A few unanswered question for SS5. Old ships for old times.

General question for Sail Simulator (raising sails, pulling sheets, etc.)

Postby Barry » Sat 09 Jun 2007 - 00:24

As my main interest in using SS5 is creating old sceneries of about two centuries ago from satellite data, which need different boats than a modern maritime simulator limited to present day navigation training and racing, etc.

I have a general idea of what SS5 will include after reading the latest logs, etc but will there be one sailable "old" boat, suitable for coastal work of 2 centuries ago with suitable crew? That is a 4 sided sail for the mainsail not bermudan 3 side sail. Boats could be any size suitable for coastal sailing work and for rivers and estuaries, sailing barges, gaff rig ships, etc, not the big square riggers.

Will there be background boat traffic suitable for sceneries of 2 centuries to a century ago.

Basically what I am asking is will the functions be there to enable the user to create these items and/or available in the default boats that come with it. Or maybe use what I have already made with some alteration although these are fairly basic at present? I know about the boat designer, but do not know what functions that will have as regards old boats or when it will be available.

I enquired probably two years or so ago and there was a mention of background traffic, but don't think I would be interested enough to continue with the Stentec sims. unless they are flexible enough to include these functions in some form.

Anyway any relevant details from Stentec would be appreciated and if not..not to worry.

Barry

:)

P.S Animated dock gates for my docks would be nice also if the forecast obj. file will carry animation and textures OK from Blender :wink:

Barry

Postby ajnasreddin » Sat 09 Jun 2007 - 20:21

I'd like to know a bit more about the "ship designer" mentioned in the log too.

My impression now is that you can "mix and match" preset hulls and sail plans. With all the calculations needed, I can't imagine much more. I've played around with yacht designing (as a hobby) and I have read several books on the subject, for both amatures and professionals (with a couple of text books in between), and pretty much everybody says the certainty of therotical calculations based on a design is pretty low compared to the empirical data of existing boats. But then again, there are so many factors which change the performance of a boat that it is impossible to be 100% sure of anything.

Maybe Stentec has something I don't know about - and if we could import hulls and sail plans and try them out with realistic results, I'd be extremely impressed. I'd also say that SS5 would be beyond anything out there and a sought after program.
ajnasreddin

Postby Barry » Sat 30 Jun 2007 - 13:05

Have read the log of the few things mentioned that are to be included in SS5 but still do not know if it will be of any interest to me as regards creating sceneries and content realevant to the true age of sail of about a century or 2 ago.

One default gaff rig boat with suitable crew NOT in racing gear,
I know a boat designer is mentioned but I proabably could just a easily use Blender for my interests to make what interests me.

Boat traffic (user made maybe suitable for a century or 2 ago) and maybe sailing barges, etc which I can probably make myself.
As it is about 11 weeks off the beta version perhaps a few of these questions could be answered.

I have no interest in navigation or racing as must be about 40 years since I had my own smalll 21 feet sloop, but am interested in trying to create realistic sceneries, based on satellite data with suitable coastal content appropriate to about 2 centuries ago.

So whether SS5 will interest me or not I still have no idea.

Incidentally regarding boat design have a an experiment with building a ships hull or boat yourself using Bender, in say half an hour from one small small single line. Make any shape you want.
:wink:

See latest detailed and illustrated tutorial on my site no 4.
I have tried freeship for building boats but too complex for me to understand except for a basic hull and can't be bothered trying to fathom it out.

With the method I have detailed you start from a small line of half the hull shape in front view, and one straight line for the deck and extrude in sections with a few click of the mouse each time, shaping them as you go all in one operation.

and in half an hour to an hour

or

Maybe 10 minutes for that one (see tutorial) and if you spend a few hours just think what YOU could make. :wink:

And if I can make them I am pretty certain almost anybody can.

Barry

:)
Barry

Postby Tornado8447 » Sat 30 Jun 2007 - 22:47

HI,
@Barry:
If you want to learn more about Freeship, then go to vskfun.com and ask for TOM. He has designed about more then 10 ships for virtualskipper 4 and 5. I think that he knows the programm better then all others :D. He will surely tell you how it works and will answer your questions .

Cheers, Chris
Tornado8447

Postby Barry » Sat 30 Jun 2007 - 23:21

Hello Chris. Will leave Freeship for others as no longer need it for my interests but thanks for posting.

Barry
Barry

Return to Sail Simulator - General