Route Making.3D Model making: "Blender". Questions

Help each other create new and amazing sailing areas.

Route Making.3D Model making: "Blender". Questions

Postby Barry » Thu 06 May 2004 - 22:32

As this section of the forums seems to have fizzled out a bit it may be worthwhile trying to get it going again.

So perhaps those who may be making routes could update their news.
Are their any new routes to download that you have made?
What difficulties are you finding?
What methods are you using to make the routes?
Are the routes freestyle or based on dem data?
How are you using the data to make the routes?
Must add just suggestions for discussion to try and get this section of the forum restarted.

Again Blender is free and any type of 3D model or boat (floating or static) at present can be made with it and put into your routes. Refer to my site for details. More functions are mentioned for 1.2 version of the m/b sim in conjuction the Scenery Designer Toolkit.

So have you tried "Blender" yet or do you intend to try and use it for making models and boats as its's free.
If you are using it, and if so what are the main problems you are finding?
What completed 3D models have you made or are you working on any now?
Incidentally you can make 3D models to any size as I have made mountains, pyramids, and a small town on a base of 130 houses or so.
3D models and parts of models can easily be made to move in Blender so I am just waiting now to see if any animation functions will be possible in 1.2. motorboat simulator, when it becomes available.

The news for Blender is that it has now got it's own game engine back. You can make models and boats, to whatever level of detail you require, for the Stentec Sail and Motorboat simulator. You can download and run small games made by others in Blender, and also now you can create your own small games (as far as I know) and run them in Blender.

The latest download is still small at just over 3 megs and there are various tutorial links on the Blender site.
Refer to my site for details of 3D models, static and floating boats, and I think 13 routes to date, including varieties of the same route. There is a Blender tutorial, links to the Blender site, etc.

Texino is kindly hosting the downloadable 3D models and mini routes with a variety of different 3D models and boats included, and there is a link to his site on my site.

Barry

:)

Details of routes copied from my site, all have a variety of 3D models and boats static or floating.

48. A scenery route - (Based on Ellesmere Port Canal Complex). Miniroute.zip. Route Name... littleellesmere.

49. Expanded - (Based on Ellesmere Port Canal Complex). littleellesmere2.zip. Route name... littleellesmere2.

50. New edition - (Based on Ellesmere Port Canal Complex). littleellesmere3.zip. Route name... littleellesmere3.

51. Fantasy Route - (With a surprise at the finish). fantasy1.zip. Route name... fantasy1.

52. Island Route - ("Lagoon" surrounded by mountains). islands1.zip. Route name... islands1. (coralislands1a)

53 Island Route #2 - (As Island Route but a variation). islands2.zip. Route name... islands2.

55. New bw01 route - (Chanels between "mountains"). bw01route.zip. Route name... bw01route.

56 Trawler Route - (Fishing Boats leaving harbor for the fishing grounds). bw02trawlers.zip. Route name... bw02trawlers.

57 Fishing Boats (Fishing and "smuggling" rum, caves to explore). bw03fishingboats.zip. Route name...bw03fishingboats. Explore behind the mountains and in the caves to find the "rum".

Egypt and the Nile (Just egyptian type sail boats and the pyramids). bwegypt1.zip. Route name...bwegypt1

Egypt2 - New 3D models added - added, small town as one 3D model - Floating boats with boatman at tiller - static trawler with see-through windows and captain at tiller.

Egypt 3 rev- Another variation to enable some variation in the 3D models to be tried. The large small town model of 130 varied houses, is broken down into 3 modules, The range of felucca boats has been expanded with 2 varied larger versions, and a static larger version.

Revised Egypt 3. Includes items bwnw 01 to 04. (10mm quay with attached bollards, houses and coast road with sea wall as one object plus collision spheres, house with walls and paths on a base, collision spheres added to the first coast road and sea wall). Starting point is different, breakwater and lighthouse, housing strips re-arranged, etc. Also at the start you could place an additional row of houses with road, extending to the end of the rows, as the boat may leap into the air if it hits the ledge at "the end of the world" i.e edge of the dem map which ends vertically.
Barry

scenery clumps

Postby wdorsife » Fri 20 Aug 2004 - 16:23

Your scenery looks great. Thanks for all the hard work and sharing the files. How do you make clumps of scenery like groups of trees and shrubs from individual objects that can then be added to routes.
wdorsife

Re: scenery clumps

Postby Barry » Sun 22 Aug 2004 - 14:08

wdorsife wrote:Your scenery looks great. Thanks for all the hard work and sharing the files. How do you make clumps of scenery like groups of trees and shrubs from individual objects that can then be added to routes.

Hi that was a surprise as it's been a few months since anyone posted on the Scenery Designer Forum.

You can make trees in Blender.
You use a similar function as for making the see through windows on the boats and the invisible base I made on the hovercraft.
It is just a flat sheet made to the size of a tree say 10 metres by 20 metres. In a paint program remove the background of the tree image and make it black. In Blender you click one of the buttons and the background is invisible with the picture of the tree standing out. Make 4 copies of the flat sheet and interlace them like interlocking your fingers.
The is an example at te end of the Blender tutorial

http://www.barrywright.clara.net/3ditems.html

You can use any images so by multiplying them up as one object as I did with the houses, you could make groups of trees or forests, etc
However this at present only works in Blender not the Object Editor or the simulator.

This function is supposed to work in the new version 1.2 of m/b sim due out the end of August I think. It was mentioned it had been tested. However it doesn't appear in the Scenery Designer I think was mntioned but will appear in the game.

Again Stentec use I think 3dsmax which needs a 32 bit file. and I don't know if this system will work with Blender. 32 bit is 2 file images together tga of 24 bit and an 8 bit. You can make them in a some paint programs or use tga2 program which you can download.

Just a case of waiting now to see what the 1.2 version brings and when I get it will experiment to see if I can get the trees etc to work. You can make rigging for ships, backdrops for cities, landscapes, mountain views and many other things the same way.

You will need the full version of the Scenery Designer Toolkit to add items to routes, not the demo version.

Thanks

Barry
:)
Barry

Postby ED50 » Sat 04 Sep 2004 - 17:21

Hi Barry,
I have made new routes based on nautic maps. I used a scanner to create a BMP file which can be used as background when you are drawing the lines of the same deep.
Difficult was to find out how the setting in the DEM-Program has to be made to have the correct nautic settings (longitute/latitute).

Bases on your recommendation I am also using Blender.
Problems I have are:
- When I use a BMP-file for a surface the pattern is used only ones for the complete surface. Is is possible have the pattern duplicated several times on the surface, e.g. for bricks?
- I also have made buoys, but I can not display the name of the buoys in SailSim like the original buoys from Stentec does.
- I was not able to activate the collision for selfmade objects

Best Regards
ED50
ED50

Postby Barry » Sat 04 Sep 2004 - 18:45

ED50

Hi

Regarding the latitude ad longitude question can't really help with that one. I have only used a background map with contours and traced around the contours. Alex Lindeijer has a tutorial on his site for making routes (his link to his site is a few links above mine I think on Stentec site). Perhaps he may be able to help and will see your post.

Regarding Blender after you load the UV image use scale (S) and highlight the dotted frame(or each) corner and pull it away from the image onto the black part. The uv bitmap then appears small on a black background. Use the plus + or - after right clicking on UV bitmap to make is small/large. I made the quays etc this way, etc. Or just pull each corner.
Also if you right click the object you are making and press U you get various options. Not quite sure how to use it and I just use the first method.

Not sure whether you mean the actual name on a buoy This you can put on the bitmap and texture the buoy. If a name in the editor you just name each item if you wish when placing in a route. Click twice on text and give it a name in the list of items in your route. However you may mean something else and I know very little about the different types of buoys.

Regarding the collision spheres these are placed with the Object Editor. There is/was a fault (bug) in the software but it is fairly easy to use the following method. Perhaps it has now been fixed but have no futher info whether it has been.

After placing the collision spheres in the Object Editor. You make a big globe (main sphere) that goes around all the others. You then open the file with notepad or wordpad or a word editor and copy the measurement of the big sphere. Go back to object editor and delete sphere. Open again with wordpad, etc and delete an then paste the new details into it on the main sphere line...CollisionSphere

I made a post about it and will find further details -

There is a thread Placing Collision Speres not working.....
I usually check the m/b forum for posts so any more problems just post on Scenery Designer forum and will find you post and will try and help.
It's very easy to make the collision spheres work as its just one line of text you copy and paste. Don't forget to save after replacing the line of text. Don't leave a part of a bracket when copying and pasting as I think I found it crashes the game...just post again if further details required and will try and help.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Jeroen posted the details on it and have copied them below
------------------------------------------------------

The tip Alex made should also work.

When you open a S3D file in the object editor you should look for something that looks like this, it should be in the top part of the file:
Code:

CollisionSphere = (
0s
0s
1.4s
3.6s)
CollisionSpheres.Items = (
(
(
0s
0s
-1.25s)
1.25s)
(
(
0s
0s
0s)
1.25s)
(
(
0s
0s
1.25s)
1.25s))

These are the collision spheres. The collision spheres are divided into two parts. First you've got the main collision sphere (CollisionSphere) after that there's a list with sub spheres (CollisionSpheres.Items) in this list are the collission sphere you've created with the object editor. A collision sphere consists of 4 components (X, Y, Z and the radius):
Code:

CollisionSphere = (
0s -> x position
0s -> y position
1.4s -> z position
3.6s -> radius)

The purpose of the main collision sphere is to define a container for all collision spheres. In Sail Simulator (and Motorboat Simulator) the collision detection algorithm first looks for a main sphere and when two main spheres collide the algorithm then checks the subspheres if there is a real collision. This is done the prevent the simulation from checking all subspheres every simulation step.

The problem with the Object Editor that we've tried to let the editor calculated the main sphere by itself but that algorithm fails to calculate a coorect sphere (we have fixed this in the new version). A temporary sollution for this problem is to calculate the main sphere yourself and entering these values by hand using a text editor. The main sphere must be large enough so it can contain all it's subspheres. A good method for determining the main sphere is to add a temporary subsphere in the object editor and setting the values of this sphere so that is contains all other subspheres, remember these values, throw away the subsphere and entering the rememberd values by hand.

It's not the easiest method but it works.

When thing cool down here (beginning of january) I'll finish the new editor and you can have a copy of that.

Hope this helps, when there still are question please feel free to ask .

Jeroen
Barry

Postby ED50 » Sun 05 Sep 2004 - 18:12

Hi Barry,
thank you for the very fast reply.

The nautic setting problems I have solved allready by try and error. So at this moment I don't have any open questions but it was difficult and took a while to test everything.

The problem with the names of the buoys is the following: When you add an original Stentec buoy in the Scenery-Program you can assign a specific name to that individual bouy on its specific position which normally reflects the name of the buoys in the nautic chart (e.g. "B1", "B3", ...). When you passing that bouy in SailSim you can read "B1" on that buoy which allows you to check your position - it is a very nice feature.
I can not activate that feature with selfmade buoys. When I write the name in Blender than all bouys of the same type get the same name which does not help.

Your workaround for collision I will check next time.

Bye
ED50

Postby Barry » Sun 05 Sep 2004 - 18:50

ED50

I see what you mean about the buoys.
I don't know if it can be done with ones own made buoys.
May be inbuilt part of the programming for the Stentec buoys only?

Barry
Barry

Return to Scenery Designer Toolkit