What have I missed?

General question for Sail Simulator (raising sails, pulling sheets, etc.)

What have I missed?

Postby ajnasreddin » Tue 19 Sep 2006 - 18:39

Hello all,

I haven't been around here too much as I've been on holiday.

When I checked my email, I got a notice about "The Future of the Stentec Sailing Simulator and next version" - which I can't recall. Was that your post Barry? Anyway, I missed something and it doesn't seem to be on the forum anymore.

Has anyone heard from the Stentec guys? Any news on the new simulator?
ajnasreddin

Postby Barry » Tue 19 Sep 2006 - 20:20

Hi AJ

Probably the thread you posted on and maybe asked to be updated on new posts.
I made a new post but nothing different to before.
Decided to delete any threads of mine that had no replies and deleted the end post on the thread you mention.

I just asked was there any news anywhere about anthing.
From Stentec or of new sceneries being made or content being created.

Apparently not ....so wasn't much point in just talking to myself anymore.

Anyway glad your back.

Can't aford to lose any of the forum crew remaining now now so all future holiday leave cancelled

:wink:

Barry
Barry

Postby ED50 » Tue 19 Sep 2006 - 21:19

Hi AJ and Barry,
during the clarification how to post my scenery on Stentec web page I asked Stefan regarding a bug I have identified in the DEM Buidler. He mentioned that it will be fixed in version 5. My interpretation of that statement is that they are still working on it.

May be we can ask him ...

Barry, congratulation to your Satelite DEM Tutorial :!: I tried it last weekend and it works perfect. I remember the weeks I build DEMs by my own :roll: and now it is completed in one hour :D . With that technique it must be possible to get more sceneries here if only a couple of additional designer starts to create their home areas.

Best Regards from Berlin
Ralf
http://www.ed50.de
ed50_sail_sim(at)yahoo.de {(at)=@ to avoid spam mails}
ED50

Postby Barry » Tue 19 Sep 2006 - 21:52

Hi Ralf that's good news.
So we now have 4 who can use satellite data easily.
Yourself, Altug, Bill and Myself.

There may be others of course, so maybe the list will grow if they post about their creations, and if anybody needs help with it, any one of us could now help.

Bill has used USA files which are 30 metres resolution I think.
You download the free version of Global Mapper and then continue with it from 3dem as in my tutorial.

I think Bill is working on a tutorial so maybe he will post more about it. I think the files only cover USA and srtm2 covers much of the world.

Just like to mention the stentec Dem is an important part of the process as by using the no data settings you can clear areas that are wrong, or if you make a mistake, and open up rivers etc that are blocked etc.

I spent a few weeks on and off myself tracing contours just making the terrain for the wales part of my sceneries and just a series of mouse clicks now needed with satellite data. Makes all the difference.

the only think we have to deal with now is laying depths which is difficult for any accuracy?

Thanks

Barry
Barry

Postby ajnasreddin » Wed 20 Sep 2006 - 14:23

Glad to hear people are still active. Unfortunately, SS seems to work less well as the years pass. Every time I make an upgrade for something, everything else needs to be upgraded.

It's long over due to have a new sail simulator.

I'd like to do some sceneries, but my scenery designer stopped working when I upgraded to Win XP - I've never been able to figure out how to get it to work again, so I gave up.

Windows Vista is around the corner, isn't it? I wonder what'll happen then.
ajnasreddin

Postby Barry » Wed 20 Sep 2006 - 14:46

ajnasreddin wrote:Glad to hear people are still active. Unfortunately, SS seems to work less well as the years pass. Every time I make an upgrade for something, everything else needs to be upgraded.

It's long over due to have a new sail simulator.

I'd like to do some sceneries, but my scenery designer stopped working when I upgraded to Win XP - I've never been able to figure out how to get it to work again, so I gave up.

Windows Vista is around the corner, isn't it? I wonder what'll happen then.

Hi AJ
I remember you telling me it wouldn't save the dem map for some reason.
I had problems with Sailsim and starting using motorboat sim.
It kept locking up on me when I changed the settings.
Funnily enough now it is working better for some unknown reason.
No idea why.

Have another experiment with it as sometimes there is no logic to these things, or at least I don't understand it.

I have XP installed and made the Scenery Designer compatible to windows 95 and it saves the dem map OK. I think it also worked when I made it compatible to 98.

Windows media player stopped working correctly so downloaded the free videolan and can run films, and everything OK.
Wordpad stopped working so downloaded open source office which had a similar one in.
I use backtrack and got wordpad to work again eventually.
May be it is something else on the computer stopping the simulators working or file has been deleted.

Start with a fresh install of the simulators but delete every trace of it first including any folders remaining.
Drop another email to Stentec and see if they have any more ideas.

Most of my ideas don't work usually but the occasional ones do. Must get you back as a a crew member or captain of the ship one way or another:wink:

Wondering about Vista myself as need a new computer early next year and Vista due out January I think.

Barry
Barry

Postby ajnasreddin » Sat 23 Sep 2006 - 14:27

Barry,

I used to play a lot of tricks to try to get my old programs running, but now it's too much of a problem. If your Windows Media and Wordpad are not working - there's a problem.

I wish that Stentec could at least have some additional patches if an all together new version is not coming out in the near future. I came across by chance on another forum that Creative Assembly's Shogun Total War, which came out maybe 10 years ago, is up to patch #15 because the fans keep asking for updates!!!!! This is maybe a record.

I recently got some new Adobe programs for my work - I can't have that not working, so I'll just sail about until Stentec brings out something new.
ajnasreddin

Postby Barry » Sat 23 Sep 2006 - 19:38

Hi AJ

It's a difficult one and bits and pieces stop working the older the programs get without updates.

I can't use the arrow keys to place the collision spheres and can't be bothered typing in the values in the Object Editor.

Used to work, but does work for a few minutes and the values then go erratic, as you try and move the collision sphere with the computer arrow keys

Stentec mentioned November in their last January newsletter for sailsim 5 but........suppose we will soon know.

Barry

:)
Barry

Return to Sail Simulator - General