Nvidia or Ati Card for new computer re-Stentec sailsim,etc ?

General question for Sail Simulator (raising sails, pulling sheets, etc.)

Nvidia or Ati Card for new computer re-Stentec sailsim,etc ?

Postby Barry » Tue 06 Feb 2007 - 18:03

I think AJ mentioned in another thread that his Nvidia card was causing white patches.
I will be getting a new computer in a few months and a bit puzzled now with the graphics cards.
I will be buying one from Evesham as with this computer but you can choose from a range of graphics cards and other components.

I am not looking for a high end system just one that will work OK mainly with the Stentec sail and motorboat simulators and scenery designer, and maybe the kuju train sim due out in a few months (might see if I can make some canal networks and canal boat traffic as I did with Trainz, but depending on file types as using 3DCanvas I think), as my only other requirements are my web site, etc. The nvidia card I was thinking of was 256MB NVIDIA 7900GS
or ATI...X800GTO
So would the Stentec sims run OK on it for several years or white patches, etc?
The available cards above this are into the £100s, so will see if any of these drop well down over next 3-4 months.

My current card is an ati radeon 9800pro I think.
Probably now going on for 4 years old but still works reasonable fro most programs.

Think Vista may need 2000 ram instead of 1000 so thats an extra £100 plus on price.

Barry
Barry

Postby Stefan » Wed 07 Feb 2007 - 10:24

Hi Barry,

Both graphics cards should work. We're using Nvidia 6600, 7600 and Ati X300 and X1600 graphics cards here with no problems. Both the 7900GS and ATI X800GTO should work.
Stefan
Stentec Software Developer

Postby Barry » Wed 07 Feb 2007 - 12:59

Stefan wrote:Hi Barry,

Both graphics cards should work. We're using Nvidia 6600, 7600 and Ati X300 and X1600 graphics cards here with no problems. Both the 7900GS and ATI X800GTO should work.

Thanks Stefan for the info.
Vista I think could be a problem but still a few months off till I find out for sure.
In one on my posts on ship simulator 2006 I mentioned the Stentec sail sim dem.
Apparently when he tried it didn't work with Vista, so may be the same with scenery editor and full sail sim, so will see if he posts again as regards making it compatible to windows 95/98?

Barry
:)
Barry

Return to Sail Simulator - General