grey scale bit maps for DEMs

Help each other create new and amazing sailing areas.

grey scale bit maps for DEMs

Postby ajnasreddin » Thu 06 Apr 2006 - 18:37

Sorry if this is mentioned somewhere else, but I am not following the satelite thread very closely these days (too much work, work, work).

I noticed that Stentec's DEM builder makes a grey scale image which is used for building scenes later on. Is it possible to make a scenery just by importing one of these grey scale images? Or is there some other trick you need?

Has anyone tried BasicDEM?

http://www.resurgentsoftware.com/basicdem.html
ajnasreddin

Re: grey scale bit maps for DEMs

Postby Barry » Thu 06 Apr 2006 - 21:52

ajnasreddin wrote:Sorry if this is mentioned somewhere else, but I am not following the satelite thread very closely these days (too much work, work, work).

I noticed that Stentec's DEM builder makes a grey scale image which is used for building scenes later on. Is it possible to make a scenery just by importing one of these grey scale images? Or is there some other trick you need?

Has anyone tried BasicDEM?

http://www.resurgentsoftware.com/basicdem.html

Hello AJ

The scenery is automatically generated from the greyscale map in the dem editor.
To make all the land tracing contours can take ages, as that is the way I used to make the sceneries. You convert the dem contours to the greyscale - that then automatcally generates a full scenery. You probably know all that side of it.

Using srtm data makes the greyscale map automatically for you without the boring part of having to trace the terrain contours.

You still have to lay the depths though.
This is easily done by removing all the sea which is at zero already. Set no data to zero and it vanishes and you have a blank dem area to place the minus sea and estuary depths on.

As mentioned you could make a scenery say in 15 minutes to an hour if just guesssing the depths.

It is just the same as tracing contours as before but the land part is already made for you as a greyscale map which is needed to auto generate the scenery.

Download 3DEM to start off and take a look at a few srtm version 2 files?
Then if interested take it a stage further. Tutorial on my site and links, etc.

Or if limited time just post when you meet the first problem, or unsure of the next step. Save each file as you make it or alter it and you can always go back to it later.
You would also need Virtual Terrain to make a .bt file. It is in the Scenery Designer or can be downloaded by email I think.

Barry
Barry

Postby ajnasreddin » Sat 08 Apr 2006 - 12:48

Thanks Barry. I've been stumbling across some sites with greyscale images already prepared. It seems that the game Simcity, among others, uses these images for their in-game maps.

http://www.shadedrelief.com/

This is another site I came across - maybe worth a look.
ajnasreddin

Postby Barry » Sat 08 Apr 2006 - 15:45

ajnasreddin wrote:Thanks Barry. I've been stumbling across some sites with greyscale images already prepared. It seems that the game Simcity, among others, uses these images for their in-game maps.

http://www.shadedrelief.com/

This is another site I came across - maybe worth a look.

AJ

Regarding the maps you mention not sure if the greyscale would need to be Stentec's own file version.
They need the heights embedded in.
You could try opening one with Scenery Designer.
Click New then scroll to the greyscale and see if it will open.
Also need to be in Scene Projection which you can change it to in the Dem Editor, then save and open with Scenery Designer.

If my tutorial seems complicated its just because I added all the extra details. You could summarise it into about a dozen lines.

The srtm files on satellite site, version 2 folder, are mainly under 1 meg. You can join adjacent ones by loading several at the same time, crop sections if you wish, or just try any with some coast on. Europe is Eurasia but there is USA, Islands and much of the world.

Barry

:)
Barry

Re: grey scale bit maps for DEMs

Postby Archie » Mon 04 Mar 2013 - 09:42

Thank you Barry I've been try that and it works well. Using srtm data makes the greyscale map automatically .
Archie

Return to Scenery Designer Toolkit