How/Where to get the Object Editor?

Help each other create new and amazing sailing areas.

How/Where to get the Object Editor?

Postby Aurelien » Tue 01 Jul 2008 - 16:53

Hi all,

I would like to create an offshore map for MotorBoat Sim.
I have already solved many problems alone but as I supposed ships go through VRML objects.
So I have read almost of this forum and I have understood I have to use the Stentec Object Editor to get s3d with collision spheres.

My problem is I do not find this tool on my PC...is it included in an other Stentec tool?

Thanks for your help.

Aurélien
Aurelien

Re: How/Where to get the Object Editor?

Postby Barry » Tue 01 Jul 2008 - 18:49

Hi

The Object Editor is from Stentec site, then downloads.
Also my sceneries mostly made with dem data can be downloaded. There are also scennries from others, Usermade tab.

http://www.sailsimulator.com/

You can place the collision spheres in the object editor. They work in motorboat sim, but you can fix it to work in sailsim by opening the 3ds or buoy file in wordpad and altering one of the lines.

The Scenery Designer no longer works with Vista but still OK with XP so stopped making scsneries until SS5 arrives.
Also tutorials on my site for Blender and some Object editor screenshots,etc.
I used to have a tutorial for making sceneries using satellite data but took it off my site with Scenery Designer useless with Vista. It may still be on the forums but think I deleted that a while ago but will have a look.

Thanks

Barry

The Scenery
Last edited by Barry on Sat 05 Jul 2008 - 18:45, edited 1 time in total.
Barry

Postby Barry » Tue 01 Jul 2008 - 19:05

Just had a look and the Tutorial is still there so will repost it here.
Will fill in a bit of empty space on the forum.......
I remember you use the settings in virtual terrain which is a sample then its the fraction to get the size of your map.
Maybe Ralf will post as he used this method also for his routes.
I think the maximum size was 2040 which goes for the longest side of your map and the sample fraction in the sample x 2040 in the other.
See lower down the page "using SRTM" by Altug which gives the rest of the details for setting the size as briefly detailed above.
--------------------------------------------------------
Tutorial for Creating a SRTM satellite data Scenery.

Postby Barry on Wed 08 Mar 2006 - 21:54
Tutorial for Creating a SRTM data, route/Scenery for Stentec Simulators.
Download srtm data Eurasia version 2.

http://www2.jpl.nasa.gov/srtm/index.html

Using 3DEM

http://www.visualizationsoftware.com/3dem/

Virtual Terrain in the Scenery Designer Folder or Download

http://www.vterrain.org/

Time taken to make the scenery is a couple of hours as I had to type the tutorial up at the same time as I made it.

Could take weeks tracing contours as in my previous routes.
So from now all my routes will be made using satellite srtm data.

----------------------------------------
1. I am making a route of the Isle of Man as I type this.
I do not know the exact method of setting up the scale in Virtual Terrain.
It appears to adjust the spacing itself in Scenery Designer.
If you set it up in Scenery Designer you get a scenery made of blocks and pillars but the alternative method I describe seems to work OK, with nicely smoothed mountains and terrain.
As always no liabilty accepted and try the method at your own risk.
I do not know the exact method to go about setting up the size but unable to make a usable route if setting the size in the Scenery Designer so set it in Virtual Terrain.

Open 3DEM, File. Load Terrain Model and open the your chosen srtm satellite data, which is an HGT file.
Click SRTM date (HGT).
Click OK and go to to the folder you saved you strm files in.

Operation/Patch missing data, if you wish to remove voids (blue water) caused by cloud cover etc.
Draw a box around the area and press Enter.
If you want a smaller area Operation/Select Smaller Area and press Enter.
File/Save/ USGS ASCII DEM/ - give it a file name and save into a folder.directory of your choice.

---------------------------------------
2. Open Virtual Terrain.
You may have to close it down with Task managaer. Control/Alt/Del
Layer/Import Data/Elevation
Go to the folder where you saved the 3DEM file, open and you get a brightly coloured map.
Export area in top row then Set To Extants.
Just means you have selected all the map I think.
Then elevation in the top row/ Merge and export elevation - give it a file name,and save to your chosen folder.
At the same time there is a Merge and Resample Box.
I click "any size" and make it 2000 for X and Y as a using a square dem map, to get a finer resolution and smooth mountains.
I assume this is height points and the maximum is 2040 or therabouts, (I think) in the Scenery Designer.
Click OK and a message appears to say successfully installed or similar.
This is now the .bt file which we need, in order for the Scenery Sesigner Dem program to process it.
Close Virtual Terrain.
I close it with Program manager - Control/Alt/Del
-------------------------------------

3. Open Scenery Designer.
If using Windows XP you may need to make it compatible to windows 95 to get it to save.
This is at the time of writing 8 march 2006.
Open Dem Builder. File/Open and open your .bt file you made with the Virual Terrain program.
Leave all the details as they are, click OK and it creates the terrain in greyscale,
Click the water symbol at the top and it shows the water and the shape of your land as photographed from the satellite.
All the water however is at zero height.
Which is what it was set at when we looked at in the 3DEM program/
You can increase this in 3DEM but it tend to flood the land if you increase it too much.
You can't decrease it as set to zero.
So dem top row/SET NO DATA/SINGLE HEIGHT/
ZERO is already set, but if not, set it to 0, as we want to get a blank pink dem. for this area to enable to set some water depths.
Click set as new if you want a new file making, rather than overwriting the current file.
Click OK and like magic your zero water height becomes pink dem to work on and I have quite nice detail of te Isle of Man route I a making while I type.
I will put on some approximate depths, so choose the line symbol at the side, type a depth in box at side in metres say minus -10 and draw a thread right next to the land if you want deeper water there. If say a beach you could make it -2 metres.
You need to draw these lines very close to the land.
The depths will slope up or down towards each other.
If too far away from say a cliff, you will get extra unwanted land added as it slopes down towards the sea, etc.
You can use the magnifying glass as the side.
Make sure you click APPLY, after you lay each seperate height, as I think the apply is for the last thread height you set.
Right click to release a thread.
Try and set as many threads as possible to reduce the time it takes to generate the terrain.
Just got an error notice, but used undo, which removed a few threads I set and pressed apply again.
Save this file if you wish - or click Dem at top.Interpolate/OK.
You will see a slider at the bottom of the window moving as it generated the no data area.
It is taking several minutes to interpolate as I should have put more threads on as quicker then, but only for this tutorial so no matter.
Looks like a nice Scenery of the Isle of Man.
When generated click the water symbol at top to see if water OK.

3. Next the simulator need a SCENE file so dem at top convert projection/click scene/OK. Click convert as new if you want a new file of it.
Next you need to remove the no data pink margin, so also crop this margin out.
Side square symbol then edit and crop, name and save to folder of your choice.
Close DeM Builder and open Scenery Builder.
File/New. Box opens and scroll to the file you just saved.
It should open OK if you cropped the pink margins clear as previously detailed.
If it come up with no data you will need to crop the edges again as before as you probably missed a bit of the pink margin.

Scenery opens. Click OK and the scenery generates.
Put a texture on, and quickest to import colours from another suitable scenery already made.
Use my sceneries if you wish and you double click the scenery file to load the colours. Or set you own bands of colours.
Then save scenery to a folder of choice.
Then register, top row button, and save again.
You also then put the starting position on for the boat etc.
Details for making an ordinanry scenery are on my site, so please refer to that for further details.

End of Tutorial.
Barry

Postby Aurelien » Wed 02 Jul 2008 - 08:47

Barry, thanks for your fast answer and your great explanations.
...it is great to have this kind of help before beginning

thanks

Aurélien
Aurelien

Return to Scenery Designer Toolkit