New Screenshot page

General question for Sail Simulator (raising sails, pulling sheets, etc.)

New Screenshot page

Postby Barry » Thu 20 Sep 2007 - 14:21

Just trying out Vista on my new computer.
Unable to use the current sailsimulator satisfactorily so only using using motorboat simulator....for c1800

Approaching Conway walled town and castle set in an era of approx 2 centuries ago pretend
Barry

Last edited by Barry on Sun 23 Sep 2007 - 22:50, edited 1 time in total.
Barry

Postby Barry » Tue 25 Sep 2007 - 22:03

So copied a few more new screenshots from my site and as regards using the motorboat simulator to portray early 19th Century sceneries (pretend), please refer to Vista thread, etc.

So from my 8th Lancs to North Wales a more comprehensive view of liverpool Docks based on plans of about 1830 with docks gates, etc.
No idea what the navigation lighting was like in early 19th Century but old New Brighton lighthouse iincluded with light beam (wonder of animation will be possible, to enable the beam to rotate, with the forecast additional obj.file for SS5).
plus red and green lamps at the various dock entrances.

--------------------------

http://www.nwm.org.uk/ellesmere/

From the same scenery and about 7 miles or so up-river on the Mersey is the Ellesmere Port Canal Complex.
Again early 19th Century pretend. The Ellesmere Port canal complex was the main interchange for the the canal barges and horse-drawn narrowboats from the Shropshire Union Canal which joined the many hundreds of miles
of canals in the UK, and the coastal sailing ships supplying goods to the coastal towns. However with the sailing simulator and one water level impossible to make realistic canals or locks, etc but have added the dock gates and sea lock gates etc, as static items.
The winged warehouse no longer exists as burnt down several years ago and some of the site has been developed for a hotel, etc.
Hopefully when the Stentec sailing simulator 5 and the new Scenery Designer is available, which is in production and forecast to be out shortly, better texturing and effects will be able to be created in the sceneries.
Later the Manchester ship canal was made and access from it was into the Ellesmere Port Canal complex. Went on a ferry trip a good few years ago now from Liverpool into Ellesmere Port open dock.

Will look at some of my other sceneries and make some more scsreenshots later, but not so much content on those but enough to make them interesting and based on satellite srtm2 data etc.

Barry
Last edited by Barry on Tue 25 Sep 2007 - 22:56, edited 1 time in total.
Barry

Postby Barry » Tue 25 Sep 2007 - 22:51

Before entering the river Mersey, passed Formby Point there is another small river called the Alt.

I included this in the same scenery but probably about 3 times the actual width due to the pixel size on this scenery.
I made this scenery a few years ago and the other more recent sceneries I kept the size to around 40 to 50 miles which gives a better pixel size and less jagged mountains and rivers, etc.

The interesting feature in this scene is that in the current sailsimulator they are only seen as pictures on a black background sheet but in the motorboat simulator the 32 bit textures allows you to make any parts invisible and so I included horses in the fields, water weed, etc.
The same way I included background tree lines and groups and clusters as trees as one item placed along the rivers in some of the sceneries.
Again this effect I imagine would be in Sail Simulator 5, the next version, hopefully out in a few months.

So if we are able to create better effects with the next version of the sail simulator countless small creeks and rivers could, be included to explore as in real life.

Barry

Barry

Postby Barry » Wed 26 Sep 2007 - 12:27

So can we sail around the world? I imagine with the wide expanse of oceans in real time that could take a while on a computer but perhaps we could sail around and along most of the rivers, estuaries, canals and coastal areas of the world.
Much of the world is covered by satellite data. (nearly all my sceneries on the Stentec web server are made using satellite data).

The next problem is how could that be done on a small computer. Two ways that I know of and the easiest option which is available now (at least to sail around a very small fraction of the world) is to make seperate sceneries of about 40 to 50 miles each to obtain the detail, and overlap each one slightly.

Set the starting point on one scenery at the point where you finish on the one before. The sceneries I made cover most of the west coast of the UK in about 40 to 50 mile sections. The order is listed on my web site page.

The more professional way, dependant on the programming of the simulator would be to automatically load each new scenery as you sail into it providing the programming then ignores or unloads the scenery data of the previous scenery.
So my next scenery follows on from the river Mersey.

If you sail on the river Mersey scenery (8th Lancs to North Wales ) heading out of the river and carry straight on then after about 40 miles load the Isle of Man Scenery we can sail around the Isle of Man. To obtain the exact position perhaps refer to a world atlas, etc. Home of the TT Motorcycle race and a popular holiday area for the the Liverpool people. The steamers used to make regular visits to it, taking about 4 hours, but now its the Seacat which I think covers the distance in half the time.
I forget the exact distance from Liverpool but around 70 miles I think.
So the next screenshot, more for the map with the boat showing the position on it near the Calf of Man.

The adavantage of setting a scenery in an era of about 2 centuries ago is that it was mainly rural and less content required to create it. For now I have to use the motorboat simulator but hopefully will change over to the new Stentec Sail Simulator 5 shortly.

Barry

After returning from the Isle of Man on my sceneries you can then either sail along the coast of the UK up to the islands of Scotland or travel down south towards Cornwall.

Don't think I finished the Cornwall scenery though, but for an era of 1 to 2 centuries ago Wales was the main supplier of slate from it's quarries for house roofs, and is very scenic with the Menai Straits, so maybe next screenshots with be Wales and towards the South...but not just yet. There is also the detailed Conway river and castle scsnery shown in this thread which included the beginning of the Menai Straits.
Barry

Postby Barry » Thu 27 Sep 2007 - 13:38

Following on from returning from the Isle of Man we now head down south and change the scenery to the detailed Conway river scenery when you reach it.
From Conwy we turn left and enter the dangerous currents of the Menai Straits which seperates the island of Anglesey from Wales.
To do this we can load the next scenery in the sequence which covers a lot of area, as includes the the Llewyn Penisula before we head down to Barmouth.

I think the next point to bring up is boat traffic. At present with the current Stentec simulators off-line, we can sail only one boat at a time with one moving boat in the scene, so if trying to make realistic sceneries of an era of 2 centuries or so ago, other moving boats in a scene is essential.

Wales was the main supplier of slate which was carried by sailing ships to many of the ports in the UK.

In the detailed Conway river scenery up river at Trefriw used to be the slate quays.
I made the slate piles and an old crane on the quay with Blender, which I notices in an old picture but I don't think it is included in the download route.

But for this scenery we are heading away from Conway and it is the Barmouth to Conway scenery we need. In real life in North Wales there are several castles. Flint, Rhuddlan, Conway, Beaumaris, Caernarvon, Harlech. So far only made Conway.

So hopefully we can gradually create more realism in these sceneries, suitable for a busy age of sail 2 centuries or so ago, at the same time keeping the computer frame rates reasonble.

Again I am using the motorboat simulator until SS5 available. Conway river is also included in this scenery as well as in the detailed Conway scenery. The sailing map shows starting right. Great Orme and Conway River, Menai Straits with Holyhead etc on the left of Anglesy. Then around the LLeyn Penisula and on to Barmouth. Although the terrain is based on satellite data it does not cover depths so I roughly estimated these with reference to a sea chart occasionally.
Barry

Postby ajnasreddin » Thu 27 Sep 2007 - 14:27

Barry,

Some great pictures there.

About sailing around the world - the technology is certainly out there. Flight Simulator X has the whole world with thousands of airports, etc. Granted, it is not detailed enough "on the ground" but again it isn't designed for that. I had a look at Silent Hunter 4, the submarine game, and there is a big improvement over Silent Hunter 3 of how the land is rendered (essential from a DEM map of the world). Again, everything is in the details.

One of the things that is interesting about a lot of programs is that they have a something like a climate map which generates ramdom vegitation appropriate for different regions. That in itself would make SS5 a bit nicer.
ajnasreddin

Postby Barry » Thu 27 Sep 2007 - 14:39

Hello AJ.
automatic adding of vegetation would be useful but if not, and if Stentec include a user-friendly scenery designer/editor PLUS a small selection of 32 bit vegetation for trees etc we could easily add our own vegetation.

Hopefully we should be easily able to open the scenery and then choose what we want from the vegetation box, drag an drop into place.
At present there is no way to remove it if you make a mistake except by scrolling through a long list of all the items placed , then delete it (if you gave it a name or click on every item in the list if you didn'nt to try and find it).

Doen't quite work like that at present also as trees need the 32 bit textures (not possible in ss4.2), because of frame rates , which seems to be the method used in the train and other simulators.

Also may as well add... for the last scenery I detailed it would need tides for realism and for Liverpool at up to 11 metres.

The Menai Straits in the area of the Swellies has currents up to 8 knots. The Imray chart I am looking at now C52 mentions that the Swellies should only be attempted at slack high water. We can set the current in the Stentec simulators but no idea whether tides will be included this time round.

However a boat designer is being worked on and we will see what else Stentec puts into the box of goodies for Christmas :wink:

Barry
Barry

Postby Barry » Thu 27 Sep 2007 - 15:50

As I had to install the sceneries onto the new computer I had a look to see what I had made, as forgotten what I put on most of them.

So at the same time made a screenshot of any interesting parts which started the screenshots page off on my site.

This in turn seemed relevant to what might be included in the new Sail Simulator 5 so the screenshots are useful in explaining the current scenery making procedure and what would be useful in SS5 for scenery making.
No idea what will be included except what I have read on the Stentec SS5 log page.

So the next scenery to continue the journey 2 centuries ago is Barmouth to Cardigan. Assuming we have stopped off on route for a few noggins of rum at the many inns (all identical), that I included in the sceneries this screen shot is useful to bring up the topic of texturing terrain.
As far as I know at present we can only use one texture and I made a bitmap to try and include, grass and rocks and use the default mateial colours in the sim. for yellow sand on the shore etc. However I think it was mentioned a while ago various textures could be applied to the scenery making, etc in SS5.

My attempt at the 2 mast gaff rig boat is fairly basic. Luckily you can just clone part of the content to make the 2 sets of mast and rigging etc in Blender but masts too thick I think and only guessed the size so maybe the Stentec boat designer will include the option for gaff rigged boats suitable for 2 centuries ago...or maybe not?

I think I have covered most of the scenery design points re SS4.2 & SS5. Will leave it at that until the new scenery designer appears.

The remainder of the sceneries are on the Stentec web server and the order is listed on my web site home page.

Barry
Barry

Postby Barry » Sun 07 Oct 2007 - 13:25

I have removed my website for now but you will find the sceneries on the Stentec... www.sailsimulator.com
page to download with route images.
Downloads/Sceneries/Usermade
So this thread no longer contains images.

When I find out what the position is with SS5 and Vista and if enough to interest to me I will consider remaking my site.

As things are now you need the file detailed n other threads for sailsimulator to work with Vista.

Scenery Designer won't load at all and sailsimulator is slow and locks up on my computer when changing settings.

Regarding the Blender tutorials with Blender version 2.43,2.44,2.45 the vrml2 file does not seem to carry the texture. This applies to the script file but Blender works OK.

However as sailsimualtor 4.2 requires vrml2 files, obviously there was no alternative except to remove my website and tutorials for now otherwise it could be misleading for anybody using it, especially newcomers.

I may remake the tutorials and my site, when I see what SS5 has in it, and "if" suitable for my interests and also as regards the alternative file types for Blender, etc, such as obj. etc.

Barry
Barry

Postby ajnasreddin » Mon 08 Oct 2007 - 13:17

Keep us up to date Barry on the quest for a working open source 3d designer.

One of the worries is that a lot of programs for Vista are using .dds files for textures - for me this isn't such a big problem because I have a plug in for my Photoshop - but it doesn't seem part of many open source graphic editors. I've also come across PNG files recently - most notably in an open source universe simulator Celestia:

http://www.shatters.net/celestia/

This is an open source free downloadable program that runs on OpenGL. Check it out if you can (not exactly sailing but still pretty cool).

Anyway, looks like this Vista thing is going to be a pain in the back end. Looks like I'll need to get the newest versions of all the software I need. You know, I'm beginning to think this is a conspiracy - just when things are working more than less, they change everything so you have spend money to get things working again.
ajnasreddin

Postby Barry » Mon 08 Oct 2007 - 15:52

Hello AJ
I think the probem with Vista is the drivers, or lack of.
Only have a cheap printer but even with the vista drivers don't seem to be able to print from a web page and I copy anything I need into wordpad. Maybe I forgot to alter a setting.
Gave up on the scanner. Installed the vista drivers but not running right. Luckily don't really need it. Must try the camera but that should work with plug and play.

The only open source for free 3D design programs I know of are Blender and anim8tor.
http://www.anim8or.com/

Don't know if anim8tor runs OK with Vista.
Just had a look at not sure what it exports. It mentions just 3DS?

Blender works OK it is just the script file to vrml2 not exporting textures for some reason from version 2.43. I need to try obj. files with it but can't do anything until we get a new scenery designer.

Stentec mentions OBJ files and sketch up skp. think as well as vrml2 for SS5.
Although again you would probably need to buy the full version of sketchup.
Bit of a problem at present.

No idea about DDS textures. I have been using irfanview to change texture types but no DDS.

Downloaded the free version of 3D Canvas and may buy it to make content for the kuju rail sim and will have a plug in and exports to most file types.
http://www.amabilis.com/

The full version is around £40 UK, or so I think but not sure about VAT for Europe.

Bit out of ideas at present but Stentec needs to give us some input.

Barry
Barry

Return to Sail Simulator - General