Just for practicing Navigation/Racing or to develop further?

General questions and suggestions about Motorboat Simulator

Postby pepe3w » Wed 24 Aug 2005 - 09:54

Hope that a big company of boats sponsor this great simulators.

I have MBS few weeks ago and I am enjoying it a lot ... YET!
pepe3w

Postby Barry » Wed 24 Aug 2005 - 13:48

Hello Jose.

The realism is the attraction, although hopefully we will see the simulators progressing further in the future.

You can do more with the motorboat simulator with mooring boats (although mooring lines don't show). Also you can use 32 bit textures to make trees, horses, fences, bridges, etc as in my route for download. You can't do this yet with the sail-simulator. These are flat 2D, but ideal for the more distant models as keeps frame rates low

Have added a few pages back on my site with images. Tutorials for map/route making, creating models in "Blender", etc.

Barry

Happy Sailing

:)
Barry

Postby pepe3w » Wed 31 Aug 2005 - 10:07

Hello Barry

I hope too see nexts upgrades of the simulators soon.

I'll try your tutorials along this week and if I have any problem I'll ask you if you dont mind.

Thanks for your support. :D

Jose
pepe3w

Postby Barry » Wed 31 Aug 2005 - 12:41

Hello Jose.

Any problems just post and will try and help.
For route making over 4 miles needs the FULL Scenery Designer not demo version.

Also windows XP needs to be made compatible to an earllier version of windows. Just right click on Scenery Designer and make compatible.

See "Sticky" thread.
If not made compatible the dem. map won't save.

If using "Blender" to make content only about 5 megs to download and free.

Barry

Barry

Postby ajnasreddin » Thu 15 Sep 2005 - 16:34

To tell the truth, I left the forum for a bit because I was just tired of the problems. A friend of mine gave me a copy of SS 4.2, and when I went to download the update, I couldn't get it to work.

I think SS is a great simulator, but I think Stentec is a little limited in it's vision. I why don't they get all their products interconnected. I mean, Sail Simulator is really almost the same program as Motorboat Simulator - they should just make it one program. Sell a good scenery designer on the side for those of us who like that sort of thing. Incorporate the WinGPS into the games for more realism. Heck, they could throw in a few wind turbines to light the lighthouses!

Personally Barry, I'd like to be able to connect routes together. By charting sections of the coast line on different files, the computer could bring them up as you come to sail into them. That way you could sail all around Great Britian, or across the Atlantic, and the distance represented in the route file itself wouldn't matter so much.

Bottom line, I think Stentec should stop seeing their products as individual programs and try to make them inter-related. Providing more support and a forum for their users would boost the experience as well.
ajnasreddin

Postby pepe3w » Mon 19 Sep 2005 - 11:13

WOW!!

I hadn't seen the big ones Barry!

I have entered in your web and download the two big routes you have there. I had seem only the little ones in the other web.
These are great scenaries, very detailed, I can have great times sailing there. The scenary tool cannot be so bad, I think.

Sorry for my enthusiasm, I am newbie yet. :o :)

Jose.
pepe3w

Postby Barry » Mon 19 Sep 2005 - 12:28

Hi Jose pleased you liked them.
To make the 75 mile route I had to make the spacing about 60 metres so river edges a bit jagged etc.
Based on maps so some of it is fairly realistic.
I live about 7 miles from Liverpool.

Thanks

Barry

P.S. I only put 2 castles on the 75 mile route and there should be 6.
Flint, Rhuddlan, Conway, Beamaris, Caernarvon, Harlech.
Barry

Previous

Return to Motorboat Simulator - General