Will leave further scenery making for now.

General question for Sail Simulator (raising sails, pulling sheets, etc.)

Will leave further scenery making for now.

Postby Barry » Sat 29 Jul 2006 - 14:30

I will be removing the 2 latest sceneries from my site for download as Stentec has copies of these, and they should be available from their site in due course.

With the new programs for windows due out next year, I am wondering will these be supported by Stentec, as need a new computer early next year.

Also how well will the new Scenery Designer, when available, be supported with updates, bearing in mind that the present one has to be made compatible to winows 95 to save a dem map and has not been updated?

So all things considered, and like to have options I am making sceneries for Virtual Sailor, at my leisure.
See my site for latest VS download and details.

I have not abandoned scenery making with the Stentec simulators, but until I know what is happeneing with SS5, and a new Scenery Designer, maybe best to wait until SS5 appears before resuming?

Barry
Barry

Postby ajnasreddin » Sun 30 Jul 2006 - 18:39

Can't say that I blame you Barry. I'll will also probably be in the market for a new computer sometime early next year (that or gutting out my current computer - I'll have to see what is cheaper). Technology is marching on.

I'm also loosing hope in the Stentec folks. Usually there is some sort of announcement or teaser for the next version that ought to come out. If Stentec is playing hard to get, I think nobody got it.
ajnasreddin

Postby Barry » Sun 30 Jul 2006 - 19:16

Hi AJ

The new Vista? windows is due out in Jan I think and direct.x10.
This computer is in its third year and thought I would get another next Spring.

Just reinstalled windows xp. today which took me hours.
Had to uninstall windows 2nd patch before I could re-install windows, reinstall patch 2, which scuppered the video drivers which I had to reinstall, and so on.

So where do we go from here when the new windows software appears in most new computers from early next year?

The Scenery Designer still needs to be made compatible to windows 95 to save the dem map?

I understand about the navigation software priorities, but at present not even sure there will be a SS5 and especially a new Scenery Designer. I will believe it now if and when it happens.

See my site for VS scenery and drivable VS boat to download.
Demo is OK with 7.4 over. untick specular lighting.

Barry

Barry
Barry

Postby ajnasreddin » Mon 31 Jul 2006 - 18:40

When I took my computer in to get it fixed, I was surprised at how out-dated mine is! And I've only had it for about two and a half years!

Oh well, I suppose my kids can use it for their games.

I was also quite amazed at how big things are getting - hard drives with 250 GB! Of course most programs these days need a few of GBs on the hard drive anyway. I looked into the Adobe CS2 programs - looks like I'll need a better machine for them. I could handle them on my computer now, but I'd just be getting by.

A friend showed me a trailer for Medieval 2 Total War - :shock: - The graphics are quite something! It's getting pretty amazing at what's coming out. I remember the first sail simulator that I had used green outlines for everything! Seems like that was the Stone Age.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens around here.
ajnasreddin

Return to Sail Simulator - General