Swinging Mainsail

General question for Sail Simulator (raising sails, pulling sheets, etc.)

Swinging Mainsail

Postby Guest » Mon 01 Mar 2004 - 12:59

Hi, every time when I am sailing in no matter what boat, my main sail starts to swing from left to right and back. It results in capsizing. It happens when I lay my boat with the nose in the wind, so my sail lose its power, and I can put them down (like it is done in the real world).
In this forum I didn't see anyone mention it. Am I the only one with this problem or bug? :cry:

Postby texino » Mon 01 Mar 2004 - 19:49

Hi, it certainly sounds as if you do not have control of the main sail. If you have it set to automatic, the boom should center when you point up.
If not then you will have to sheet the main all the way in as you head up.

I would also wonder what wind speed you are using. In this sim it is possible to set the conditions to all manner of unusual situations. While some of these settings allow you to sail at hyper speeds many of the boats just can't handle them.

Also, if you turn on the auto pilot and the GPS but do not coordinate them properly, the boat will steer itself into trouble.

So, your problem could come from several areas or combinations.
I would try starting with a new scenario with a force 4 or 5 breeze and sail back and forth across the wind with the sails on both auto and control. If you use a joystick, you can set it to sheet the sails as well as reef them. Mine is set to reef (raise and lower) by hitting F2 for the main and F7 for the head sail. I control the sheets by hitting F4 and F9 When I have made the selection I pull the trigger and pull back like I was using a winch. It really helps get the feel.

Anyway, I hope this helps you in some way.

Texino
texino

Return to Sail Simulator - General