Chartiff DEM files

Help each other create new and amazing sailing areas.

Chartiff DEM files

Postby sailorgtd » Mon 21 Mar 2005 - 19:16

I'm brand new to the Sail Simulator world and am trying find out if sailing areas are available in addition to those within the software and posted in the sail sim site. Chartiff sells DEM charts. Are those usable as scenes or do they have to be worked/modified in Scenery Builder ( really shows my ignorance) ? I understand that I would need to add any objects/ buoys etc to customize the DEM charts but was hoping that the scene itself would be usable as is. . Appreciate any response.
Thanks
sailorgtd

Postby altug » Mon 21 Mar 2005 - 20:59

Wellcome Sailorgtd!

If you get a DEM chart you should work on it within the Scenery Builder before it becomes a sailable scenery. Once you create a scenery out of the DEM you got from Chartiff you can inesrt objects and buoys also with the help of Scenery Builder. You can read about building sceneries in Alex's and Barry's sites.

If you are interested to multiplayer I suggest you to join the multiplayer Join the group by sending an empty email to:
ssmbs-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
from your e-mail account that you want to communicate with this group.

Once you are a member, whenever you want to multiplay on a specific date at a specific time (GMT) either by joining a running server or by starting your own at 'Session Server', YOU CAN REACH TO CALL ALL MEMBER MULTIPLAYERS BY SENDING AN E-MAIL to the group:
ssmbs@yahoogroups.com
altug

Postby sailorgtd » Mon 21 Mar 2005 - 21:21

Thanks for the input!
I wasn't specific enough with my question. What I was wondering was if the elevations, colors and other data will automatically load from inported DEMs ( Chartiff ) in Scenery or do we have to open the DEM and create the elevations, color and other data in Scenery ourselves?
sailorgtd

Postby Barry » Sun 03 Apr 2005 - 18:28

George

Not sure if any use but you can import ready made terrain colours from any other route and use in your own route. Not really well up on dem creation I just trace along the contours from an imported map with contours, in Scenery Designer dem map, convert to greyscale, create map then stick on some colours for the terrain.
Most of my maps are just free style at present but there are about 12 or so of them to download and 2 still on my hardrive at present.

You can then go back to the grey scale to adjust etc, but pretty basic at present until perhaps the next version of Scenery Designer comes along?

Barry
Barry

using USCG dems

Postby sailorgtd » Sun 03 Apr 2005 - 19:18

Barry,
I've learned how to use the USGC dems whcih are available on several websites ( I'm using Chartiff). They cost $1.00 ea. It's really easy using VT builder. The dem builds automaticaly and all the heights are imported from the downloaded DEM. You can modify as you want. The Chartiff dems are for relatively small areas but VT builder allows you to merge them easily. Neat functionality.
George
sailorgtd

Postby Barry » Sun 03 Apr 2005 - 19:30

George - that sounds interesting -

Think I will wait until Stentec brings the next version of the route editor out as would like to develop the terain with vegetation and coastal roads, etc.
Areas need to be flattened etc for placing roads and coastal buildings and just too difficult at present using the scenery designer, apart from the "bugs" mentioned in my previous posts.

Would be nice a full coastal area with vegetation, coastal, roads, villages, docks and ports, all in place.

However at the moment it appears to be more for learning to sail, navigation and online racing/cruising. I posted re your enquiry for quay50 on the other thread.

Barry
:)
Barry

Postby Barry » Tue 05 Apr 2005 - 18:14

George

Just had a look at the Chartiff site, and I think a long time ago now I looked at the USGC dems and couldn't understand it at the time.

My main area of interest is the UK North West and I don't think there is anything available for my area. Would be nice to put a ready made grey scale map in the scenery builder and get an exact detailed map of the area created.

However I also like the coastal buildings, ports, docks, and vegetation, etc and without some improvements to the Scenery Designer Toolkit can't see me progressing much more at present, also until the alpha function works for vegetation, etc. I will probably just keep tracing contours. Did make a largish route of NW coast a while ago but so big I got lost when trying to place objects, and unless the ground is flat you ned to use flat sheets to place objects on. Ended up deleting it and used a small section for the Ellesmere Port tutorial route.

Will you make your route available eventually for download?

Barry

P.S. Have put the tutorials back on my site.
Barry

Return to Scenery Designer Toolkit