Sail Simulator crashes telkens

General question for Sail Simulator (raising sails, pulling sheets, etc.)

Sail Simulator crashes telkens

Postby kuifje09 » Sat 01 Jul 2006 - 10:33

Since a short time I am user of Sail Simulator 4.2.* and I encounter some problems. Maybe other users have (had) the same problems. Indeed, some people say bad things about SailSim, but under certain circumstances there are problems you should not expect and should not be there.

My problems with sailsim are:

It crashes al the time. Sooner or later but it does. Sometimes it is posible to abort it and do a restart, but usauly the system needs to be reset.

Secondly, the mouse pointer is invisable on the water, menus and instuments. So I have to guess where the pointer floats above....

Do you recon thes problems,? how did you solve them ?

I use wim98SE and DX 8.1 a .

My other sims and games do not crash or just seldom. But Sailsim is not playable.
kuifje09

Re: Sail Simulator crashes telkens

Postby Barry » Sat 01 Jul 2006 - 12:50

kuifje09 wrote:Since a short time I am user of Sail Simulator 4.2.* and I encounter some problems. Maybe other users have (had) the same problems. Indeed, some people say bad things about SailSim, but under certain circumstances there are problems you should not expect and should not be there.

My problems with sailsim are:

It crashes al the time. Sooner or later but it does. Sometimes it is posible to abort it and do a restart, but usauly the system needs to be reset.

Secondly, the mouse pointer is invisable on the water, menus and instuments. So I have to guess where the pointer floats above....

Do you recon thes problems,? how did you solve them ?

I use wim98SE and DX 8.1 a .

My other sims and games do not crash or just seldom. But Sailsim is not playable.

Hi I use windows XP and not too bad, but it does lock up sometimes when changing to the panel to alter functions, waves, or whatever.

I usually only use the motorboat simulator at present for this reason and others, as the collision spheres I put on my content all work with the motorboat simulator, etc, although all the routes I made are for the age of sailing ships.
I think it used to run OK on my previous computer windows ME, but that was a few years ago.

Can you make windows 98SE compatible to say windows 95.
You may need to do that if you have the the full sceney editor to be able to save a dem map, so may work with the sailsimulator as, both are a few years old now.

Also there was an update patch 4.2. I think for sailsimulator to download from the Stentec sailsim site.

Stentec mentioned sailsim 5 for November this year I think, but no mention lately about it.

Maybe email Stentec and outline the problems you are having and see if they can help?

Maybe someone will post with more details?

Barry

:)
Barry

Re: Sail Simulator crashes telkens

Postby kuifje09 » Sat 01 Jul 2006 - 13:01

I appliet the latest patches.. I think it is a bit better, but not good enough. Thats not Funny, I would realy like to play around, and make the sceneries for some dutch waters, but this way ...... its a waset of time. ( hopfully SS5 is better, but would it run on win98se? )
Thanks, some more reaktions ?
kuifje09

Postby ajnasreddin » Sun 02 Jul 2006 - 12:33

Have you downloaded the latest drivers for your graphics card, etc? If Sail Simulator is not the only program that crashes, then the problem is with your computer and not the program. You might need to update your graphic card's drivers.

You also might have some viruses that are causing problems.
ajnasreddin

Postby kuifje09 » Mon 03 Jul 2006 - 20:57

I only have this problem with SailSim... Not a driver issue. Thats for shure. But the problem seem to corrolate with much thing happening together. i.e. Let the boat make short turns with all sails up. It will crash. possibly a memory leak or other program error. But it wil also crash after a longer smooth ride... Not playable.
kuifje09

Postby Barry » Mon 03 Jul 2006 - 21:19

kuifje09 wrote:I only have this problem with SailSim... Not a driver issue. Thats for shure. But the problem seem to corrolate with much thing happening together. i.e. Let the boat make short turns with all sails up. It will crash. possibly a memory leak or other program error. But it wil also crash after a longer smooth ride... Not playable.

Hi - Although the sailsimulator does lock up occasionally with me a s I mentioned when changing settings, such as waves, wind, etc it still runs if I keep the panel small when changing settings

Also I seem to remember it did run reasonable on my previous computer running windows me.

Would it be possible to use an EARLIER driver not the latest updated driver and give that a try and see what happens.
I have read of people with other games etc having to use the driver one or 2 versions back, as the latest driver caused problems.
This was not sailsimulator though.
It is a few years old now so it should run on drivers a few years old?

Then maybe email the Stentec helpdesk.
Is it a downloaded version and is it possible the file got corrupted?
If so maybe Stentec could arrange for you to download another copy?

Barry
Barry

Postby kuifje09 » Tue 04 Jul 2006 - 20:10

Hello Barry,

What driver do you mean? My nvidea driver is not the newest, But DX8.1a is better then DX7. I thought it is the latest for win98. A newer driver should always be better then an old one and backwards compatible... I know it is'nt alway true. When expecting newer driver you could be missing functions in the library which cannot be the case now.
But think it is a problem whitin the application, not windows. i.e. I Even get floating point errors because it reads somewhere from address "FFFF" . Shure thats wrong !
I have send an email to stentec with some extra info but got no answer till now...
But I am supprised there is no fload of people saying, Yes i have problems also... Maybe they left the Sim for another?
I think, problems can and should be solved.
( maybe I will deinstall/delete all then reinstall , but will wait for stentec )
Thanks...
kuifje09

Postby Barry » Tue 04 Jul 2006 - 22:48

Hi

Just the video card driver.
I use an ati radeon 9800 pro but have not updated the drivers for a year or so.

The simulator is a few years old now the same as the Scenery Designer, which is over 3 years old I think.
Just the Motorboat simulator is more recent and runs quite well on my computer.

As you say unistall it, including any folder/directories that may remain then reinstall, and see if any improvement.

There are very few people who post on the simulator forums now.
However I can make sceneries for it quite easily now using srtm satellite data, and I use the free Blender to make the content in the sceneries for download, so that is the attraction for me.

I just hope that sail simulator 5 is still planned as described.
Stentec said they are supporting the simulators but their main priorities are the small boat navigation equipment, digital charts, etc.

http://stentec.com/

I think the sailsimulator is based on direct.x 7 and the motorboat simulator was direct.x 8.

My current version version for direct.x is 9.0c I think.

But I reckon it should run on any version of direct.x

Barry
Barry

Postby ajnasreddin » Sun 09 Jul 2006 - 16:06

Actually I had the same floating point error after I got a new computer and upgraded to Wnidows XP - however the problem disappeared after I downloaded the latest patch for Sail Simulator.

Sticky problem there.
ajnasreddin

Postby kuifje09 » Sun 08 Oct 2006 - 11:22

Sorry for me, no playing with SailSim.... however it looked good at the start.
Problem cannot be solved, and I should go to a better winXX. win 98 is not supported. So I requested a refund wich I got.
However I cannot sail on my pc now, Stentec is serious.

I hope there wil be a (new) X11 version for my linux system. That could even be a good ad-on to the linux games, for if you will call the sailsim a game.
kuifje09

Return to Sail Simulator - General