Gaff Rig Boats & Square Rig.

General question for Sail Simulator (raising sails, pulling sheets, etc.)

Gaff Rig Boats & Square Rig.

Postby Barry » Tue 01 May 2007 - 12:51

Gaff Rig Boats & Square rig.

The latest update from Stentec received a few days ago mentions that SS5 is well under way and beta should be end of September.
As I have no idea of contents, just like to put it on record that my interests are older sceneries which need compatible boats to go with them for any realism.

To date most of the sceneries I have made, static floating boats and content, I have tried to set in the age of sail of about 2 centuries ago, give or take a century either side.

Gaff rig boats may need seperate programming for the sail function? I don't mind static sails and moving boats, either as a complete animation or as background traffic, as long as there is one gaffrig sailable boat available, and other moving boats in a scene compatible to the era.

Of course these are just my interests as I have no interest in navigation, racing, or learning to sail.

I did have my own small boat, a 21 feet sloop many, many, moons ago, in the distant past, for about a year which I had moored on the river Douglas, off the River Ribble, after sailing it from the river Alt.

Whether any of what I have mentioned will be available in SS5 I have no idea, and I know there is to be a new scenery designer and a boat designer, but I have no idea of what functions these will have. Of course I fully understand the Stentec simulators are for navigation, sail training and racing, but surprising how simulators, if the functions in it are flexible enough, can be used, as I have made sailing ships, horse drawn barges and about 7 miles of Liverpool docks c1910 for a train simulator. :wink:

So hopefully, I will be interested enough to continue with SS5, making sceneries and content, once a disc version with scenery designer, is available from my usual UK supplier.

Or maybe I will just go on a world cruise instead...if I win the lottery :wink:

Barry

:)
Barry

Postby ajnasreddin » Sat 05 May 2007 - 17:39

Barry,

Some of those old gaffers are still being sailed today. In the States, the Friendship Sloop is still a popular design which is being made now even in fiberglass.

The Valk is a bit of a gaff rig isn't it?

It would be great if there were a way to add user-made boats, like Virtual Sailor - or even as people add airplanes to Flight Simulator.

One of my hobbies is designing sailboats (though I have never really built any - did a few models of them in the past). It would be great if I could try them out in a virtual world. :lol:

It'd even be interesting if we could change the rigging on some sailboats - try a bermuda or a gaff rigging to see how they sail.

Over all, I'd like to see a more variety of mid-sized (30-40 feet) boats. I'm still dreaming of that 'round-the-world trip.
ajnasreddin

Postby Barry » Sat 05 May 2007 - 19:10

Hi AJ... if all goes well with the the new boat designer mentioned by Stentec and scenery designer in their update we should be able to design "and" sail different types of boats not just change the skins(textures), in addition to the default boats, etc.

The only problem with gaff-rig is the 4 sided sails and if the configuration is only for 3 sides we are scuppered. Maybe could just use the jib sail?

I think I will just stay wih the Stentec simulators for the duration as can't really see any alternatives and have considered ship-sim and Virtual Sailor.

Hope everything will work with the latest computers without problems?

Will be waiting for the CD version myself hopefullly, as on dial-up and I don't buy online, etc.

I think the configuration that you type in sets the sailing and movement characteristics, at least in some simulators.
A box or house will fly in a flight sim I have been told, and I have made sailing boats on invisible track in a train sim.. The simulator doesn't know they are boats
In Virtual Sailor I have raised the boat clear of water and it still sailed, etc.

I suppose it all depends how it is programmed.
Would like to see if I could get my narrow boats moving even if I have to add an invisible sail to them.
It worked for the hovercraft I made static floating (but seen as hovering) on an invisible box in one of the early Stentec sceneries I made.
The basic seaplane I made floated well so maybe with a bit of "trickery" I could get to move.... :wink:

Will have another look at the valk.

Barry

:)
Barry

Postby Barry » Sun 06 May 2007 - 15:45

AJ - copied from the Stentec new development log for sailsim 5 - you have probably read it..but copied below

"Ship Designer - Easily design selecting hull shapes and sailing plans, scaling, tuning and texturing. Max support for creating new types of hulls or sailing plan to be selected by other users. "

So you should be able to put your ship design into practice and sail the finished boat....all being well.

Barry
Barry

Postby Barry » Sun 06 May 2007 - 15:56

AJ - Had a look a the Valk you mentioned as don't think I have used that boat before.
Certainly has the 4 sided sail and the gaff rig function.

Bit basic but certainly the function seems already programmed into sail sim...Up to Stentec though so we will see what happens.

Barry
Barry

Postby ajnasreddin » Sun 06 May 2007 - 18:13

:D

Barry,

Thanks for bring to my attention that there was something to read! I don't usually look under the "news" links because it seldom changes. Maybe they should make it blink in red or something.

Had a look at the development log. Hmmmm, I ought to start looking for that new computer now 'cause it looks like I'm going to do some sailing!

I just need to come up with some excuse for my wife. :?

Did you see the www.3d1.nl site? Looks nice.
ajnasreddin

Return to Sail Simulator - General