Is it possible to modify the shape of a Stentec boat?

General questions and suggestions about Motorboat Simulator

Is it possible to modify the shape of a Stentec boat?

Postby Aurelien » Mon 28 Jul 2008 - 11:59

Hi,

I'd like to use a ship that is a little different than the Koning willem and I know the only ships we may use are Stentec ones.
So is it possible to create a 3D model to replace the one created by stentec?
...I suppose Stentec has created a 3D Studio Shape with 3DS Max...but I am not able to read it.
...what I'd like to do is to replace the model and keep the maths.

Thanks for your help

Aurelien
Aurelien

Re: Is it possible to modify the shape of a Stentec boat?

Postby Barry » Mon 28 Jul 2008 - 17:28

No way that I know of and as far as I know limited to the default boats or reskins of them.

Barry
Barry

Postby Aurelien » Mon 28 Jul 2008 - 17:37

What I'd like to know is :
Is the file format used for the model a Stentec format or is it a 3DS Max ones? and if it is a 3DS Max one's how can I use it?

I understand the .shp organizes all .mesh but I do not find how to read these files

Aurelien
Aurelien

Postby Jeroen Schlaman » Wed 13 Aug 2008 - 11:33

Hello Aurelien,

All files we use are in Stentec fileformat and can't be read with 3DS max or similar programs. If you only want to change models, you only have to change the .mesh files. These are the actual visuals. You can download the Stentec 3D Object Editor from our website. With this program you can read .mesh files.

To get your 3DS max model into a .mesh file, just follow these steps:
* Export the 3DS max file to a VRML (.WRL) file using the 3DS max plugin designed for it.
* Open the VRML file in de 3D object editor.
* Save the loaded VRML to a Stentec .MESH file.
* It should now be readable into the simulation.

For SS5 we have written our own 3DS max exporter plugin, so models from 3DS max can be exported to a Stentec fileformat directly. This is mainly because it saves time and because VRML doesn't support the new graphical features we have implemented into the SS5 engine (such as light-maps, normal-maps, etc.).
But this exporter is not compatible with SS4 and MBS.

I hope this helps you out.
Greets,
Jeroen Schlaman
Stentec Developer
Jeroen Schlaman
Site Admin

Postby Aurelien » Tue 19 Aug 2008 - 19:26

Jeroen, thanks for your reply
I have not found how to convert my VRML model to a .mesh one...
Can you please explain me how I can do that.
I have downloaded the last version of the 3D Object Editor on sailsimulator.com and but it is said the version is 1.0.0.3 from november 2002...maybe it is not the version it should be?
Thanks
Aurélien
Aurelien

Postby Barry » Tue 19 Aug 2008 - 21:51

Aurelien wrote:Jeroen, thanks for your reply
I have not found how to convert my VRML model to a .mesh one...
Can you please explain me how I can do that.
I have downloaded the last version of the 3D Object Editor on sailsimulator.com and but it is said the version is 1.0.0.3 from november 2002...maybe it is not the version it should be?
Thanks
Aurélien

---------------------------------
Aurélien Hi

As far as I know the Object Editor you downloaded is the latest version as there have been no new versions for several years of any sail or motorboat simulator related items.

Regarding the vrml2 file this is the file that is put straight into a scenery using the object editor.

Open the vrml2 file with the Object Editor.
Now you have two choices convert to Stentec buoy file and juggle with the the Object Editor setting to try and get it to float, although the only way I managed to do that with some of my boats was put an invisible box under it, or click convert to Stentec 3D Object, S3D (Stentec file format) which is a fixed scenery object including boats if you wish. Then export to Scenery Builder.

The buoy file is used to make any item floating, boats ,buoys or whatever.
You then click export to scenery builder.

As regards making boats drivable/sailable, or to replace/alter the Stentec moving boat default files that comes with the simulator, and to alter the shape , I do not know of anyone who has made moving boats by any method, since I bought the the simulators 4 years or so ago, except to reskin them, etc, but several people have asked.

Still waiting for more developments of SS5 started almost 2 years ago.

Barry
Barry

Postby Archie » Sat 06 Apr 2013 - 05:18

Thank you Jeroen Schlama for the brief explanation. I can download the Stentec 3D Object Editor.
Archie

Return to Motorboat Simulator - General