What Modelling Software do you use?

Help each other create new and amazing sailing areas.

Postby Guest » Sun 02 Nov 2003 - 00:05

Alex

With some paint programs you can make an alpha channel but I tried using the free TGA2 to make an 8 bit alpha channel. At least that what I tried with gmax for Trainz.

Rigging could then be made as a see through texture with the rigging opaque. Mind you never actually got that far as only found it out recently.
Don't know what works with Blender.

Just been trying to some rope (double plane) on with the spars at an angle to make the sail bent as if catching the wind. OK the one I made in gmax. Getting lost anyway now. Top of deck texture shimmering also.

Can email the "latest" version as buoy plus Blender file and bitmap if you want to have a dabble although imagine your version would be much better than mine. Boat still at an angle, but at least stable, set buoy to 180,000 kilos and centre of gravity top line at 0,0,0.25.

Barry

Postby Barry » Sun 02 Nov 2003 - 01:57

Alex

Was going to edit the other post but had not logged in to edit, so another post.

Blender just came up with
"unbound local error local variable "c" referenced before assignment.

No idea what that means but wrl file made but doesn't open.

-------------------
Also followed by import site failed use variable c.
usually opens with that each time but then just go on to open OK. so don't think that bit matters too much.

Got up to this point last time with a similar error and started from scratch but saved the previous version this time so go back to watching the boats floating up and down in sailsim.

Barry
Barry

Postby Aal » Sun 02 Nov 2003 - 14:50

Hi Barry
I think you should make your point of gravity lower. On my little trawler I use the follow with good result
Mass 20000kg
x:1meter
y:0
z -2 meter
/Alex
Aal

Postby Barry » Sun 02 Nov 2003 - 16:49

Alex.

Will try the figures you mentioned.
Z seems to be the crucial one with a small alteration making a big difference.
Sent email and attached file yesterday but not sure if file would open as don't use winzip. Also Just sent another email just to mention perhaps problem was the renaming c,d, without me saving or similar.

Anyway restarted from save c and added a bit more and seems OK again so far with script OK.

Thanks

Barry
Barry

Postby Barry » Mon 03 Nov 2003 - 20:30

Continuing the sailing barge story.
Put on one main jib and more rigging with the the main jib sail filled to look as if catching the wind.

Basically just an experiment to see if larger boats would float realistically as any variety of square riggers or whatever could be made. Only tried it in the sail sim as waiting on retail version to order motorboat sim in UK.

A problem came up yesterday when resetting the buoy parameters as after umpteen changes, whatever setting I put in, made the boat either bounce in air or sink and rise to surface. These were the similar settings I had a used previous before I added the head sail and a bit more rigging.

Anyway today was going to reistall the sailsim as thought that perhaps the continual buoy alterations I had made might have garbled the program. First however I tried again with a fresh route of the Mototboat Instruction area and they seemed to float OK this time. So will leave it at that for now as don't want to spend too many hours on the buoy settings which seemed to stop working as mentioned after several alterations to them.

Perhaps Stentec could make an alternative for the buoy settings to allow larger boats to be included of various types as static floating buoy format. I seem to remember that the program calculated every face of the buoy or was it every face of all the buoys to create the movement in relation to the waves.Max recommended was I think about 500 faces although more can be used but may slow the game.

Up to about 1207 faces in object editor(667 in Blender) if I read them right, probably square riggers etc would be up to about 1500 depending on detail, so perhaps the game can't accomodate the larger figures at present (as buoy format).
If they could be made to move by AI eventually, even if not sailable by direct control, then that would be "interesting".

Barry

5 Nov Updated... Will leave further screenshots, posts for now.
Barry

Postby Barry » Thu 06 Nov 2003 - 20:26

Carried on and made a full sail version of the sailing barge.
However the textures on the side of the sails not seen, due to lighting look like different shaded metallic panels.

Setting the buoy parameters seems to be pain for larger boats and seem to respond erratically at times.
Had settings from between zero to half a million for weight with little effect, plus a few "crashes" of the sim, and several hours of time, juggling with the various settings. Bounces out of water a bit.

I don't know if larger ships, square rig sailing ships or larger steamers and motor vessels will be suported in the sims as regards floating buoy format or AI.
For realism sailing vessels as floating boats could be in the motorboat sim and motor vessels in the sail sim. Perhaps under Artificial Intelligence if not directly sailable.

Have put on an updated screenshot of the full sail version and have the boat moored at quay with the one headsail version. Any variety of different sail combinations could be made.

If you are not interested in on line racing like myself and with one boat to sail around empty landscapes I feel that a variety of floating and AI boats may be the alternative with coastal and dock sceneries fot those interested in this aspect.

A wide variety of models could be made for dockside and coastal such as houses, people, warehouses, locks, dock and lock gates, windlasses, etc. Providing the models arn't to elaborate or densely placed they should not impact too much on frame rates. I am still using the low end TNT2 card several years old until I get a new computer maybe next year.

Barry
Barry

Postby Barry » Tue 11 Nov 2003 - 03:51

Don't know if it will be easier to place floating large boats. square riggers etc in buoy format in the motorboat sim but gave up on the full sail versions as either floated too high or kept on sinking. This was using the sailsim. Quite spectacular watching it though.

Is anyone else making large boats in buoy format other than racing boats?

Barry
Barry

Postby Barry » Sat 15 Nov 2003 - 20:10

As mentioned using sailsim but eventually will change to motororboat sim
My interests are the pre-car era. The larger static boats seem to float in the sail sim after much juggling with the buoy setttings but don't know what happens in the motorboat sim with them.

Hopefully we will see more animated boats eventually other than in multiplayer mode. At least moving if not drivable.

Anyway so far have the sailing barge made, barge warehouse, windlass and old dock qayside. This is about 10 metre length, just a box and about 10 metre length but left in about 10 metre deep just in case could be used for dry docks, somehow. May make 50, 100, 500 lengths and curved inside dock corners to match.

Did make extensive docks with the Trainz sim of my own area up to about 7 miles and coastline but fixed track for the canal and sailing barges but am trying the same thing with this sim. Don't know if it can be done with this but see how it goes.

Barry
Last edited by Barry on Sun 16 Nov 2003 - 20:22, edited 1 time in total.
Barry

Postby Aal » Sat 15 Nov 2003 - 23:18

Nice!!
Aal

Postby Barry » Mon 17 Nov 2003 - 20:38

Made a small selection of items now and can try emailing them if anyone interested. See web page for details and updated screenshots 17 Nov 6pm. (www link at bottom of post).
Just models that may suit the type of routes I may try and make, but if anyone thinks they may be able to use them all the better.

Main problem for creating realistic routes with "atmosphere" seemed to me to be the difficulty in creating a realistic shoreline for docks and ports, etc.

Anyway together with the selection of quay lengths and corner sction, 10m to 400m made a 100 metres box section of cobblestone texture and by rotating the quays realistic looking old roads could be made for extensive docks or to run along the coast.

Anyone using "Blender" could probably easily make a variety of old or modern road textures or any other type of texture as required, stone, gravel, sand, shingle, etc.

Barry
Barry

Postby Barry » Wed 19 Nov 2003 - 03:15

Items now include, dock gates about 16 to 18 metres I think the pair, up to 400 metre cobblestone sections, various old quays up to 400 metres, static sailing barge, windlass, etc.

Trying to get back to where I was up to, as had already made all the items detailed with gmax for another sim.

By using the quays up to 400 metre length looks as if I will also now be able to make canals. Also need to make some canal bank section with towpath, canal side models and static narrowboat. Hope an easier method of adding collision boxes becomes available.

Anyway see my wepage for details and screenshots and may be be able to email anything should anyone be interested as mentioned previous.

Animation was mentioned I think for version 2 of the Scenery Designer Toolkit. So that could be something else to consider.

Anyone else making models or routes, except for the few regulars posting here? It all seems very quiet.

Barry
Barry

Postby Barry » Tue 25 Nov 2003 - 00:01

I think the answer to building the docks and canals is to place the objects on the sea surface and fill in with texture sheets. These could be up to about 2 miles which is about the maximum I tried.

The Dem data, grey scale is fine for creating an approximate area but docks and canals needs finer details, with lines, pixels at 10 metres or so for canals,which makes a v shape. I think would be too difficult to create by this method unless you could work directly on the terrain to sculpt it etc.

Anyway updated screen shots for the sailsim, and models are canal banks with path and grass verge textures with a matching texture grass sheet 400 metresx50x2. Details on webpage for these and dockside models, etc.

As mentioned none of the models have collision boxes. Had a few tries and have added the collision globes but boats still sail straight throught them so for the present given up on that.

Barry
Barry

Postby Aal » Tue 25 Nov 2003 - 01:15

looking good! But go to bed now :wink:
/Alex
Aal

Postby Barry » Tue 25 Nov 2003 - 01:43

Aal wrote:looking good! But go to bed now :wink:
/Alex

Not a bad idea, looking at all that water. Feel as if I have been on an ocean cruise.

Just amusing myself as made all the same models before with gmax and using some of the same textures.

Doesn't seem to be getting any fresh recruits to post on forum though?

Barry
Barry

Postby Barry » Tue 25 Nov 2003 - 23:57

At last things are happening. A gang of of men turned up to work on the boats today and that should help a bit

To me they look as if someone made them with "Blender" and didn't want to show their hands as they are all standing around with hands in pockets.:roll:

Barry
Barry

Previous

Return to Scenery Designer Toolkit