Map making Queries - "Blender" queries, etc.

Help each other create new and amazing sailing areas.

Postby Barry » Sat 09 Sep 2006 - 23:20

Hi Bill, that's great news.
Just a few points did you convert the map at the beginning in 3dem to UTM Projection from UTM ellipsoid. before saving as USGS ASCII DEM.

Operation - Change Projection - Convert to UTM Projection.

I know I have forgotten a few times and made the full scenery and when I compared the Scenery to the Ordnance Survey Map it was way out, and had to redo it from the bginning but but was OK once I remade it.

You can also work over a background bitmap to trace contours or lay buoys. Not sure how you would get it the same size. You can save the 3dem map as I mentioned as bitmap which is the exact same size, painting on rivers or buoys first, then load it as a background. It will show over the pink part.

Anther thing I forgot to mention is the measurement system in 3dem. Didn't realise myself at first how it works. You pull the corner of the square with the notch in it. Click on screen to get the black square with notch showing - Show Scale - Meters - and pull corner. The size then shows at bottom of the panel.
Useful guide when cropping etc.

Not sure of the explanation for the the white colour you mention.
Is this the actual map when sailing that it generates. Just had a look at one of my smaller sceries and it is white for shallows and going to deeper blue for depths. I seem to remember it happened on on of mine. maybe not coverting to UTM Projection?
or maybe it has something to do with the amount of depth, size, of map or whatever. I don't suppose it matters too much as long as the water measures the depthS you set.

You can also click the water on and off in the scenery designer so useful to be able to see the water courses without water for mid channel etc, when placing buoys for mid river, shallows or whatever, etc. Mine are fish barrels I made for c1800. Got them to float OK though.

Look forward to seeing your work online.
Also perhaps check if the type of account you get will allow downloads of the route, etc. It didn't work on one type of account I had but yoU can download from my site now when I changed the type of account with ISP.

I just keep the latest scenery on it until Stentec puts it on their site.
I think they have about 10 of mine on, and Stefan said he would put the latest one on, it's on my site at present.

So when you refine the route/s and add a bit of content, buoys and whatever perhaps ask Stentec will they put it on their server and it clears a bit of space for you then to make the next one, etc.
My space is 50 megs and my routes are up to about 20 meg.

Also Blender is not complicated and you can always make your own rocks, or whatever any shape you want. Again all free and open source with regular updates.

Pleased to help with any problems, that is if I know the answer myself:wink:

Barry

Happy Sailing!
Barry

rte: Useful info

Postby BillC21 » Sun 10 Sep 2006 - 02:23

Yes I am very pleased at your perseverance Barry did a great job.To the nitties-ubderstand in 3DENM with have to get the map to UTM projection. Yes I did remember that when I was working in 3 DEM and clicked on 'Operation' . Go to 'Change Projection' The options either Cionvert to ' UTM Projection ' or Change to 'UTM Ellipsoid'. When I looked at the two options the one we want that is ' UTM Projection' was in faint print . The other option was in black print. I presume from that the selection was OK i.e UTM Projection. Correct me if I was wrong. About the white sea depth now this is in the small map that you click on to see where you are going and place GPS points on etc. The contour lines near the shore that you suggested up to 30 are OK that is graduated in blue light blue et when it gets to the - 30 mark it goes white.Thinking about it barry perhaps I need to put the last contour number up higher to make it all blue. Also thiis evening I will check the depth of the White section with the echo sounder.
I will find out what's wrong Barry you have really helped me enough.
I am pally with several of the software Stentec people in there main Headquarters and I will ask them if they will be coming up with a Rev 5.0. If so then I will suggest they include , it will be a choice for a second sailboat to be on the horizon with you !!!. Regards Bill Cridland
BillC21

Re: rte: Useful info

Postby Barry » Sun 10 Sep 2006 - 12:40

BillC21 wrote:Yes I am very pleased at your perseverance Barry did a great job.To the nitties-ubderstand in 3DENM with have to get the map to UTM projection. Yes I did remember that when I was working in 3 DEM and clicked on 'Operation' . Go to 'Change Projection' The options either Cionvert to ' UTM Projection ' or Change to 'UTM Ellipsoid'. When I looked at the two options the one we want that is ' UTM Projection' was in faint print . The other option was in black print. I presume from that the selection was OK i.e UTM Projection. Correct me if I was wrong. About the white sea depth now this is in the small map that you click on to see where you are going and place GPS points on etc. The contour lines near the shore that you suggested up to 30 are OK that is graduated in blue light blue et when it gets to the - 30 mark it goes white.Thinking about it barry perhaps I need to put the last contour number up higher to make it all blue. Also thiis evening I will check the depth of the White section with the echo sounder.
I will find out what's wrong Barry you have really helped me enough.
I am pally with several of the software Stentec people in there main Headquarters and I will ask them if they will be coming up with a Rev 5.0. If so then I will suggest they include , it will be a choice for a second sailboat to be on the horizon with you !!!. Regards Bill Cridland

-------------------------------
Hi Bill

I assume if it is greyed out we can't change it, so we are already on that projection.
Just looking now loading the hgt file. CHANGE UTM ELLIPSOID is greyed out so I click on CONVERT TO UTM PROJECTION.

BoX open with UTM ELLIPSOID on it and I click OK.
Seems to contradict itself, but read the help file so apparently OK.
I did enquire on the forum a while back but no replies.

I found out about it when I made Majorca and I seemed to have lost about 10 kilomtres or more on one end so I enlarged the map with the spacing to get it correct which in turn I suppose made it worse. I read in 3dem help that coverting to UTM projection corrects the distortion so we must right. But opposite for hgt download direct and global mapper with tar.gz

Perhaps Global Mapper changed it for you or your files are already in the correct format tar.gz. That is for USA.

Still needs srtm2 hgt files for Europe and the rest of the world?
Which then means we need to change to UTM projection, that is if using hgt files and srtm2 data, but don't change if USA with tar.gz files.

All very confusing.:wink:

Barry
Barry

re:Color Levels

Postby BillC21 » Wed 13 Sep 2006 - 17:42

Just going over the procedure Barry and also easy to implement. The 3DEM seems to be and excellent all in one program for setting color levels before submission to VT Build and DEM Build. IN 3 DEM the user cal generated a grey scale which is very good and zero is Black and Max value is white. Then when DEM Buiold we add the sea depths manually. Getting back to 3DEM in the Grey Scale Window you can modify the levels. . As a consequence the min valke can now be a negative number the Zereo level can still be set to Black. Now I am now working on defining the colors needed to from zero to the max negative to give us the depths we want. Any help would be appreciated Barry. Regards Bill C
BillC21

Postby Barry » Wed 13 Sep 2006 - 18:56

Hi Bill - I don't think there is an easy way around the depths.
There are depth maps you can download I think (barymetric?), but know little about them, but seems a complex topic- use than as overlays in virtual terrain? or 3dem?
Satellite data does not read depths, at least the ones we use.

I referred to a sea chart which I have for my area and referred to a ordnance survey map to show the beaches and rocks, etc.

I just placed the depths freehand, while glancing at the maps.
I know you can raise the sea depth and tried, plus 1 and plus 2 in 3dem to try and open the rivers up but that doesn't work as drowns the land also.

To open up rivers best in Stentec dem. Draw a box around the area then set no data to plus 1, then another box a bit more along the river then no data plus 2,etc.
Need to do that with the srtm2 files but your files may open up rivers more?

Barry
Barry

re: This & that

Postby BillC21 » Thu 14 Sep 2006 - 01:56

Yes I am in agreement with your restrictions on sea depth in 3DEM. I have tried several tiomes but in each case had to finish the site out with manual contours in DEM Builder. Sorry about Nov if they dont come up with sim 5.0 I will certainly miss you on the forum. You have made a great contribution to this site. I would like to see if they come out with a new version at least the option to program two sail boats t ,the second boat manned by Robot (Manikin )crew.In 3DEM Barry I noticed that under OPERATION you can reduce area so land areas can be reduced and emphasis can be placed on Islands etc.As soon as I have finished the Mapper program I will send it to you. It's probably going to be Cape Codand the Islands. Bill C
BillC21

Postby Barry » Thu 14 Sep 2006 - 03:01

Hi Bill

It's a case of a do it yourself simulator at present and very few of us here now:wink:

Regarding the Scenery Making I don't think there is much more we can do at this stage except for refining the use of global mapper and tar.gz files etc.

However as far as I know, and from what I have read on other forums mainly just usa has the 30 metre dem.

The world, europe, uk, AETC is 90 metre srtm2. There is USA SRTM1 but has not had much work done on it to remove blank areas, etc. At least I think that is the set-up. However in conjunction witht the dem editor the spacing goes down to about 20 metres over 20 miles.

Barry
Barry

Previous

Return to Scenery Designer Toolkit