Ordered Motor Boat Simulator but no download instructions

General questions and suggestions about Motorboat Simulator

Ordered Motor Boat Simulator but no download instructions

Postby jeffmorris » Thu 22 Dec 2005 - 03:30

After "talking" with Barry about Motor Boat Simulator on another forum, I ordered the download version of the program on 12/17/2005 and my credit card was charged to Paypal on 12/18/2005. So far, I didn't get download instructions. Is Stentec on vacation?
jeffmorris

Postby Stefan » Thu 22 Dec 2005 - 09:30

Hi Jeff,

You should've gotten the download instructions on the 17th (as they were sent), but I've sent you the instructions again, so check your mail...
Stefan
Stentec Software Developer

Postby Exocet25fr » Thu 22 Dec 2005 - 13:15

Be care....! :roll: , check your Spams too if you activated a filter.....! :wink:
Jean-Marc
Exocet25fr

Postby jeffmorris » Thu 22 Dec 2005 - 16:47

I finally got the download instructions from Stentec. After downloading and installing the programs, I tried out all of the boats included with the program. Any boats and scenery to download?
jeffmorris

Postby Barry » Thu 22 Dec 2005 - 18:52

Hi Jeff glad it got sorted out Ok.
I gave the details for downloads on the Trainz Forum (off topic)

If you go to the Stentec sailing simualtor site and the downloads page download what you don't have in your mb version.
Downloads button on top bar

We can only motor/sail the default Stentec boats.

I have a variety of sailing ships and barges and canal boats. Static or floating only as here is no function at present to move out own made boats.

The download links for routes are my site an its links

http://www.barrywright.clara.net
http://www.bozotexino.com/barryboats/barry.htm

Links to the download sites are also on the left from Stentecs Site

http://www.sailsimulator.com/

http://www.aletronix.com/sail_sim/index.html

http://www.altugphoto.com/sailsim/

http://ed50.eqo.de/

There may be others.

Barry
Barry

Postby Barry » Thu 22 Dec 2005 - 19:16

Jeff as detailed on "other" forum you will need the...

Scenery Manager to install routes which are ssp (Stentec Scenery Package).

Object Editor for easy install of s3d or buoy files, viewing, plus adds collision spheres, makes floating, resize, etc.

Style Editor but maybe that's just for s.sim.

Download these from the Stentec site. if you don't have them.

Barry
Barry

Postby jeffmorris » Thu 22 Dec 2005 - 23:17

In Virtual Sailor, there's a map of NYC area. How do I use the Scenery Designer Toolkit program? Which file formats does the program support?
jeffmorris

Postby Barry » Thu 22 Dec 2005 - 23:39

Jeff the file types you can use in the Scenery Designer are detailed in the Dem Help File, etc. It's quite a complex subject I think.

Packed (zipped) routes are usually in ssp (Stentec Scenery Package) form.

Use the scenery Manager to install them.
Or you can just install them complete in their scenery folder if not packed (I think).

I doubt if the Virtual Sailor map would load as would have it's own file types. But no idea really as different simulators.

I only trace contours at present so can't help with other details.
Just working on one now a few minutes ago and it saves as Stentec elevation data.

If using this method use a bitmap of map/chart.drawing or whatever overlaid over the blank pink dem, with the size the same as the basic dem map.

There are several ways of making routes, maps.
You can work over a 256 colour bitmap, or use a blank dem with the map overlaid on top, use satellite data etc.
Although still havn't found out myself yet and only know of the tutorial on Alex site.

The defaut (pink) blank dem is about 4 miles square. Width or height x spacing in metres equal size of dem. My last route was 2000 x 60 metres for up to 75 miles.
Maximum is 2048 (but nor sure). Better at say 25 metre spacing.
I keep mine square width and height the same.

If you,are using windows xp, make your computer compatible to an earlier version windows 2000, ME, 98, etc or it proabbly won't save a dem map.

If you wish to start on route making yourself just begin with a simple island and see if you can get it into the motorboat sim ok.
There is a tutorial for an island I think on the Stentec site and a basic tutorial on my site.
Only needs a few circles or whatever shape you want.

To make a free style route can be done in half an hour or so.

If you find out more about using 256 bitmaps I would be interested myself, as posted a thread trying to find out a few days ago but very few people post these days.

Copied from the Stentec Scenery Designer Page

"# DEM builder 1.2 to create DEM's in *.STD format that can be used by the Scenery Builder Supported formats: *.STD (Stentec), *.DEM (Vista Pro), *.BT (VT builder), *.TXT (ASCII Elevation), *.BMP (256 color grayscale bitmap)
# VT Builder transforms USGS and other DEM formats to *.BT format that can be used by DEM Builder
# Scenery Builder 1.1 reads *.STD format created by DEM Builder. Color the scenery, add VRML objects in*.WRL format. An object library is included with buoys, jetties, etc. Creates and registers sailing areas for Sail Simulator 4.2 or higher including a navigation..."

end quote

Barry
Barry

Re: Ordered Motor Boat Simulator but no download instruction

Postby Archie » Fri 16 Nov 2012 - 12:58

Well,These programs have been provided as a tool to educate boaters and are not intended to take the place of a traditional classroom setting or online/distance learning experience.!
Archie

Return to Motorboat Simulator - General