FINAL version 8 of route for 1.2 mb can be downloaded.

General questions and suggestions about Motorboat Simulator

FINAL version 8 of route for 1.2 mb can be downloaded.

Postby Barry » Fri 01 Jul 2005 - 16:40

This will be the FINAL version of this series.
http://www.barrywright.clara.net/modelboats3.html

Perhaps someone could advise whether it downloads/installs OK.
I know it runs OK on my computer but don't intend downlaoding it to test on a dial up connection - took 2 and half hours to upload.
See website for installation details - Object Editor - Etc.

Will probbaly work on this coastline from the Ribble extending along N.Wales, past Anglesy and Caenarvon, etc.

However for more realism large routes don't seem to be practical (this one is about 50 mile square, 5 river systems and Snowdon Mountain Range.).

Would make seperate routes of about 20 to 25 miles with more attention to detail and content on each - still set in about 1830s (and using mb sim
:wink: ). Less docks, and housing, etc in 1830s.
Stentec posted about future updates, etc on the other thread.

So we will work with whats available for now and hopefully someone on forum may make a discovery about how to move boats? PLEASE.

Ordered two sea charts of the coastline so will give me a better idea for sea depths, estuaries, etc. But they would have altered a great deal I imagine, so all a bit of guesswork.

Anyway no alterations to terrain or water. Mainly this version was to include a floating version of Hte gaff rig boat (had to add 2 invisible boxes to get it to float). Also added anchor rope, changed sail colour and added crew near anhor rope/chain.

Addes a few more lighthouses and included a seperate light cone - again only made a weak beam or would be visible during the day, and static, as no animation function for us in sim yet to revolve it. Also added a quay, lit houses, etc upriver off Ribble at Preston.

No idea what the Ribble River looked like in 1830 so just pretend.

Barry

:)
Barry

Postby bobhog » Fri 01 Jul 2005 - 17:26

Hi Barry,

Just to let you know that 8th.lancs to north wales downloaded ok (6.75 mins) and installed ok.
Bob Hoggarth.
bobhog

Postby Barry » Fri 01 Jul 2005 - 18:27

Thanks Bob. Appreciated.

Barry

Barry

Postby Exocet25fr » Fri 01 Jul 2005 - 20:59

Me too....! :D

The Final version.......!? :lol: :lol: , I don't believe you now...!
You always said that....!, LOL...! :P

Thanks for this new scenery....! :wink:
Jean-Marc
Exocet25fr

Postby bobhog » Fri 01 Jul 2005 - 21:08

Just as a matter of interest, Barry, do you have any idea of how many downloads your routes attract. This could give a usefull indication of the level of interest in the sims. I dont know if there is any counter linked to your downloads.
Bob Hoggarth.
bobhog

Postby Barry » Fri 01 Jul 2005 - 21:47

Hi Jean Marc - I think the motorboat sim is getting fed up with me now.
Need to add more inns on any future routes.
Windows need to be lit up and we could do with some sound effects of sailors singing sea shantys (wonder if that is spelt OK),
Then we can call in at every inn in all the ports for a noggin or 2 of rum (or sweet sherry). :wink:

Thanks Once Again.
----------
Bob - I get a statement from my ISP Claranet each day with the number of views of pages and it includes zip files.
Seem to be a few downloads of the route each day at present, and a few of the objects.
No idea where they are going to though.
Maybe the search engines are storing them.:wink:

I have about 12 smaller routes and versions, and about 50 objects on Texino's site so no idea about the downloads for those.

Not too bothered though about the number of downloads as makes a useful store back-up for myself as well, also have back up on CD.
If we could get half a dozen interested people discussing any routes (not just mine), or what we can make with the Stentec sims, or making content, etc that would do me fine.

May try an very early (static) paddle steamer and that could be an excuse for using the m/b sim for the 1830s.

Barry

Barry

Postby bobhog » Sat 02 Jul 2005 - 14:39

Hi Barry,

Thanks for the info.
On the subject of a Paddle Steamer, go for it. I know it is not the period you want, but there is a nice model of "Waverly" on VS. It may give you some inspiration, not that I think you need any!!

Bob Hoggarth.
bobhog

Postby Barry » Sat 02 Jul 2005 - 15:53

Hi Bob

Have run the Waverley in Virtual Sailor but rarely use VS these days.
I did go on board it once when it was at the Liverpool Landing Stage but a good few years back I think.

Paddle Steamers will just about fit into my era of interst.
Only because the docks at Liverpool grew to 6 or 7 miles later on and in 1830 they were about 3 miles as in my route.
If making docks copy a dock layout onto a flat plane in Blender made to size.
Place the objects over it and delete the flat plane with dock texture layout/map when finished.

Been looking at a site mainly postcards and photos of Isle of Man Paddlers. These were from 1830 and the top deck with no cabin, etc.

http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/IOMSP1.html

If you decide to make the Isle of Man route maybe you could make it in 2 halfs and set spacing to the default 25 metres in dem map.

For my route to get the 50 miles I set the spacing at 50 metres and you can see the jagged 50 metre stetches along the river banks, etc.

Merseyshipping is a good site for all the latest shipping related news for Liverpool

http://www.merseyshipping.co.uk/news/2005/news2005.htm

Nice chatting with you.

Barry

Barry

Return to Motorboat Simulator - General