Should I make more sceneries in UK series or wait for SS5.

General question for Sail Simulator (raising sails, pulling sheets, etc.)

Should I make more sceneries in UK series or wait for SS5.

Postby Barry » Mon 03 Jul 2006 - 20:17

Still have the last one on my site for download and was waiting to see if Stentec ws going to host it on their server as with the other 8 in the series for download from the sailsimulator.

But with so little interest on these forums, plus waiting to see if we get more functions, especially other moving boats, appropriate to the age of sail. say c1800.

Nobody else interested in trying the srtm data?
If so don't forget to make the FULL Scenery Designer compatible to windows 95 if using windows XP, to save the dem map.
May work without but if not try compatible to windows 95.

SRTM satellite tutorial on my site, with the links to the sites that you will need.

Anybody out there?

Barry
Barry

Postby Barry » Tue 04 Jul 2006 - 11:00

Have emailed Stenetc and if they have a copy of the scenery I will remove Islay Jura form my site, and start section 10, or maybe jump to the Channel Islands Jersey Guernesy for change before continuing, as intended to include these as part of the series.

Barry
Barry

Postby Barry » Tue 04 Jul 2006 - 16:31

So answered my own question - Had a look at the maps of Jersey, Guernsey, Alderney and a small part of France should be covered by about 50 kilometre square, so will see if I can find the files for srtm2 and download the sections required.

I think for a change after this, will continue around Britain and use minus numbers for the opposite way. Well into Scotland so will start where the sceneries started and work anti-clockwise towards South Wales, the Bristol Channel and then Cornwall.

I doubt if some parts can be made of the UK, using srtm2 data, such as the Thames Estuary etc as too flat to pick out the rivers.

Again with this series set in about 1800, will leave out the trees this time, as can be then used with the sailsimulator. Only the motorboat simulator can use 32 bit textures for trees, etc at present.

The 8 continuous parts can be downloaded from the Stentec sailsimulator site/ downloads/ user-made.

Part 9 Islay and jura from my site.

Once Stentec confirm they have a copy will remove it to make room for the Channel Islands Scenery, etc which I will start on as detailed.

So can only hope SS5 sees one sailable old gaff-rig boat or similar, suitable for the 1800 decades, plus 32 bit texture function for coastal vegetation, tides, etc. Plus user made moving (in some form) sailing ships. Without other moving boats in a scene they appear pretty lifeless at present to me.

In conjuction with SS5 a user friendly Scenery Designer, to make is easier to use for others, and at the same time encourage Scenery Building for the simulators. Again is using the full dem editor and windows XP, make it compatible to windows 95 to save the dem. That is if it doesn't save it.

Tutorials etc on my site.

Barry

Up to Islay Jura Scotland and will start working the opposite way from where the scenery series started.
Barry

Postby ajnasreddin » Sun 09 Jul 2006 - 16:11

Barry, if you have the time and the inclination, might as well go on. God only knows when SS5 might come out - surely Stentec would mention something if they had a clue.

Anyway, don't mind me for the while as I'm have a problem with my sound card and my computer will be in the shop for a day or two.

I'll write again later. Ciao :D
ajnasreddin

Postby Barry » Sun 09 Jul 2006 - 16:55

Hi AJ and thanks.

Would be nice though if Stentec made the Scenery Designer more user friendly for everybody, and we could have dozens of people making a variety of sceneries that covered all parts of the world.... Live in hope.

Thanks

Barry
Barry

Postby ajnasreddin » Mon 17 Jul 2006 - 15:46

Hey Barry,

I'm back again. Considering what Sail Simulator is capable of, it would be a tremendous undertaking for them to do the whole world. I imagine the coast of the Netherlands is a big undertaking in itself.

The potential is there, and more is aviable on the web for people to use. Making a user friendly program that helps us do things with the data out there is almost all we need. I was talking with my 3D designer friends about Sims 2. It seems that there is a huge amount of things out there for that game which have come about in the year or so since the games release. So, people do like to contribute.

I think, though, that Stentec just ought to combine the sailing with the motoring to attract a wider interest - and anyway, we encounter sailboats and motorboats together these days in the waterways.

Sometimes I wonder if it could be possible to combine Google Earth with SS5 - they just released a new beta with 3D textured imaging:

http://earth.google.com/earth4.html

Take a look.
ajnasreddin

Postby Barry » Mon 17 Jul 2006 - 17:39

Hi AJ

Regarding Google Earth have looked at it but on dial up for download speeds.

Barry
Barry

Return to Sail Simulator - General