changing object & buoys sizes

Help each other create new and amazing sailing areas.

changing object & buoys sizes

Postby sailorgtd » Tue 22 Mar 2005 - 23:11

I can't find any instructions on how to change the size of either objects or buoys in Scenery. How do you adjust the size relative to the scene ?
sailorgtd

Postby Barry » Sat 02 Apr 2005 - 22:32

sailorgtd

You need to use the Object Editor to change the size of objects.
Also you would need the full scenery designer toolkit to put them back in the route.

I don't have it installed at present but you just alter height, or width or length.xyz, changing 1 to 2 doubles it, etc. you save it with a new name.

Trouble is if it has collision spheres you may need to apply the "fix" to make it work and if floating yo umay have to reset the floating details.
If you have a look at the Object Editor you will see what can be altered.
Just open the s3d or buoy file with it.

Barry
Barry

Postby Barry » Sat 02 Apr 2005 - 23:26

I found the Object Editor.
If as mentioned you open the s3d of buoy file with it.
I think you may need to open the object editor first then, file ,scroll to where the s3d or buoy file is and open. It may crash occasionally if you open the file direct. Not sure.

Then top row Object/Scale frame.
There are 3 boxes giving width, height and length.
these have I in.

To make an object say another half as large put in 1.5 in each box and save with a new name. Object also needs it bitmap to go with it or shows white. I made a giant in on of my routes. open a person file and put say 5 in each box and you have a person say 30 feet tall instead of 6 feet.

As mentioned you may need to redo collision spheres and/or floating properties.

Barry

:)
Barry

can't save collison spheres

Postby sailorgtd » Sun 03 Apr 2005 - 16:55

I'm trying to set/activate collison spheres on the object quay50. My boat sails through it in simulation. I went into object editor and opened quay50. I then clicked on edit collison spheres. and the object had a lot of collison spheres showing in red. Looks like they're already there. I tried to save the object and then replace it in the scenery and the boat still sails through it. I then went back into the object edit software and clicked on every " visible" button to the right of each sphere line thinking that might have to be activated to have the collison spheres work. I used the save button and the boat still sailed through the object in simulation. Does anyone know how to activate the collsion spheres in an object? The help directions aren't very detailed.
Thanks
George
sailorgtd

Postby Barry » Sun 03 Apr 2005 - 17:54

Hi George.

Quay 50 is mine and I used in in several of the routes and works OK and is in Ellesmere 4. The last of the Ellesmere series.

Unfortunately Stentec has not fixed the glitch with the collision spheres and once you place them on an object they still won't work until you repair the error.
This is easily done by making a giant sphere that goes around all the spheres placed. You then open the file with wordpad, copy the line of the giant sphere. Delete the giant sphere then past the line you copied back into wordpad. There are a few posts about in and I have explained the fix on forum or can give more details.

However I have made the spheres so that they all work OK on all my items, and have used the fix on them all. The quay has the collision spheres just placed around 3 sides and you place this in the route so it coincides with the side of default boats which will have collision spheres on them.
Perhaps you placed it too high in the water and the boat sails under the collision spheres. You can always place more etc, and you can import collision spheres from another similar item. Every time you save a file or put on spheres you then need to fix the "bug".

If you saved it this will have probably put the original "bug" error back on.

You install the file into the scenery designer. from the object editor, edit/export to scenery builder, or you can copy and paste it together with its bitmap. If you go to my site, click the www link and then the link to Texinos site you can download a fresh file of quay 50. This has the fix so you just export to scenery builder. You may need to delete your saved file first from the scenery designer, but it should just overwrite it, also delete it from your route and replace with a fresh one.
Alternatively if you have any of my routes go to the the route folder which is usually in Program Files/Common Files/Stentec Shared/Sceneries/Objects/ or buoys for floating boats etc.
It also needs it's bitmap which is dockwalls.bmp
Just install it into the scenery designer direct from the route folder.

In the object Editor. File then dependencies tells you which bitmap, texture map each file uses.
Can always email the file if required also.
Again if you resize it you would need fresh collision spheres placing, then fix the bug, then export to scenery builder

Just post again if problems, as it all sounds complicated, but once you do it once its just the same for each item.

Barry

:)
Barry

Return to Scenery Designer Toolkit