Sail Sim x Virtual Sailor

Sail Sim x Virtual Sailor

Postby DarkBlue » Wed 11 Nov 2009 - 14:50

Hi all,
I am very interested in buying this SS5 but not 100% convinced yet. I'm not interested in the racing side but more in the cruising side. I would like to know if SS5 has all of the instruments for cruising navigation (charts, radar, plotter, gps... - and I don't mean the wingps).

I used to play the Virtual Sailor game and the "feel" was very good. But these days they are more airplane oriented and forgetting everything about sailing...
Thank you
DarkBlue

Re: Sail Sim x Virtual Sailor

Postby DarkBlue » Sat 14 Nov 2009 - 20:19

So, anyone would be so kind to give me an answer??
DarkBlue

Postby caseyjonez » Sun 15 Nov 2009 - 04:52

yes, it has lots of that kind of 'stuff' in it, but it's still not a real boat .. there's a decent waypoint plotting chart system, kind of radar i suppose.. i'm happy they put an anchor and motor/oars in all the boats -- adds to the immersion

there's 10 or so standard instruments, all done very well that give you an abundance of information, and no shortage of sail controls (but don't go asking me where the barberhauler is or if your boat can have a blooper and a tender. the bbq on the vor70 is broken as well..

Sail Simulator 5 is a very good sailboat simulator, with a bit of a broken racing system I think (early impression) but it's not in the 'full release' stage yet i guess you'd call it a working beta
Virtual Skipper 5 is a great freeish strategy game.. like 3d sailboat chess .. lots of fun and lots of players
Virtual Sailor i've never heard of, but maybe you mean Virtual Skipper which is why i mentioned it?

If you want a fun sailboat simulator that looks like it's going to keep getting better w/ every release closer to launch get this one.
caseyjonez

Postby Mike48 » Sun 15 Nov 2009 - 11:09

I have bought the Sail Simulator 5.
For me it seems great.
Is it possible to make a plug-in for Google Earth to see our journeys?
Is it possible to put map in the simulator (map editor does it exist?).
Best regards to all.
Mike48

Postby DarkBlue » Sun 15 Nov 2009 - 18:22

Caseyjones,
Thank you for your answer! Too bad there«s no bbq on it...lol

P.s.:And yes, I was referring to V. Sailor (PM if you want a link for the game) and not V. Skipper.
DarkBlue

Postby Marxx » Mon 16 Nov 2009 - 14:16

Hi,

I've been recently testing the NMEA implementation connecting SS5 to MaxSea installed on the notebook. For cruising - nice experience :) and some of the SS5 features are not longer so importent - all data is recalculated and displayed on separate screen in the layout I'm used to. What is missing for cruising - more locations, lights, good binocular with compass ...

Regards,
Marek
Marxx

Postby Mike48 » Mon 16 Nov 2009 - 16:42

Marxx, Thank you for your answer.

Perhaps can you explain how we must use Sail Simulator and the notepad to use MaxSea. Is it the real MaxSea or a virtual?
Sorry for the stupid question but I am a newbie with the PC?
Mike48

Postby Bernard » Tue 17 Nov 2009 - 09:40

You can use the NMEA Link in settings to create a Virtual Null Modem connection. You can also choose the output you want Sail Simulator to create. After that Sail Simulator 5 tells you the port you need to use.
Greetings Bernard

Stentec Support Team
Bernard
Site Admin

Postby Mike48 » Tue 24 Nov 2009 - 19:45

Do you think that it is possible to use WinGPS 4.2 Navigator (download version) with my Sail Simulator 5 on the same PC?
Will I see the maps in the "map" of my Sail Simulator 5?
Mike48

Postby eriko » Tue 24 Nov 2009 - 20:56

I use WinGPS Voyager to display the information from Sail Simulator. This works very nice, even the windspeed & direction is available. You'll need a map in WinGPS to display the location.

If you don't have a map (e.g. the 1800 series) you can download some demo charts for free (world map, map of the netherlands) or create your own map with DKW builder lite.
eriko

Postby Mike48 » Tue 24 Nov 2009 - 21:15

Thank you for the answer.
Perhaps if I need, may I post my questions?
About the maps, can we see them in the map's window of our Sail Sim?
Mike48

Postby eriko » Tue 24 Nov 2009 - 21:27

No, that's not possible, Sail Simulator sends a NMEA signal to WinGPS, not the other way around.

So you can see your Sail Simulator position inside WinGPS. Also, this only works for single player, no multiplayer support yet.
eriko

Postby Mike48 » Tue 24 Nov 2009 - 22:55

Thus for example, I open the Sail Simulator, I close the window with Sail Simulator, I open WinGPS and I open the window with the Sail Simulator?
Mike48

Postby eriko » Tue 24 Nov 2009 - 23:05

Start Sail Simulator, configure Sail Simulator to run in a window, not fullscreen (do this in the first screen with the settings)

Setup NMEA output in Sail Simulator, create a virtual com port pair.

Start WinGPS in another window, configure the input instruments.
Drag a GPS device and the comport on the instruments screen and connect them together with a line.

Press start communication in WinGPS and the GPS position from sail simulator will appear in WinGPS.
Last edited by eriko on Wed 25 Nov 2009 - 09:53, edited 1 time in total.
eriko

Postby Mike48 » Tue 24 Nov 2009 - 23:49

Drag a GPS devica and the comport on the instruments screen and connect them together with a line.

This I don't understand? Drag a GPS device... from where?
Sorry for this stupid question!
Mike48

Next

Return to Sail Simulator 5 - General