Freeship Design Software. Try It?

Help each other create new and amazing sailing areas.

Freeship Design Software. Try It?

Postby Barry » Mon 12 Sep 2005 - 02:59

http://www.freeship.org/

First time I have tried it, but had the software and link a few months.
Seems you can make any hull shape and will now import easily into Blender. I exported as dxf. You would still need to know how to use Blender or similar.

Perhaps someone more experienced than me could try it out.
You need to mirror the other half of hull. Not sure how to join them in Blender. Vertices ir polygons or just join the 2 halfs complete. Anyway I think you can make any hull shape, as only given it a quick try.
Plenty of experimenting to try out with it.

Barry
Barry

Postby Barry » Mon 12 Sep 2005 - 03:20

Getting better. There is a comprehensive pdf manual you can download and...looks as if you can model the whole ship/boat with it.
Again only a quick glance at it as getting late.

Barry
Barry

Postby Jan » Mon 12 Sep 2005 - 10:42

Hi Barry

Also took a look at FreeShip.
Exported the model as obj. file and then imported in Blender.
No problems.

Jan
Jan

Postby Barry » Mon 12 Sep 2005 - 15:20

Hi Jan.

I tried dxf and that imported with no problem into Blender.
Maybe we could get this thread going mainly for advice and tutorials about how to use it. Simple boat tutorial with it. How to add superstructure. Each step described in detail.
hints tips. How to start in my case.

As far as I can see all and any type of boat can be made, hull and superstructure. Finding out how to use it easily is the next problem.

Even if you can't use Blender, those that can't could just learn how to texture in Blender, then you can export as the vrml2 file required by the simulators. I noticed that other file formats fro exporting may be added, so perhaps even vrml2, but would still need texturing?

Sail!ship appears very similar to ordinary modelling say in Blender but seems easier as the hull is automatically shaped just by moving the different vertices, each in turn adjusts the others automatically,

I think I will print out the pdf help file as easier to read that way.
Maybe others could add their advice, tutorials, and answer questions from others, on this thread.

I don't know any more than anyone else about but it seems it may be the answer. I think I noticed there was mention of a website for boats eventually on sail!ship site. Perhaps some may be downloadable eventually.

I did notice that when you join the two halfs you would need to flip the polygons as that side is invisible in the simulators. It is an easy matter to do that but at present it a case of finding out how to perhaps in sail!ship and join the 2 halfs in it.

Barry

P.S. We will get there yet. :)
Barry

Return to Scenery Designer Toolkit