Information from Stentec

General question for Sail Simulator (raising sails, pulling sheets, etc.)

Information from Stentec

Postby Jan » Wed 03 Jan 2007 - 20:58

Hello all

On their dutch site Stentec tells that they have restarted the development of both sims.
A beta-version of SailSim 5 is planned for end of September and the final release for November '07.
For the MotorboatSim there is no information.
I hope they give us some info about the features.

Jan
Jan

Postby Barry » Wed 03 Jan 2007 - 21:40

Hi Jan Thanks for the update.
Don't think I will be waiting.

Barry
Barry

Postby ajnasreddin » Sat 06 Jan 2007 - 18:52

Don't worry about Barry. I don't see too much out there quite like Sail Simulator. While SS 4+ stopped working on my computer, I didn't find anything really to replace it.

So, Christmas 2007, eh? Not too surprising really, considering the platform and OS changes - and the amount of time these programs need to be written. I hope it will be something fantastic - you all need to get your sailing crew back. I hope it'll be graphicly stunning and quite a bit more flexible than the old version.

I'm not retired like Barry - I've got plenty of work to keep me busy. I'll keep an eye out for it come next year.

It might be a good idea to drop some teasers and screenshots when you get them!
ajnasreddin

Postby ajnasreddin » Sat 06 Jan 2007 - 18:58

I know it can be a pain, but could you guys send us a translation of any important info that comes on the "Dutch site?"
ajnasreddin

Postby Jan » Sat 06 Jan 2007 - 19:51

Hi AJ

If there is something new on the dutch site that seems interresting for other forum members i can post it on the forum.

Jan
Jan

Postby Barry » Sat 06 Jan 2007 - 21:00

Deleted - refer to my other posts.
Last edited by Barry on Sun 07 Jan 2007 - 02:59, edited 1 time in total.
Barry

Postby Barry » Sat 06 Jan 2007 - 23:33

P.S I forgot to add what is the position with the ALL IMPORTANT Scenery and Dem Editor especially in relation to srtm2 data. There has been no mention of the Scenery Editor in relation to SS5, only SS5 is mentioned which is a racing and sail navigation simulator, which may not fit my interests. Will it be integrated into it.

Barry
Last edited by Barry on Sat 06 Jan 2007 - 23:37, edited 1 time in total.
Barry

Postby Jan » Sat 06 Jan 2007 - 23:37

Hi Barry

I wrote a mail to Jeroen from stentec.
Also mentioned this point (Scenery designer).
now waiting for a reply.

Jan
Last edited by Jan on Sat 06 Jan 2007 - 23:49, edited 1 time in total.
Jan

Postby Barry » Sat 06 Jan 2007 - 23:40

Hi Jan thats strange we both posted at 1 minute apart.

When more facts are known and clarified perhaps my interest will return.

Thanks for the updates

Barry

:)
Barry

Postby Barry » Tue 09 Jan 2007 - 00:44

ajnasreddin wrote:Don't worry about Barry. I don't see too much out there quite like Sail Simulator. While SS 4+ stopped working on my computer, I didn't find anything really to replace it.

So, Christmas 2007, eh? Not too surprising really, considering the platform and OS changes - and the amount of time these programs need to be written. I hope it will be something fantastic - you all need to get your sailing crew back. I hope it'll be graphicly stunning and quite a bit more flexible than the old version.

I'm not retired like Barry - I've got plenty of work to keep me busy. I'll keep an eye out for it come next year.

It might be a good idea to drop some teasers and screenshots when you get them!

AJ entirely the opposite to what you say.
Only to do with current support for the present simulator and editors, available functions in the current software, or in the forthcoming SS5, to be suitable for my interests which are not racing or navigation or solitary boats, and permanency of the simulators related to computer software.

Barry
Barry

Postby Barry » Tue 16 Jan 2007 - 23:54

The all important Scenery and Dem editors without which the Stentec simulators would hold no further interest for me.

As mentioned the question is will the current ones run with Vista I think due out very soon. However as the current ones have had no updates for 4 years or so I think, and the dem editor needs making compatible to windows 95 to save dem map at present it does create some doubt.
I will find out myself though in 4-5 months.

Again although SS5 has been mentioned for November no details available for the scenery and Dem editors.
So hope Jan gets a reply from Stentec regarding this.

If you want to expand your use of Blender look at Crystal Space and plug in functions for Blender. Crystal space is a new open source game engine which I think they also wish to link into Blender or some of its function with a script. Version one of Crystal Space is now out.

http://b2cs.delcorp.org/index.php/Main_Page

Barry
Barry

Postby Jan » Wed 17 Jan 2007 - 19:10

Hi Barry

Stentec is now updating the Motorboat sim for using with DirectX 9 and later to DirectX 10 (the newest is 11 i think) and from this they will build a new Sail sim.
For objects they are thinking about using Google SketchUp which is available for free, but this free program does not export to VRML(only the PRO-version for about 450Euro), so we can not use the older parts anymore.
This is at the moment the only information they can give, but as soon as there is something new they will inform us.

Jan
Jan

Postby Barry » Wed 17 Jan 2007 - 19:40

Jan wrote:Hi Barry

Stentec is now updating the Motorboat sim for using with DirectX 9 and later to DirectX 10 (the newest is 11 i think) and from this they will build a new Sail sim.
For objects they are thinking about using Google SketchUp which is available for free, but this free program does not export to VRML(only the PRO-version for about 450Euro), so we can not use the older parts anymore.
This is at the moment the only information they can give, but as soon as there is something new they will inform us.

Jan

Thanks Jan and appreciate your info.

Barry

:)
Last edited by Barry on Thu 25 Jan 2007 - 01:34, edited 1 time in total.
Barry

Postby Stefan » Thu 18 Jan 2007 - 09:08

Jan wrote:Hi Barry

Jan

Jan, Vista will ship with DirectX10 and it will probably later become available for Windows XP. The current version is still DirectX9. We are also looking at SketchUp as a format for creating 3D-models because it is free, but we will also continue supporting VRML (for instance because it is the only format we've found so far that can handle animations any good). When I know more, I will post it on the forum.
Stefan
Stentec Software Developer

Postby Barry » Thu 18 Jan 2007 - 13:09

I thought sketch-up was free for only a limited number of hours or as Jan detailed, and the full version was quite expensive.? However have not used it myself so far.

All my content I have made with Blender, used worldwide, open source and continually being updated, and can now export to numerous file types. It is also easy to use once you understand the basics.

The drawback is, at present the vrml2 file exported does not support animation. However possibly an updated script will carry animation eventually? At least that is how I understand it.

When more information becomes available regarding SS5, as regards the scenery and dem. editor perhaps things will become clearer for me.

Barry
Barry

Next

Return to Sail Simulator - General