Just for practicing Navigation/Racing or to develop further?

General questions and suggestions about Motorboat Simulator

Just for practicing Navigation/Racing or to develop further?

Postby Barry » Mon 18 Jul 2005 - 14:22

Stentec - just wondering what the position?
Don't really want to spend any further time on making routes and content for the simulators, as I think they are too limited in design at present to progress further, and to create further routes for them, etc.

Nothing against racing and navigation of course, and just about managed to set up the lat. and longitude in the last basic route I made of North Wales, and it is interesting plotting position, etc.

Just that it's more applicable to those that have boats, and racing for those that have fast connection, not a slow dial up connection, etc.... and are interested in racing.

But for a real boat simulator, tides are essential, other boats coming and going, ability to move one's own made boats, or the boats of third party input, etc, etc. I won't repeat all the details as all been metioned before.

With feedback and discussion now at almost zilch on the forum, perhaps others have a similar view?

If the simple function of makng other boats drivable, sailable was introduced, and with more than one moving boat in the scene off-line I sure there would be much more interest in the simulators, with people creating or attempting to create their own boats, from a rowing boat up to a liner.

Square riggers in my case and paddle steamers.

I know you are concentrating on the navigation software at present, and also will be working on sail sim next and probably a new scenery designer to go with it "eventually" - but what is the future direction for the simulators.

If more of the same with one boat at a time off line, no tides, etc (10 metres at Liverpool UK), just a bit too basic for me to continue with it and not really interested in looking years ahead, maybe 6 months ahead OK.

Thanks

Barry
Last edited by Barry on Tue 26 Jul 2005 - 00:33, edited 1 time in total.
Barry

Postby bobhog » Wed 20 Jul 2005 - 12:37

Barry,

When Stentec can not even reply to your points after two days, I think that their attitude towards the simulators, (and the mugs who have parted with the money) is pretty obvious. If they do reply to you, it will only the the usual promise of jam tomorrow, I sometimes think that they copy and paste previous answers.
Bob Hoggarth.
bobhog

Postby pepe3w » Fri 05 Aug 2005 - 11:29

Hello Barry, Bob

Do you think this is just "vaporware":

Future developments

Level Of Detail
Anchoring
Training course
Powerboat with 2 outboard engines (inc. powertrim)
Schip Designer inc. Style Editor, for creating your own boats
Scenery Designer version 2, inc. animated objects (for traffic, lighthouses, flashing lights). Ideal for creating a harbor approach for training purposes. Also to be used for Sail Simulator 4.2.
Improved simulation
Improved breaking waves

I found this in MBS page.

Saludos
Jose
pepe3w

Postby Barry » Sat 06 Aug 2005 - 00:34

Jose. I think Sail Simulator 5 is the next version that Stentec have started on, or will eventually start on, and I think they may have, or have started to update the Scenery Designer which is now about 3 years old.

Best to decide yourself as regards the list of future developments. They are supporting the simulators but no idea when future updates will be made or what the updates may include.

My main interest is attempting to create realistic routes with ship and boat traffic and canal routes, usually set now in early 19th Century (easier to make that way as less roads, industry, etc).

Barry

:)
Barry

Postby pepe3w » Mon 08 Aug 2005 - 10:12

But I am seeing great scenaries from you and... well, two or three more people. I will download the scenary designer demo to try to do something. Do you think it is worth to buy it?
It does not seem guessed right to me to have to pay money for a tool that enhance their own simulator.

In Virtual Salilor (we can now try version 7 beta) I see lots of people makin boats and scenaries. I think it is a very good comercial politic give free tools that complete, enhance or promote the simulator.

Well, we cant have the perfect simulator with all our wishes in just one. It is like flight simulators, you know.

Jose
8)
pepe3w

Postby Barry » Mon 08 Aug 2005 - 10:36

Hello Jose.

The demo Scenery Designer is limited I think to 4 miles and not sure if you can save a route with it.

If you are interested in route making I think it would be worth buying the Scenery Designer.

If you do buy it you may find it says you can't save a route when trying to save the dem map.

If using windows XP I think you would need to make it compatible on your computer with widows 98, or windows ME, etc. there is a "sticky" thread about it somewhere.

Free style routes such as the small routes I made are very easy to make.
A few circles makes an island etc. If you are making a route based on actual maps or charts will take longer, as I trace around the sea and land contours, to make the 50 mile route, although there are other ways.
Also use any of my content out of any of my routes if you wish, in your own route, for non commercial use only.

I have Virtual Sailor but rarely use it.
Route making seems complicated with it, and not sure what program is used for making content and even putting content into a route seems complex so rarely use it.

I suppose that is the attacttion of the Stentec simulators as fairly easy to make routes and get them to work, and you can easily put any content into the Scenery Designer with a few clicks of the mouse using the Object Edtor. Although you can only get some boats to float, and there is no function to motor or sail them.

If you wish to to make content for the Stentec simulator similar to what I made, try "Blender" which is free and about 5 megs to download.
If you want any help with routes or making content with BLender post on the forum and will try and help, or any relevant discussion etc.

I think the forum needs all the help it can get at present as very few post now on the simulator side of it.

The Stentec simulators have a good basis for realism, with realistic water effects, etc but updates etc could be a while, as Stentec as far as I know, also make navigation software, digital charts, etc.

Barry
Barry

Postby bobhog » Tue 09 Aug 2005 - 22:02

Barry,
Just to update you on the situation of Virtual Sailor, v7 , I created a scenery of the whole of the island of Ireland in under 15 mins. It is now incedebly easy, and the water quality is very much improved.
Bob Hoggarth.
bobhog

Postby Barry » Tue 09 Aug 2005 - 23:02

Hello Bob.

I didn't get around to downloading VS 7 beta. I Bought version 6 but ages ago. and when I tried to update to 6.8 then there was some mix up with the registration code and it didn't work. so automated reply said over 2 years so unable to download Beta 7.

Can't really see myself going back to using VS, as boat movement etc, especially sails, etc don't seem very realistic, although I suppose these can be fine tuned in a configuration table. Regarding the bump mapping for waves and, this is a function enabled for any? texture and several simulators for trains, etc, have bump mapping enabled. Not sure how it effects frame rates though.

I like the water effects in the Stentec simulator as a proper ships wake and waves created which interact with objects and I can easily make objects with Blender and install them easily.

Just pretty frustrating with one boat to sail at a time off-line.
The Stentec Scenery Designer is fairly easy to use once you get used to it, and realistic terrain can be created as with the Snowdon Mountaon range and river systems I made, etc. Don't suppose it's too bad for a 3 year old dem editor.

You can use satellite data etc in the Stentec dem editor as in VS now?, if you can get the right maps, as much is for the USA I think and it depends on the resolution.

If anyone is reading this post, have you any info on free satellite data maps, software, for the UK and how to use it, or convert it to greyscale, etc. Prefarably free data with reasonable resolution?

Very easy anyway to trace along the contour lines in Stentec Scenery Designer, on any map or chart you wish to use, and once that is done everything else is automatic as regards terrain. The greyscale map is then generated automaticaly and from this is generated the terrain map automatically. Its up to you what terrain colours you add.

I think Stentec will eventually produce version 5 of sailsim and an updated Scenery Designer, as they produced the Motorboat simulator, which is a big improvement over the sailsimulator, as now has more functions.

I will wait and if nothing happens in a few months may start working around the coastline in detail in 20 mile sections based on charts, etc.as all the sandbanks, narrow channels, etc can be put in and rocks easily added as objects with collision properties, and can add any content I wish, easily made with Blender, and exported to the Scenery Designer with a few clicks of the mouse..

Just wish Stentec would give us some feedaback and updated info, etc.
Hope they read this even if they don't reply :)

Barry
Barry

Postby pepe3w » Wed 10 Aug 2005 - 10:22

Hello Barry

It is a pitty, but I think nobody from Stentec is reading here, I offer myself to contribute in the spanish translation and nobody answered me.

Thanks for your offer. Sure I'll use your wonderfull objects, I just need a little piece of free time.

I am not sure what you mean with "route". I know scenery with water, land, objects, etc. A route is something you add to the scenery or is the scenery itself?

Jose
pepe3w

Postby Barry » Wed 10 Aug 2005 - 12:32

Hi Jose

Thanks for your post.
Route just another word for the download map/scenery.
I make routes for a train simulator using boats on it instead of trains so just used to using the word route.
I can understand some Spanish.

Just needs about 6 people to post to make the forum more interesting.
There is plenty to talk about relating to ships and boats and the Stentec simulators, but very few seem interested at present.

Thanks

Barry

Barry

Postby pepe3w » Mon 15 Aug 2005 - 18:42

Hi Barry

Puedes entender algo de Español? Que bien. Yo tambien he disfrutado con Train Simulator y con TrainZ.

I think there are lots of people enjoying this simulator, there are many reading and very few wirting. Like in other foruns, people are very lazy to write. But this dont means that ships, boats or this simulator are not interesting.

Jose
pepe3w

Postby Jan » Mon 15 Aug 2005 - 19:03

Hello Jose

I think the people are not lazy, i think they are tired of waiting for some reply from Stentec on the questions they have asked.
Just as Barry and other members of the forum i think both simulators ( Sail- and Motorboat ) could have a great future, but not the way Stentec handles it.

I hope you don't get so dissapointed as i got for a while.

Jan
Jan

Postby Barry » Mon 15 Aug 2005 - 21:11

Hello Jose.
I have made mainly canal boats, barges, etc for Trainz train simulator.
Also made them so they could be pulled by horses.
Last route I made for it was just for the canal boats and square rig sailing ship. No trains on it and set in about 1830.

But prefer proper boats as in the Stentec simulators.
----------------

Hi Jan

Don't give up with the simulators, its just that Stentec I think is a very small firm, with just a few people, but they have developed the simulators over the years, and each version is an improvement to what we had before.

I bought myself a few maps and charts so that will keep me busy creating routes and making content. I only live about 7 miles from Liverpool and the docks and they date back a few hundred years to the days of the sailing ships.

---------

Barry

Barry

Postby pepe3w » Fri 19 Aug 2005 - 23:54

Hello Jan

Sorry for my words, I havent a rich vocabulary in English. I mean with lazy that we all are very occupied with our daily bussines and arrive at home tired. We need an effort to come here read all this stuff and think in something interesting to write.

I dont know if Stentec is a small or big firm, but I think that its simulators are very special. This simulator is so specific... so... I dont have the exact word.. it is almost not a video game. Is like a proffesional tool to learn micro-maneuvering boats, without shine sceneries or typical funny things of games. I think that there are not too much people that like that kind of simulators. I think it would be very difficult to do then profitable.

So, I think we cant wait big and/or many investmets. Any way, we can enjoy this simulator a lot with a little imagination.

Jose
pepe3w

Postby Jan » Sat 20 Aug 2005 - 16:11

Hi Jose

Stentec is just a small company and their main business is making and selling navigation software and maps.
You are right about the sims, they are mainly for learning purposes, but i am not the only one who is thinking that the sims could have a great future if stentec would develop more seriously.
A great advantage would be better tools like the long time ago promised Ship Designer.
This is the reason why i am so disappointed.

Jan
Jan

Next

Return to Motorboat Simulator - General