Communication & connection GPS

Solutions for common problems encountered in WinGPS Pro 3.

Communication & connection GPS

Postby Hilbert » Fri 10 Oct 2003 - 14:40

Question:
Is my GPS suitable for WinGPS Pro?

Answer:
Every GPS that supports the NMEA-183 protocol, works fine with WinGPS Pro.
Hilbert
Stentec Software Marketing

Postby Hilbert » Fri 10 Oct 2003 - 14:41

Question:
How can I configure the COM-port?

Answer:
You have to match the configuration of your COM-port with that of your GPS. You can configure your COM-port in WinGPS Pro in File/Setup/Communication.

Sometimes it is necessary to configure these as well. You can do this in the Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager. Select Communications Port and choose Properties.

The COM-port configuration in the Control Panel of Windows is usually not important. Most GPS receivers work with the default NMEA-183 protocol. This protocol uses the following properties:
  • Baudrate = 4800
  • Parity = N
  • Bits = 8
  • Stopbits = 1
  • handshaking = None

To some GPS receivers the standard configuration is different. This should be mentioned your GPS's manual (look for NMEA-signal).
Hilbert

Postby Hilbert » Fri 10 Oct 2003 - 14:43

Question:
There is no data transfer from the GPS to my computer. All values of the NMEA Status are zero (using Start Communication/Show NMEA-Status).

Answer:
Check your GPS, cable, Com-port or WinGPS Pro setting:
  • Is your GPS receiving a position ? If not, try the simulation setting of your GPS menu (not in WinGPS Pro).
  • For a Garmin GPS select in the GPS interface menu NMEA/MNEA instead of Garmin/Garmin. It is used for up- or down-loading loading of tracks, waypoints or routes.
  • Is the NMEA-cable connected conform the scheme in the help of WinGPS Pro ? This scheme shows the backside of your notebook, not the connector. Watch the (small) pin numbers. Sometimes pin 2 and 3 are exchanged (see picture)
  • If you are using a Serial to USB interface cable or a NMEA USB Miniplexer-41, first install a virtual COM-port driver with the installation disk. Select the correct Windows version and Com 1, 2, 3 or 4.
  • Check the (virtual) Com-port by right clicking My Computer, than Properties/Device management (or Hardware/Device Management using Xp), and clicking the + of Ports and the + of USB control.
  • There might be a conflict if there are other (demo) version(s) of WinGPS Pro installed. If so back-up your database (gps.mdb) and remove all old versions using Start/Settings/Control Panel/Software.
  • Check if the communication setting of your GPS (see your GPS manual or menue) and in WinGPS Pro is exactly the same as in WinGPS Pro (File/Setup/Communication)? A standard baudrate for a modern GPS is 4800 or even 9600. Much lower values are used for old GPS-reveivers (like 400).
  • You can also use the Windows program "HyperTerminal" to check if your Com-port is receiving data. If not WinGPS Pro will also not receive data. Start up Hyperterminal with Start/Programs/Bureau-accessoires/Communication/HyperTerminal/Hypertrm.exe. Name the new connection "test". In the communication screen at Connect select "Direct to Com 1, 2, 3 or 4". If the COM-port is receiving data you will see NMEA messages starting with $. The standard setup of Win98 does not install Hyperterminal. Use the Win98 CD and Start/Settings/Control Panel/Software/Windows Setup/Select and open communication/Select Hyperterminal and press OK. Windows is now searching for the Hyperterminal setup on your Win98 CD.

More info:
If the communication is OK, the NMEA Status will show also non-zero values (8 or 16), and NMEA Messages will show regulary new NMEA-signals starting with a $ sign (at Show NMEA-massages if you did Start up communication).
Hilbert

Postby Hilbert » Fri 10 Oct 2003 - 14:44

Question:
How to connect my GPS to a serial port?

Answer:
You can buy a cable suitable for this GPS with combined power supply at your GPS supplier. Standard 3-core serial cables are available at Stentec. You can also make a cable yourself out of an old serial mouse.

More info:
Pay attention to the fact that the scheme of the serial port in the help of WinGPS Pro, is the back view of the PC, and not the plug. Also pay attention to the numbers.
Hilbert

Postby Hilbert » Fri 10 Oct 2003 - 14:44

Question:
How to connect my GPS to a USB port?

Answer:
For this problem, you can buy a serial to USB interface cable at Stentec.

More info:
Install the virtual driver with the enclosed installation disk. Select the right Windows drivers, and Com 1, 2, 3 or 4.
Hilbert

Postby Hilbert » Fri 10 Oct 2003 - 14:45

Question:
WinGPS Pro shuts down all of a sudden. It gives a message, sometimes with a pond signal "chart not found", de position is irregular. My track is being drawn down everywhere alllover my screen. How can I solve this?

Answer:
Sometimes your position comes in wrongly. Perhaps your cable picks up disturbance of another machine, or is your cable connection not entirely right. Try if it works allright by connecting only the GPS-NMEA to pin 2 and the return to pin 5 of the serial port. There could also be a mistake in the setting at file/setup/communication, for example the Handshake modus.

Explanation:
You can see disturbance in the NMEA-status and NMEA messages. De status displays a large number of rejected messages, and messages not only built up out of capitals, but also with braces of not-read bits, caused by disturbance. In theory, it can also be caused by signals which the GPS sends to the PC. Perhaps the NMEA183 protocol still is adjustable.
Hilbert

Return to WinGPS Pro 3