Looking at sailing sims - list of features, etc

General question for Sail Simulator (raising sails, pulling sheets, etc.)

Looking at sailing sims - list of features, etc

Postby thestrontiumdog » Sat 03 Jan 2004 - 08:40

I am looking to buy a sailing sim, and after looking through the stentec sitee and reviewing the facts, I have some questions regarding game features and user impressions.

Specificially, does Stentec's sail simulator allow for racing vs computer AI opponents? How about boat performance? Is it possible to plane, or capsize? How are collisions handled, and is there any damage modelling? Although this may sound like I am looking for a good demolition derby sim, I (probably like many of the experienced mariners among you) have lots of "right of way" stories to tell, along with empty wallets from blown spinns, broken shackles, and frayed ropes, and I want to relive some of those great moments.

While I am certainly impressed by the graphics and other features of Sail Sim, I am wondering how it stacks up (even in the biased view of the loyal fans of this board) with other products, notably Hangsim's Virtual Sailor, Digital Jesters Virtual Skipper, and 21st Cen Sailing Sim. I have in the past played Posey Sail's Advanced Racing Simulator (way back in the early '90s), but I notice that while the product is still available, its graphics are somewhat outdated. I really don't want a pure "cruising" sim - I am a small boat sailor at heart, and would like to use the sim for learning new technology, single-player racing, and just having fun. So far, this one LOOKS like the best one, but it is hard to tell.

Thanks in advance for any candid observations you may be able to provide.

Best regards,

Byron Grant
The Strontium Dog
thestrontiumdog

Re: Looking at sailing sims - list of features, etc

Postby Remco Moedt » Sun 04 Jan 2004 - 19:51

thestrontiumdog wrote:I am looking to buy a sailing sim, and after looking through the stentec sitee and reviewing the facts, I have some questions regarding game features and user impressions.

Specificially, does Stentec's sail simulator allow for racing vs computer AI opponents? How about boat performance? Is it possible to plane, or capsize? How are collisions handled, and is there any damage modelling? Although this may sound like I am looking for a good demolition derby sim, I (probably like many of the experienced mariners among you) have lots of "right of way" stories to tell, along with empty wallets from blown spinns, broken shackles, and frayed ropes, and I want to relive some of those great moments.

While I am certainly impressed by the graphics and other features of Sail Sim, I am wondering how it stacks up (even in the biased view of the loyal fans of this board) with other products, notably Hangsim's Virtual Sailor, Digital Jesters Virtual Skipper, and 21st Cen Sailing Sim. I have in the past played Posey Sail's Advanced Racing Simulator (way back in the early '90s), but I notice that while the product is still available, its graphics are somewhat outdated. I really don't want a pure "cruising" sim - I am a small boat sailor at heart, and would like to use the sim for learning new technology, single-player racing, and just having fun. So far, this one LOOKS like the best one, but it is hard to tell.

Thanks in advance for any candid observations you may be able to provide.

Best regards,

Byron Grant
The Strontium Dog

SS4 doesn't support AI opponents, "just" online racing. The collision model is basic rigid model physics, and there is no damage. You can capsize, but the boat will reset after a few seconds.

The good points about SS4 is the hydrodynamics and the way the sails behave, both qua performance and graphically. Compared to Virtual Skipper, if you want offline races VS is the way to go. But SS4 is more like "being there". Virtual Sailer is also great, but is far more artifical.

On a side note, I tried the demo of Virtual Skipper 3, and the graphics are
very nice. But the performance on my PC, an AMD 2200 with a GeForce 3 isn't good enough.

Cheers!

Remco
Remco Moedt

Return to Sail Simulator - General