How-to's about WinGPS Pro and DKW-charts

Solutions for common problems encountered in WinGPS Pro 3.

How-to's about WinGPS Pro and DKW-charts

Postby Hilbert » Fri 10 Oct 2003 - 14:32

Question:
There is a constant difference at all charts between my chart position and my real position (50 - 150m). Also the GPS position differs from the position indicated in the status bar of WinGPS Pro.

Answer:
Probably the chart datum of your GPS is not the same as in WinGPS Pro. Check File/Setup/Navigation/Navigation/GPS Datum and select the same datum as your GPS.

More info:
The chart datum defines a model of the curvature of the earth. WGS84 is standard these days. You can also set the prefered of your GPS by its menu. The datum of the charts used by WinGPS Pro can and may differ from the GPS-datum setting. WinGPS Pro corrects this.
Hilbert
Stentec Software Marketing

Postby Hilbert » Fri 10 Oct 2003 - 14:33

Question:
My position on a certain Mercator chart is not accurate. There is a difference of several pixels.

Answer:
You can calibrate this chart again to improve accuracy with file/calibrate bitmap.

More info:
Then load the chart with Load BitMap. Check the Datum, Pos1 and Pos2. With a Mercator projection the lines must be exactly vertical. Use Paint Shop Pro to correct small rotations.

For a non-Mercator chart use 3 point calibrations (+Pos3). Searching an other map does not function with version 3.20.0. This has been corrected in the 3.20.1 update.
Hilbert

Postby Hilbert » Fri 10 Oct 2003 - 14:34

Question:
Next chart not found!

Answer:
The chart searched for is probably not in the same folder. With File/Edit/Folders you can create and divide.

More info:
Only charts in the same folder switch over to each other. With installation of DKW1800 charts, for every set of charts a seperate folder is created.
Hilbert

Postby Hilbert » Fri 10 Oct 2003 - 14:35

Question:
Only a part of a BSB chart shows up, and or the colors are not OK.

Answer:
Use the arrows on your keyboard to step through the total map. Zoom out to make an overview. For the colors: put your monitor settings to 16 k or 32 k colors (high or full color). First switch off WinGPS Pro.

More info:
BSB charts are scanned in many small parts mostly in *.jpg format. DKW charts on the other hand are complete full charts in mostly *.bmp format, best running in 256 colors.
Hilbert

Postby Hilbert » Fri 10 Oct 2003 - 14:35

Question:
When drawing a route the chart keeps jumping back (Automatic positioning button).

Answer:
With WinGPS Pro, standard a button "automatic positioning" (globe) is installed. If it is switched off, the chart is free to move (even if the communication is switched on or off).

More info:
With an update of WinGPS Pro, you have to activate this button yourself in the toolbar via File/Setup/Toolbar. Select left and bring this to right with >>. You can choose to remove buttons that are not being used to keep the toolbar small.
Hilbert

Postby Hilbert » Fri 10 Oct 2003 - 14:36

Question:
The system gets very slow with zooming and replacing DKW charts.

Answer:
Put your display settings on 256 colors. This makes plotting much faster.

More info:
Windows plots bitmap charts fastest with 256 colors. For BSB charts (usually *.jpg), a setting with higher colors is required.
Hilbert

Postby Hilbert » Fri 10 Oct 2003 - 14:36

Question:
I have problems with printing under Windows 2000 or XP in WinGPS Pro 3.2 or earlier.

Answer:
Install the latest update (3.3).
Hilbert

Postby Hilbert » Fri 10 Oct 2003 - 14:37

Question:
How do I get my routes and tracks from my computer at home to my laptop?

Answer:
Install WinGPS Pro and the charts on your laptop as well. Make a copy of the database of WinGPS Pro (standard c:\Program Files\WinGPS Pro\gps.mdb) on floppy and overwrite the empty gps.mdb on your notebook.

More info:
Your database contains all of your route and track info. Make sure WinGPS Pro and the charts are at the same location, otherwise this has to edit other location of the charts with Charts/Chartmanager.
Hilbert

Postby Hilbert » Fri 10 Oct 2003 - 14:38

Question:
WinGPS Pro 3.2 or 3.3.0 does not find the next most detailed chart. Instead an overview chart is found. Probably I also miss certain charts, and my "Show circle" button does not work. How can I solve this?

Answer:
Download en install the latest WinGPS Pro 3.3.1 update and import the BSB charts again.

More info:
The database of WinGPS Pro 3.2 and 3.3.0 was not filled in correctly when BSB charts were imported. Because the chart boundary was set to zero the next detailed chart could not be found.
Hilbert

Return to WinGPS Pro 3