Once Again any news of SS5 and new Scenery Designer dates?

General question for Sail Simulator (raising sails, pulling sheets, etc.)

Once Again any news of SS5 and new Scenery Designer dates?

Postby Barry » Tue 03 Oct 2006 - 00:00

Quoting from the January 2006 newsletter

"After the summer the development of simulation software will be continued. The release of Sail Simulator 5 is planned for the end of November. We also want to make Sail Simulator 5 and Motorboat Simulator suitable for WinGPS 4 Pro training."

So would be nice to get an update of progress or even is it still planned?

Will a new Scenery Designer be included with SS5 or seperate?
Will it be deferred to 2007?
Will it be compatible with the new windows operating system due out in a few months as I need a new computer early next year?

Some input from Stentec may encourage those that have left the forum to return to the fold, and ecourage the few that remain and post to stay?

Still maintain the Stentec simulators have a strong basis to build an excellent coastal. river, and estuary, sailing simulator (which can be used, in addition to racing and navigation, to create any era of time of the sailing ships age (as I have done), but at present it is all getting very out of date....and very limiting (for my interests).

An example is making Scenery Designer compatible to windows 95/98 in windows XP, to try and save a dem map...

Barry

Jan are you still reading the forum?

:)
Barry

Postby Jan » Tue 03 Oct 2006 - 14:07

Hi Barry

Yes, i'm still reading the forum.
Also watching the Stentec site and waiting for some announcement, but it seems that they're only interest at the moment is nautical charts and GPS hardware.
In case of the sims and scenery designer they keep silent.
So nothing has changed the passed months.

I will continue reading the forum, but if nothing changes ..

a very frustrated forum member

Jan
Jan

Postby Barry » Tue 03 Oct 2006 - 15:07

Hi Jan and great to hear from you.

We wait...but not too long as I feel exactly the same as you.

Thanks

Barry

Barry

Postby Barry » Sat 07 Oct 2006 - 10:58

Can't see what else I can do now. I could make more sceneries of the same based on srtm2 satellite data, adding whatever I wish to make for them but the realism is not there without the functions in the simulators.

Plus the fact the Sailing Simulator sees to run at about half the frame rates when the the same scenery is run in the motorboat simulator. But the water in that stops moving sometimes.
Sailing Simulator still locks up sometimes when looking at the map or changing settings.

There also appears to be a limit to the amount of content that can be added but has nothing to do with frame rates when running the scenery.

This appears to be when you save the Scenery in the scenery Designer. The first save takes longer and longer up toa few minutes?

Needs to be made compaitible to windows 95/98 to save a dem map as Scenery Designer 4 years old.

Collision spheres need to be fixed in wordpad to work in the sailing simulator but work Ok without it in motorboat simualtor.
32 bit textures for trees etc only work in motorboat simualator

Anyway basically I need the function to have other moving user made boats in the scene as my interests are smaller gaff rig boats, etc. Even fixed sail will do me fine as just needed for creating a scene.

Up to about 10 metres of tides near where I live and 5 to 10 metres around the surrounding coastlines so tides are essential for any realism.

I know much of this was mentioned for SS5 and a new scenery designer but for several months things have just gone "silent", and there have been no posts relevant to scenery making or to anything relevant to the simulators on these forums by Stentec for several months I think.

There only appears to be a handful of people who make sceneries and content and post, with little discussion about anything relating to scenery making or sailing for that matter, with the exception of course of the same few people.

So sailing my one solitary boat without another moving ship in sight is just not realistic, in any of my 12 or so sceneries available for download from the Stentec site.

Barry
Last edited by Barry on Mon 15 Jan 2007 - 12:57, edited 1 time in total.
Barry

Postby Jan » Thu 12 Oct 2006 - 12:25

Hello Barry and other members of the forum,

I have got contact with Stefan from Stentec.
He wrote me that the delay they have is caused by the illness of one of their programmers. This programmer started working again.
Additionall they will engage some new programmers.

The development of both sims will be continued.
Also some reaction (statement?) will come in the near future.

Jan
Jan

Postby Barry » Thu 12 Oct 2006 - 13:11

Thanks Jan for posting the update. Much appreciated.

Would like to stay with the Stentec simulators "if possible".
Can't really see any other suitable alternatives for me at present.

Have looked at and made content and sceneries for Virtual Sailor.
Also have Ship Simulator 2006.

But can make sceneries and content easily for the Stentec Simulators.

Barry

Barry

Postby ajnasreddin » Sat 28 Oct 2006 - 18:56

Hello everybody,

I revisited the DEM/scenery builder and couldn't get it to work properly again. So, I officially give up on it.

I suppose I'll just be sailing about until Stentec comes out with their next version - which will be when?

Couldn't you Stentec folk tease us just a bit? Tell us a little something about the next simulator? Please? Pretty please?

I'm also getting my six-year-old son into sailing. Naturally he likes his own boat (colored rather haphazardly like some modern art paintings). I hope we'll still be able to have that option in the next sail simulator - and not limited to one style like in MS.
ajnasreddin

Postby Barry » Fri 03 Nov 2006 - 19:58

Hi

Quote from Newsletter.......

"Stentec is contracting new employees to speed up development and increase its marketing position. In 2007 high priority will be given to the marketing and development of the WinGPS 4-series and Sail Simulator 5."

???

Barry
Barry

Postby ajnasreddin » Sat 04 Nov 2006 - 16:48

It'd be nice to hear about what they have planned for SS5. So 2007 - just in time for the America's Cup? It could be a good marketing strategy.

I took another look at the DEM builder, etc. I downloaded an updated driver for my video card - and strangely the thing seems to work. :shock:

Unfortunately, now the Sail Simulator seems to have a few bugs in it. Maybe I ought to put it on Win 95 compatibility too!

Well, Barry, we've waited this long, a few extra months is no big problem, eh?
ajnasreddin

Postby Barry » Sat 04 Nov 2006 - 18:22

ajnasreddin wrote:It'd be nice to hear about what they have planned for SS5. So 2007 - just in time for the America's Cup? It could be a good marketing strategy.

I took another look at the DEM builder, etc. I downloaded an updated driver for my video card - and strangely the thing seems to work. :shock:

Unfortunately, now the Sail Simulator seems to have a few bugs in it. Maybe I ought to put it on Win 95 compatibility too!

Well, Barry, we've waited this long, a few extra months is no big problem, eh?

-------------------------
Hi AJ

OK for say Spring but if again deferred to Autumn amd so on, etc not so good, as long as it doesn't become "sometime never".
Never sure what is happening, so my posts vary, with my mood :wink:

Sail sim was made 2003 I think so maybe try compatible to windows 95. I think mine is compatible to windows 98/ME.
Have a dabble with the Satellite data while "windows" is in good mood with your dem editor, and try not to upset it.
:wink:
The co-ordinates on the ftp srtm2 satellite page are the bottom left corner of each section of the map area.

Barry
Barry

Postby ajnasreddin » Sat 11 Nov 2006 - 16:22

Well, my flying buff friend came to inform me that Microsoft Flight Simulator 10 is out. Apparently it is quite amazing. One ought to note a couple of things:

1. It is made for Windows Vista, but will run on XP. Apparently the two operating systems do not run exactly the same - due most likely to the changes in hardware technology (like newer computers having much more RAM - 1or 2 GB). I suspect the Stentec guys have looked into this - maybe the reason for a delay in releasing the game.

2. Flight Simulator has "sceneries" too - and all made from satellite data with textures. The whole world in basically there. Apparently you can circumnavigate without ever needing to stop the game and load up a new scenery! I should hope Stentec could do the same for our boats. And for Barry - yes there is opportunity for user made sceneries - So why not us too. Also it seems that saavy users make airplanes too - but that seems to need a bit of 3D know-how.

3. There is some computer AI activity of planes, trains, boats, trucks, cars, etc., etc. - SO the idea is that you don't feel like you're the last surviving human on the planet while flying around.

4. There is some airplane realism - staying in contact with air traffic controlers, using fuel - also getting fuel (you need to go to a special place to get it, if you don't want to finish the simulation and restart) - cockpit setup (not just instruments that float around, though you have that option too). Of course, there are some real planes to choose from - not generic planes. Stentec should look into getting a few Swans, Catalinas, etc.

5. The are some 2000-3000 airports around the world to choose from! Some of the seaports that amphibious planes use.

Well, anyway, that might give you some idea. It seems the program is rather large - takes up about 15GB on the hard drive! Take a look:

http://www.microsoft.com/games/pc/fligh ... x#overview

Although Microsoft has built up this program over the last couple of decades. I think that with some tools - scenery and object builders - we Sailsimulator die-hards could do a thing or two as well.

:? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :D
ajnasreddin

Postby ajnasreddin » Sat 11 Nov 2006 - 16:23

Well, my flying buff friend came to inform me that Microsoft Flight Simulator 10 is out. Apparently it is quite amazing. One ought to note a couple of things:

1. It is made for Windows Vista, but will run on XP. Apparently the two operating systems do not run exactly the same - due most likely to the changes in hardware technology (like newer computers having much more RAM - 1or 2 GB). I suspect the Stentec guys have looked into this - maybe the reason for a delay in releasing the game.

2. Flight Simulator has "sceneries" too - and all made from satellite data with textures. The whole world in basically there. Apparently you can circumnavigate without ever needing to stop the game and load up a new scenery! I should hope Stentec could do the same for our boats. And for Barry - yes there is opportunity for user made sceneries - So why not us too. Also it seems that saavy users make airplanes too - but that seems to need a bit of 3D know-how.

3. There is some computer AI activity of planes, trains, boats, trucks, cars, etc., etc. - SO the idea is that you don't feel like you're the last surviving human on the planet while flying around.

4. There is some airplane realism - staying in contact with air traffic controlers, using fuel - also getting fuel (you need to go to a special place to get it, if you don't want to finish the simulation and restart) - cockpit setup (not just instruments that float around, though you have that option too). Of course, there are some real planes to choose from - not generic planes. Stentec should look into getting a few Swans, Catalinas, etc.

5. The are some 2000-3000 airports around the world to choose from! Some of the seaports that amphibious planes use.

Well, anyway, that might give you some idea. It seems the program is rather large - takes up about 15GB on the hard drive! Take a look:

http://www.microsoft.com/games/pc/fligh ... x#overview

Although Microsoft has built up this program over the last couple of decades. I think that with some tools - scenery and object builders - we Sailsimulator die-hards could do a thing or two as well.

:? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :D
ajnasreddin

Postby Barry » Sat 11 Nov 2006 - 18:22

Hi AJ

I have the last version but hardly used it.
Did try the flying boat though as easier to land. There is a floating basic seaplane in one of my sceneries, but not much use just floating!
Hope Stentec don't make ss5 so that you have to keep the disc in the drive, as puts me off using simulators.

I suppose we could have 2000 to 3000 ports the same as the airports.
In Virtual Sailor you can sail from one scenery into another adjacent one. If we had that function as well in SS5 to load the area of a seperate map as you reach it, we would have unlimited sailing area as the sceneries are easy enough to make.

They did mention a while ago about larger sceneries being possible by moving the centre of view or something similar.

Barry
Last edited by Barry on Mon 13 Nov 2006 - 13:11, edited 1 time in total.
Barry

Postby Barry » Sun 12 Nov 2006 - 14:52

To expand the idea of 2000 to 3000 ports they could be made as variable modules. Different shaped docks, etc are easily made from just 4 or so shapes. I made a set of matching quays and infills a year or 2 ago and by rotating them any number of different dock shapes could be made similar to the Liverpool docks I made. These had linking waterways to join docks, etc.
2000 to 3000 ports and harbours no problem :wink:

But with hardly anybody interested in making content or sceneries and without the function to get user made boats moving..............?

Barry

Barry

Postby ajnasreddin » Mon 13 Nov 2006 - 16:10

Hey Barry. I looked at the website - it says there are 24,000 airports! :shock: Still, a lot of little airports are no more than a grass strip someplace. I'm sure they didn't individually model each one, but as you said have some basic models that they sprinkle around.

Here's an article about the scenery:

http://www.fsinsider.com/Community/Deve ... ulator.htm

The pictures look good. Of course if you're a few thousand metres up in the air, most things will look nice. Still, for the distant, inland views the idea would work - much better than what Stentec have now. Trees, buildings, and what-not can be added on a port-by-port basis. The view from a boat also means that not absolutly everything needs to be included in the scenery. I'd be happy if things looked good just from the helmsman view. What's interesting is that they did the whole world. Apparently users will be able to add individual sceneries of their local areas to make it more realitic - but the foundation is already there. I suppose one could use a snapshot from a google Earth as a terxture and build up from that.

I understand Virtual Sailor had a lot of user input, but that it is falling off because it's still basically running on DX 8 - so the framerates take a big hit with the amount of detail people want in there sceneries. (I think the Flight Simulator tries for 20fps on the lower end computers - remember that motion pictures run at 24fps) Still, VS looked pretty good.

As far as interest goes - I don't think much will linger for the old SS4. If Stentec waits too, too long, it'll be like launching a new program on the market because all the old users will have forgotten about it. As for myself, I have just decided to wait until the new version comes out. Other than the DEM map, I suspect everything else will be different. It would be nice if the whole world were there so we didn't have to make the maps in the first place. Just give us the house and we'll decorate it!
ajnasreddin

Next

Return to Sail Simulator - General