What Else Needed for people to post - Not Racing.

General questions and suggestions about Motorboat Simulator

What Else Needed for people to post - Not Racing.

Postby Barry » Tue 28 Jun 2005 - 15:24

Just wondering what would get people to post again on the forum regarding non racing topics, as these are already available.

I know we can use the simulators for navigation but that just the needs the one boat and terrain with no objects except lighthouses and buoys, which again limits the use of the simulator and we have them already.

Virtual Sailor seems to have a flourishing small forum and the simulator is designed I think just by one person.

The Stentec Simulators allow us to create some things towards making a realistic ship and boat simulator but what would YOU require to make it interesting for you, and to post on the forum interesting discussions on an ongoing basis.

I know Stentec are busy creating digital charts, naviagtion software and also wind farm design as far as I know, and also "slowly" are working on the sail and motorbaot simulators and a new Scenery Designer.

In my opinion the simulators could become very good, as have made a fair amount of content and routes for them but I also know without more "improvements" they may attract a limited interest and remain farly static in appeal.

Most important I think the ability to sail/drive tyour own made boats OTHER THAN one default boat off-line.

Another very important improvement needed is that the amount of content you can add seems limited - not so much as regards frame rates, but the first save in Scenery Designer starts taking several minutes, but Ok afterwards.

So what would encourage you to post and what functions would be needed????

Barry
Barry

Postby bobhog » Wed 29 Jun 2005 - 16:58

Hi Barry,
There is no simple answer to the questions that you pose, I dont know how many people have in fact purchased the MBS software, but I suspect that it is not very many, and if this is the case, there is not the potential for an active community. I only stumbled on MBS by chance, having seen a reference to the twin inependant throttles on the VS forum. I have never seen an advert for it or any other of Stentecs products. Another point that I would make is that Stentec do not appear in the least interested. On the odd occasion that we get a response on this forum, it is the stock "we are busy on other things" answer. I wish they would be more honest and come right out and tell us that they have no intention of supporting SS and MBS. With the exception of yourself and a few others, who have provided some excellent routes, there is nothing in the sim to attract a large folloing. Any other sim (MSTS FS VS etc) come complete with a selection of decent routes, all Stentec give that is their own work, is a training island.

I still plan to have crack at a route myself, when I am a bit more mobile, but I have realised that the Isle of Man was a bit too ambitous for a starter.

Incidently, have you seen the screenshot of the water in VS7, due to be released in a months time? It uses "Bump Mapping" whatever that may be!

Bob Hoggarth.
bobhog

Postby Jan » Wed 29 Jun 2005 - 17:17

Hi Barry and Bob

I think that for the most points bob is right.
It seems that "STENTEC" has no interest supporting SS/MBS.

We have told them our wishes, but no reaction.
I tried to get a reaction with my topic "Disappointed", but still no reply.

When i see the topics about navigation and stentec's website everything is concentrating on making money with charts and navigationsoftware.

We have bought a sinking ship.

Jan
Jan

Postby Barry » Wed 29 Jun 2005 - 18:45

Hello Jan and Bob - Well at least that is 3 of us still interested and hanging on for "better times" - I know Altug is interested - Alex I think is still watching events - Texino has had some health problems but I hope he will return to forum later

The main factor I think is more boats to be got moving in the scene - preferably our own made efforts as that would encourage others to have a go - and made by Stentec but that might be just one or 2 - Give us something to work at then and we could cover all periods of time.

I could use sail or motorboat sim for my interests as could get sailing ships moving in the motorboat simulator. Not too bothered whether sails fill or not, as long there is some realism in the maritime traffic for our eras of interest.

For my part always been interested in trying to find a sailing simulator and had 3 computers now spread over 6 or 7 years.
Tried Virtual Sailor but can't realy see how you can make realistic coastal scenery with docks and ports etc, although there is a nice variety of shipping - All these could be made for the sail and motorboat simulators however, if they would just get the boats moving.

Made a number of routes including ones just for boats and canal barges for the Trainz train simulator - That has animated flat water and you can use invisible track and invisible points to change track - Also working locks and working dry dock have been made for it as the water can be at different levels - justed pasted on as a sort of animated texture - Did manage to get horses to pull my narrowboats along the canals I made in it as part of the routes - Drivable aninated horses have now been made for it by one of the forum members - but Trainz being a train simulator has everything on fixed track.

Have a copy of the MS Flight Simulator and just been trying boats in that as several have been made. Tried an inflatable fast boat and it moved OK across the water, but I don't think you could create coastal scenery too easily and seems fairly complex.

So...back to the Stentec sims which seem still to have the potential..except we just don't know when the next update will be - perhaps a few months - but with no available news could be years away, and we have no idea what it might contain?

Anyway nice hearing from you and thanks.

Barry

:)
Barry

Postby koiravahti » Wed 29 Jun 2005 - 21:40

Koiravahti is also hanging here. I'm starting to feel disappointment towards Stentec. This isn't the way how you develop software product. I know that this kind of simulator isn't the sales hit. MBS has potential and it would be shame if deveplopment ends after good start.

I checked Virtual Sailor's features. It doesn't suite for my requirements. I hope that Stentec would step up and publish some roadmap with future directions with their sim products. Silence is a bad thing in this case!
koiravahti

Postby koiravahti » Wed 29 Jun 2005 - 21:47

Here are couple of photos to cheer up you guys. These were taken from three months a go. We had a major searc&rescue mission done with MBS and real communication and navigational equipment.

koiravahti

Postby Barry » Thu 30 Jun 2005 - 00:35

Nice pictures - bringing the real world into it.

The thread is gradually getting the virtual crew together and we just need to now get the boats MOVING and off the sandbanks.
Tides would help too!

:wink:

Barry

Barry

Postby bobhog » Thu 30 Jun 2005 - 10:05

Some reaction to the issues raised on this forum from Stentec would be nice. Even if it was only to reassure us that someone there is still alive!!!
Bob Hoggarth.
bobhog

Postby Stefan » Thu 30 Jun 2005 - 12:31

Hi Guys,

Thanks for hanging on to Sail Simulator and Motorboat Simulator. We are just a small company and for us to survive we can't stay alive with just Sail Simulator and Motorboat Simulator. That's why our attention at the moment is mostly focused on the navigation software. But we still support Sail Simulator and Motorboat Simulator. We hope to start up development of Sail Simulator 5 in the near future, but this will depend on the navigation software, since there is where most money can made at the moment (because we are still company which needs money to make development of new products possible)

We know the sceneries and graphics are not the strongest part of our simulators, which attract most people to the other sims I guess, but this was never our intention, it has always been the intention to develop a simulator which was physically correct. We hope to brush up on the graphics part in the future simulators. However Barry, Altug, and others have made great looking sceneries and we hope they keep up the good work.

I think the pictures above look great, and we hope to more of them in the future. So, we hope you guys hang on and we'll start development of new simulator features soon hopefully.
Stefan
Stentec Software Developer

Postby Barry » Thu 30 Jun 2005 - 13:33

Thanks Stefan for posting and updating us on the position.
I think there are 2 main factors.

One is... Stentec just keeping in touch with us so so they know what is going on from "our department", and at the same time we know they are interested in us.

I think like Stentec we are a very small group, but at the same time can appreciate the realism that the simulators have... and the potential they could have.

Second and most important of all it just needs 1 or 2 functions for us to stay interested... and given these.. the members of the forum can do the rest.

Some method is needed for us to be able to drive/sail our own made boats - This would make all the difference - We have found out that lighting can be used - Scenery items can be made..static boats can be made ...some boats can be got to float..but only some... but we are always up against the one solitary default Stentec boat going along the empty seas off-line at any one time.

Even if these were basic functions it would do.... without all the details applied to the Stentec default boats.
I have tried looking at the files with wordpad but can't understand them - If we had some sort of configuration file we could enter the details into it ourselves to get the boats moving.. as in other simulators.. as the function must be there in the simulators somewhere, but hidden from users of the simulators.

Also perhaps some basic way of setting paths up so other moving ships/boats would be visible in the scene..perhaps by waypoints... and these would not need any special functions except to be able to move.

Barry

Barry

Postby Barry » Fri 01 Jul 2005 - 02:31

Just to bump this thread to top as has more details on it.

Barry
Barry

Postby bobhog » Fri 01 Jul 2005 - 16:23

To Stefan,

Thanks for the update on the position at Stentec, I'm sure that we all understand the position more clearly now, and will be more patient in the future.

I would like to make one point to you, however, and that is that two of our main concerns do not require any update or new version of MBS, it is information that we are looking for, namely the 3d program info for creating .mesh files in order to create our own boats, and and how to register them within the MBS.

Thanks again for your response.
Bob Hoggarth.
bobhog

Return to Motorboat Simulator - General