanks Barry! :D

I downloaded it again , and it works good now! :D
the zip files was about only 6Mo...!? :cry: , the new is about 22Mo!

NICE UPDATE....! :wink:
Jean-Marc
Exocet25fr

Postby Barry » Sat 04 Jun 2005 - 19:53

Thanks Jean-Marc.
Glad version 5 works OK.
I have no idea what happened with the other version.

Barry

Barry

Return to Motorboat Simulator - General