Generating contour map for DEM interpolation

Help each other create new and amazing sailing areas.

Generating contour map for DEM interpolation

Postby Bill Cridland » Sat 11 Feb 2006 - 21:54

Trying to clip move mouse so that one gets a correct coastline really taxes ones patience. You look at the finished contour lines whether they be the depth or terrain does not look the same as the original. I decided to do it another way. Get a Navigation chart of the area you wish to construct . When you have set up the blank pink rectangle/ square increase to double the size.. Measure all the sides. Cut out 'a see through' lightweight Vellum typwriter sheet of paper . Cut this to the same size as the pink blank sheet . Lay this 'see through' sheet on top of the Navigational chart . Use thin pencil point or ink , outline the coast lines , buoy positions with an 'x' and other relevant details. Put this see through sheet on top of a sheet of carbon paper.Tape the two sheets to the computer screen , carbon paper as the underside. Then with a firm scribe using a thin pen point or pencil put the coastal layout onto the computer screen. Leave it dry. When making a new Dem. Just save the project whatever generate the click move mouse contour lines with the map layout on the screen as a guide. Contour lines are much more exact and looks like the original Navigational chart. My layout stayed on the screen for several days. To clean it off just use water and rubbing.That's as far as I got cannot interpolate the DEM i made because I think it's due to changing the OS to XP.
Nothing in mind at the moment !
Bill Cridland

Postby Barry » Sat 11 Feb 2006 - 22:23

Bill don't forget to apply the height to each seperate contour height line.
I used to place say a couple of heigt then apply and eventually realised you are only applying the last height you typed in when clicking apply.
At least I think so.

Using the magnify plus or minus button and you can work quite closely around the contour lines. Clck Apply after each height. I have made the last 3 routes that way and as very mountainous in parts only applied some of the contours.

The reslolution at 88 metres was too big on the last as the contour lines were too wide to get contours close togther, and each pixel 88 metres, etc.

You can overlay a semi transparent map on top of another map for the dem. with some paint programs.

To place objects in Scenery Designer make a flat plane in Blender.
Plan view. key 7 in blender. Export as vrml2.
Make it say 500 metre square.
Put an texture on of the buoy positions. quays, coast or whatever.
Place in Scenery Designer in place, on your blank scenery map.
Work over it placing whatever you wish.
When finished just delete the flat plane.
I placed the miles of docks that way and you can place items quite accurately, probably to within a few metres.
Made 6 seperate ones I think to cover the 3 miles of docks.
Placed the quays, then deleted the flat planes.

You can make the flat plane any size or shape you want.
Blender add pane. Then S scale to any size.
Make your own plan, image, map, buoy position map or whatever you want to put on it as a bitmap or tga texture.

I posted on sail forum in reply about your dem save problem.
I use windows XP etc. Make compatible to windows 98 or ME etc, ot won't save.

Open from program files or won't save.

Possibly make yourself as admistrator of windows XP?
You just type your name.

Barry
Barry

Postby Bill Cridland » Sun 12 Feb 2006 - 18:18

Barry some excellents points you have raised and I will study them closely. I am surprised that more members are not interested in scenery design. There are so many areas that one can explore and construct , one I had in mind was Hawaii and Pitcairn Island in the Pacific. Get the lat and long of the island and don your uniform and you are Captain Bligh. Now what i have done so far with regards to saving the interpolated DEMs are the following. I am now able to get the interpolated picture in grey scale but unable to save it . As I mentioned Barry the window pops up stating 'Access Denied'. theres a finality about that statement and I am of the opinion I might be using the demo innards instead of the full blown version. If one downloads the Demo version of SceneryDesign toolkit its about 5.7 Mb then there are constraints in what the user can NOT do . no DEM resizing, no background images and the key item Save to bitmap ][b]DISABLED. What I am going to do is clear out all the data which make up the existing SceneryDesign toolkit. Probably some inhibits built in and possibly currupted and download a full version it's abt 9.12 Mb. To insure that one gets a protective version of this program they give you three personnel codes, they are 1. Username 2. Password. 3. Licencecode. To download a demo version its easy to locate on the Stentec site however to find their download for the full version 9.12 Mb is another story. Perhaps someone would let me know where on the site the Download full version is. There is a line that one can highlight which says buy full version but Murphys law one clicks the red highlighted buy now and nothing happens. To the nitties Barry I will download a fresh clean copy of the full version and if it still does not save the bitmap will ask Stentec to get their software people to look at it. A lot of people are changing from Windows 98 to the XP versions . It makes sense since XP has a library of Application drivers which is only one reason to change. Barry finally I did notice that when I installed SP 2 that Home is now just XP.
Bill Cridland

Postby Barry » Sun 12 Feb 2006 - 18:46

Bill I posted on the sailsim forum but also copied the same post below for you.

If you don't have the FULL version I suppose you would have to write to Stentec to enable a replacement download, if you don't have it copied to CD, or as a back up on your computer.

Mine was in the PLUS CD version of sailsim when I bought it. Also can be bought from Stentec on CD or download.

"After purchasing you receive download instructions and your license code by email."

Also as you say remove any version still on your computer, then install the FULL version perhaps.

Make sure drectories (folders) also removed if traces remain.

--------------------
Bill not sure where the sequence is going wrong.
Perhaps try the following.
This is the method I have used for all my routes.
Except I call folder Barry.
Also perhaps make "FULL" Scenery Designer compatible to Windows 98/Windows Me.
This is what I used.
Right click on crossed tool icon to make compatible.

1 Make a folder in Program files/Stentec/Scenery Designer Toolkit/Dem Builder/ and call it Bill.
This is not Program Files/Common Files.Stentec shared which is the default for the finished routes

1.Make a dem map. i.e. pink square and lay a few contours as a test. Click apply after each height. Then "SAVE AS" scroll to this folder and save this dem. call it billa.
This is a back up basic dem with just the contour line heights.

2.Next open dem builder folder either from the Start/Program/Scenery Designer or from the shortcut of the crossed tools you mention. Then its File/Open/Open Bill folder/Open billa (your basic dem).

3. Now interpolate it. The more contours that fill the blank spaces the quicker it finishes!
Next try saving this as a back up again to you Bill Folder you made. SAVE AS. open your folder. call this file billb this time.
This should be the greyscale map.

4. You now Open Scenery Designer.
New/ there are then 3 Boxes. Name...Folder...Dem.
Open the Dem box first and scroll to your greyscale billb and open it.
For the Folder scroll to Program Files/ Common Files/ Stentec Shared/Sceneries. Leave Sceneries highlighted but don't open Sceneries folder (I think that is what I do).

It will probably put billb in as the name. or rename it as a file name, no spaces.
Then generate scenery and it should go to the default folder Common Files etc as detailed.

That is what should happen.
Just try it perhaps with any small default dem of an island, etc and see what happens.

Parhaps let us know which step in the sequence goes wrong.
Also I keep making backs ups. the greyscale could be billb1, billb2, etc.
Or basic dem, billa1, billa2, billa3, etc.
You can then go back to the last one that worked OK, if it all goes wrong.

If you put the dem or scenery files in some folder on your computer and open them without Opening the Scenery Designer first. and then through the scroll boxes I think you get the notice you don't have rights, etc when you try to save. This is what I meant by DON'T double click a file to open it direct, without going through the Scenery Designer to get to it.

If none of the above works, perhaps try the administrator rights.
Out of ideas after that.
Had a look at the help in windows for administrator.
Perhaps leave it as it is as it mentiones possible virus attacks, etc.
Also it mentions
To run a program that won't work under the Limited account, log off and then log back on using the Computer administrator account.
i.e log off rather than turn off computer?
No real idea though about that side of it..

Barry
Barry

re: unable to save DEMS using XP OS

Postby Bill Cridland » Tue 14 Feb 2006 - 20:32

Barry I will try what you have so kindly given in your reply. IN the meantime I have spent two days trying to resolve the save problem. SailSimulator 4.2 works very well on an XP OS.Also other applcation which I had on Windows 98 and transferred to an XP Os works great no problem. Something in this Scenery Design that does not allow a save on a Dem. What I have done finishing up on this boondoggle is to write to Stentec specifically to their Software Division and report the anomoly. With the email I gave them my User Name Password and Licence number. So all they have to do is insert the data I sent them and see if they get the same problem. As I mentioned to them Barry there are a lot of Users who have transferred to an XP Home or Professional Operating System so anything they do will ripple down to these users.I will try once more looking at your steps Barry see if I can save the DEM. I have had to get some of my work completed since I teach C++ and am behind in my classroom handouts. Again Barry thanks for the assist I wonder if any other lmember is taking all this in !! Finally using a semitransparent lay over seems to be a good approach.
Bill Cridland

Postby Barry » Wed 15 Feb 2006 - 00:54

Hi Bill.

I understand how frustrating it can be spending hours trying to fix these things. Have spent weeks my self, on and off, trying to solve problems.
One example was a transparent feature like a window, porthole or lighthouse top, made the adjacent part also transparent.

Spend umpteen hours experimenting on a problem that eventually took a few minutes to solve, asking on this forum, etc, with no response. I found You have to work on the opaque part last not the transparent part so that fixed my lighthouse problem, etc.
I eventullay found that answer on Virtual Sailor forum I think.

Apparently there seem to be very few interested and feedback from Stentec and forum members is apparently extremely sparse, at best, with the exception of course, of the few that post on a regular basis.

However I spent about 5 to 6 years trying to find a maritime simulator, from when I first got a computer.

So only know of Virtual Sailor and the Stentec sim for modelling a realistic maritime environment. and at present the Stentec sims seem the easiest option (I think). Although still bugs unfixed after a few years, regarding.. collision spHeres in sail sim. Sail sim locks on changing function for me, only a few boats can be made to float with Object Editor, compatibility problem with XP.

Only use motorboat sim now because of problems...but not much realism though, running a single motorboat in my routes set in very early 19th Century.

Suppose I will plod on with it (unless a new maritime sim comes along).. but a bit disgruntled. Maybe change to Virtual Sailor if placing Scenery Items become easier in it for placing realistic, docks, dock gates, bollards, locks, ports. harbours, etc.

Also watching progress with Crystal Space in conjunction with Blender,
although I know nothing about programming.
Blender already has it's own game engine but I think it is limited in what it can do. Crystal Space may be interesting as it's a new step up and offers a lot more possibilities I think. Have no idea at present how to use it though but still in beta I think.

All open source.

http://www.crystalspace3d.org/tikiwiki/ ... ticles.php

Thanks

Barry
Barry

Re: re: unable to save DEMS using XP OS

Postby Jan » Wed 15 Feb 2006 - 11:52

Bill Cridland wrote:Barry I will try what you have so kindly given in your reply. IN the meantime I have spent two days trying to resolve the save problem. SailSimulator 4.2 works very well on an XP OS.Also other applcation which I had on Windows 98 and transferred to an XP Os works great no problem. Something in this Scenery Design that does not allow a save on a Dem. What I have done finishing up on this boondoggle is to write to Stentec specifically to their Software Division and report the anomoly. With the email I gave them my User Name Password and Licence number. So all they have to do is insert the data I sent them and see if they get the same problem. As I mentioned to them Barry there are a lot of Users who have transferred to an XP Home or Professional Operating System so anything they do will ripple down to these users.I will try once more looking at your steps Barry see if I can save the DEM. I have had to get some of my work completed since I teach C++ and am behind in my classroom handouts. Again Barry thanks for the assist I wonder if any other lmember is taking all this in !! Finally using a semitransparent lay over seems to be a good approach.

Hi bill

Did you try the solution mentioned in the firts topic (Why can i not save DEM files), by making the Designer compatible to Win 95.
On my PC with XP home edition it worked.

Jan
Jan

Inability to save DEMS using XP OS

Postby Bill Cridland » Wed 15 Feb 2006 - 19:31

Jan thanks for your inoputs re: inabilty to save DEMS using XP OS. I have tried Windows 98 compatibility. However food for thouight Jan I will try Winbdows 95 and see if I can save the DEM . I did get an answer back from Stenteb. They said several users were also experiencing the same problem Howwever after setting the computer compatibility they all got their DEMS saving feature resolved.Also Barry has given me a few leads and advice and was of great help.Regards
Bill Cridland

Postby Barry » Fri 17 Feb 2006 - 22:02

Hi Bill.

I read your post on the other thread, so it is good news, that making it compatible to 95, eventually got it to work O.K..

It will make route making now more interesting for you, and you have the whole world to choose from.

Barry
Barry

RE: Problem saving DEMS in XP OS

Postby Bill Cridland » Sat 18 Feb 2006 - 21:52

Thanks for your advice Barry also Jan and Stefans(Stentec) leads to use Windows 95 which solved the problem.. As I mentioned in another email I assumed since I converted my Computer from Windows 98 to Home Edition XP that compatiblity would be to use Windows 98 nada it has to be set to Windows 95. Windows 95 is a very old operating system. Also the master copy of SailSimulator 4.2 came on a CD with a copy of SceneryDesign Toolkit . This copy for some reason had a built error on a Cloud.bmp file.It never rains but what it pours !. Resolved that with a good backup CD. Regards to both
Bill Cridland

Return to Scenery Designer Toolkit