making new maps

Help each other create new and amazing sailing areas.

making new maps

Postby wdornsife » Sat 20 Dec 2003 - 23:53

How do you use a nav chart as background as suggested in mapmaking intro on this site? What are some of the better sources of free data for DEM data?
wdornsife

Re: making new maps

Postby Barry » Sun 21 Dec 2003 - 13:36

wdornsife wrote:How do you use a nav chart as background as suggested in mapmaking intro on this site? What are some of the better sources of free data for DEM data?

Regarding using a map background. Open dem, make a dem area, Crop map to same size as dem, "set background", load and work over it. At least that is the method I used, perhaps other ways? Doesn't appear to work once you have converted to greyscale, etc.

Alex has a tutorial on his site for creating a route.

Regarding dem data perhaps others can help.

Barry
Barry

Marblehead.Salem Harbour

Postby Bill Cridland » Fri 25 Nov 2005 - 21:03

I have just finished and completed the North Shore of Boston sailing mecca Marblehead and Salem Sound. It includes all buoys and lighthouses . Includes Misery,Bakers and little Misery islands. Also Bowditch Ledge monument ( Designer of Marine tables). Includes Salem and Manchester by the Sea harbours. Now that I have finished the first project with help from Stefan and the 8) try this and try that. I would like see the command to enlarge the Dem map so that the user can draw in finer detail areas of the chart. Any comments help would be appreciated. Still not sure what Barry means cropping the chart et al . Bill Cridland Bolton MA USA email: wa1hmw2@juno.com[/img]
Nothing in mind at the moment !
Bill Cridland

Postby Barry » Fri 25 Nov 2005 - 21:52

Hello Bill

Sounds as if you are making good progress with the route.

As regards cropping just meant make the map section the same size as dem.
If you had say 6 mile square on computer of chart or map and dem map is 4 mile, crop the section needed with say "irfanview" to take a 4 mile square section of the part you want.
Dem. size being space in metres multiplied by bars or points (not sure what they are called). maximum about 2000.

In my case I kept adding sections from maps to make about 50 and 75 miles square bitmap for the last 2 routes.
Then click dem at top/set background, placed the bitmap in dem area, and I just work over it, tracing contours.

The magnifying glass symbol at the side then enlarges to any size to work on. Left click larger on map. Right click smaller.

Regarding detailed areas you could inset a detailed section of a small piece of chart map from another map/chart, into you main bitmap. Just paste it over, or leave areas you don't want blank.

Not sure what method you are using.
My method probably fairly basic but works OK for me.
You probably know what I mentioned but maybe useful for others.

Barry
Last edited by Barry on Sat 26 Nov 2005 - 01:02, edited 1 time in total.
Barry

DEms and this & that

Postby Bill Cridland » Fri 25 Nov 2005 - 23:25

Thanks for the reply Barry interesting ideed however what I did quite simply was just draw the map contour lines the coast ,islands etc under a microscope and took my time.No gimmicks just simply draw as accurate as possible. Most trial and error perseverance and I managed to finish the scenery . I notice that some of the comments are 2002 Barry is this section alive or in the cellar. I think it's fascinating and working on Tahiti and Pitcairn Island ( HMS Bounty resting place). I am a radio Ham and worked Tom Christian VR6TC on Pitcairn Island two years ago he is a descendant of Lietenant Fletcher Christian RN. Again thanks for inputs Barry Merry Christmas Cymru am byth Bill Cridland Bolton MA USA.
Nothing in mind at the moment !
Bill Cridland

Postby Barry » Sat 26 Nov 2005 - 00:39

Bill great having someone else post on the forum, and nice to know we have another person creating routes.

Once you make one and are used to the "pitfalls" you can make any part of the world. I only know my own area which is in my routes, and by making it set in about 1830s I can be excused the occasional errors.
The coastline has altered since then anyway.

Be nice to see some nice tropical islands, routes, etc.
Preferably with the palm trees, but you would need to run them in mb 1.2 to show them properly.
They changed to this new forum a while ago, so perhaps the other you mention is the old forum.

Anyway keep in touch, and post any queries, etc. on the forum.
Can't say I know very much myself, but will try and help if I can.

We will get hundreds of routes eventually to sail on.
Got to keep on hoping as still think these simulators have the potential.

Interesting details you mention of Tahiti, Pitcairn and Tom Christian.

We only need about 6 people making routes and we could have a regular flow of routes to explore.
Especially if Stentec can host some of them on their server.

If you get in touch with Stentec they may be able to host your route on their server as they have put my 2 routes on it.

Many Thanks

Barry
Barry

Return to Scenery Designer Toolkit